NEWS : I'm not pessimistic but realistic: Hansen

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by kwun, May 11, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I'm not pessimistic but realistic: Hansen

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Eva C. Komandjaja, Jakarta Post[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica][/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica]Morten Frost Hansen, the four-time All England champion from Denmark, still looked dangerous on court in his practice game against South African first singles Chris Dednam at the Bung Karno Indoor Stadium last week.

The 46-year-old man, now living and coaching badminton in South Africa, put in a very tough fight against Dednam, who wasn't able to score a point.

Once in a while, Hansen shouted out directions to Dednam on how to play against him.

Hansen showed he was one of the world's badminton stars. His work on shots at times drew applause from the crowd that had casually assembled.

Peter Gade Christensen, his successor as the Danish no.1 shuttler, reportedly comes to him for tips and advice. They are often seated together at matches.

When asked why he ended up coaching in South Africa, he said it was a "long story". It began when he visited South Africa for business in 2000.

"The national badminton association contacted me to offer me the job and I was happy to take it," said Frost Hansen, who coached the Malaysian team between 1997 and 1999.

He would not dream of coaching Denmark -- at least not in the near future -- saying that such a request from the Danish national team would be impossible to fulfill.

Thus, for the moment, he would stay in South Africa.

South Africa is a newcomer to the badminton world and the Danish man is ambitious that he can improve the country's badminton in the future.

Frost Hansen is bringing a total of ten young players, ranging from 17 years of age to 21 years, to the ongoing Thomas Cup and Uber Cup Championships in Jakarta.

The men's team is in Group C, along with Malaysia and Thailand, while the women's team is in Group X with Chinese Taipei and Germany. Both teams were defeated 5-0 in every game they played.

The team has set no targets, knowing that their capabilities are not up to the standards of other participants, including the Danish shuttlers.

"By far, we are the weakest country participating in these championships. I don't expect too much from the team," he said.

"I am not pessimistic, I am just realistic. There is a reason why we're seeded twelfth among twelve teams," he smiled.

"We'll learn a lot from our participation in this competition. It's something that we can bring home with us, and it will help us improve our team," Morten said.

He added that it would take several more years for the South African team to become like Indonesia or Denmark, because not many people were interested in the sport.

"Badminton is only a small sport in South Africa. There are only around 10,000 people interested in badminton there compared to the country's population of 45 million," he said. South Africa, along with other newcomers, such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand benefited from the International Badminton Federation (IBF)'s new rules of qualification, whereby representation from the five continents has been pursued.
    [/font]

2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Frost must still play well, not giving a point to the poor guy, how many points did he get of other players (MAS,THA players)??

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. i read that a few times to make sure that the articles refered to Dedham who didn't score a point. and however, i read it, was the same, Frost beat Dedham. i wonder why Frost doesn't just jump on the court and play in the TC match instead of Dedham. can be a surprise 3rd singles. :)

4. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Morten Frost probably isn't elligible to represent South Africa...

still, the SAfrican #1 not scoring a single point, wow!! :eek:

about Morten Frost NOT wanting to coach Denmark, well I remember quite a few years ago I was lucky enough to meet Morten Frost and have quite a long discussion with him (in fact, he had come to France for business with Forza and found himself at a reception, where just about nobody spoke english, and he couldn't speak french, so we found ourselves chatting together quite a while...), this was just before he left Denmark to go and coach Malaysia and his relations with the other Danish coaches were apparently very bad, that's why he left...
    ... and that's probably why he won't go back to train the national team! :)

Not directly related but still funny : at the same period, the south african U17 team had come to train at our centre for one week or two during a european tour (I was at that time in a youth high-level training centre), maybe some of them are in the Thomas and Uber Cup teams now? :)
    (I can't remember their names at all)
    I never thought at that time that Morten Frost could become the south african coach!! ;)