NEWS : Martin wants Chinese scalps

Discussion in 'Singapore / Indonesia / Malaysia Open 2003' started by kwun, Jul 25, 2003.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    The Straits Times

Martin wants Chinese scalps

Former world champ leads strong Danish assault on the S'pore Open

NO DANISH player has ever won a badminton singles title in Singapore since 1987, but all that could change at the Yonex-Sunrise Singapore Open 2003 from Aug 19 to 24.

Denmark have confirmed that they are sending their strongest contingent in years to the $300,000 tournament.

The 1999 world champion Camilla Martin, former world No 1 Peter Gade-Christensen and 1997 world champion Peter Rasmussen spearhead the Danish challenge.

Martin, who has many ardent male fans, will be hoping to improve on last year's showing where she lost to Xie Xinfang 7-11, 10-13 in the second round.

She has had her revenge though, beating Xie 11-1, 11-5 in just 18 minutes to win the Japan Open in April.

The 29-year-old has announced that she will retire at the end of next year.

'It's very important for me to stop, while I'm still playing very good and feeling I can beat the Chinese,' she said.

It is unlikely, though, that she can end the Chinese dominance at the Indoor Stadium.

The last three women's finals have been all-China affairs. China has kept the title since 1998, losing it only to South Korea's Ra Kyung Min in 1994 and former Indonesian star Mia Audina in 1997.

Said Martin: 'The Singapore Open is always a difficult tournament as all the best Chinese players come for it.

'I've always had a difficult time at the stadium, because of the air-conditioning.'

Her former boyfriend Gade is another favourite of Singapore fans.

Nicknamed 'The Flyer' for his quick on-court movements and explosive attacking style, the 1999 World Grand Prix champion missed most of last season after a knee operation.

The 2001 World Championship runner-up marked his comeback by winning the US Open last September, but is still not back to peak form.

The 26-year-old has dropped to No 20 in the world rankings and needed a wild card from the International Badminton Federation to compete in next week's World Championships in Birmingham.

Gade came close to winning here in 1998, losing 10-15, 8-15 to Indonesia's Hendrawan in the final.

If he does upset the form guide, he will be the first non-Asian Singapore Open champion.

Another Peter in the draw is former world champion Rasmussen, who last played here in 1999.

The left-hander shot to fame after beating Sun Jun in the 1997 World Championships final, but was almost forced into retirement by career-threatening injuries.

The 29-year-old, ranked 18th in the world, suffered another ankle injury this year, forcing him out of February's All-England.

Denmark also have a trio of top-10 players who could ignite the Singapore Open - world No 2 Kenneth Jonassen, No 3 Anders Boesen and world No 6 Niels Christian Kaldau.

Jonassen has been Denmark's most consistent player this year, making it to the final eight in the last seven grand prix tournaments.

After losing to defending Singapore Open champion Chen Hong in the final of October's Danish Open, the 29-year-old went on to win the Irish International in December and the Korean Open this April.

Entries have been received from 19 countries, including superpowers Denmark, China, Indonesia and Malaysia.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i noticed that Camilla Martin had dyed her hair brown from photos taken at WC. Deception? If she had dyed black, I'd say she got chinese's scalp :p

#2 cooler, Jul 31, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2003
  3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    may be she thinks if she dyed her hair black, she can play like a Chinese... haha..

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    well, i know that none of the chinese girls really fear CM. If CM dye her hair black, the oddity would distract CM's opponent and could give CM an edge.