New Scoring System

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Byro-Nenium, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I was in the shop the other day with my Fleet Ti-99 getting it restrung with an Ashaway Microlegend string @ 22lbs and the lady restringing my racket asked me what system i played.

I thought there was only 1 so she explained to me about the new 9 point, 5 set system. I think it would be easier for less fit people to play but it would be less exciting. Anyone have any opinions?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    byro,

there is another older thread which has some bit of discussion. at this point, i really think there is no point objecting to such a change. from the amount of effort IBF has put into promoting this new change, it looks like it will be implemented in the end. there will be a vote by the IBF council this weekend, but i have a feeling that it is just a formality.

it is quite sad that IBF has sold out and has jeopardized the game of badminton in favor of TV stations. but then, what can we do?

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Your right Kwun. I was just asking about the new system not objecting to it. I would prefer the game the way it is but your right, Hey what can we do?

4. I also agree with Kwun and would like the game to stay as it is. The new ystem now under discussion is however not a 5 x 9
    system, but a 5 x 7 system. The 5 x 7 has been tested at the World Junior Championships and other trails will follow, among
    which the Swiss Open next March. We tried the 5 x 9 system, which was originally an initiative from Norway, a few years ago
    at the Dutch Open. It seemed to work very well in single's, but many had their reservations as to whether it was as succesful
    for doubble's. I don't think a 5 x 7 system will raise more sympathy.

Erik

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i think dividing the match from 15x3 to a 9x5 scoring system is livable but chopping off 10 points to achieve a 7x5 is really gonna degrade the game and challenge of badminton.