NEW: Fixed Height Experiment for Service

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by CantSmashThis, Jan 10, 2013.

1. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Why do you think so?

I disagree; I think the chance to win a rally when serving should be slightly less than 50%. This means that the winner of the last rally has a slight disadvantage. This negative feedback makes games more close and suspenseful.

ucantseeme likes this.
  2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

No at all. As @Ch1k0 said, it's only a matter of giving the service judges and umpires proper training and guts to call service faults consistently. If players realize that they will lose point after point if they continue their illegal services, they will change their habits in no time.

As much as this sounds tempting from a server's perspective, I think that this would give too much advantage on the server. As @phihag corretly said, it's intended that the receiver should have a slight advantage to keep the games close.

3. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Honestly, it doesn't just fix the issues with foul serves.

As it stands now, the shuttle *must* travel upwards to pass the net.

The inherent issue with this, is that a short player abiding the rules can't serve as high as a tall player can. The tall player can be tall enough, like VA, to cause them to have to lower their serve anyway to get that upward trajectory.

I don't think I've ever seen the upward trajectory part enforced, that seems crazy difficult to judge.

Not only does this level the service height between players like LCW and VA - and I'm betting LCW's maximum legal height right now is below 1.15m, given how tall he is, it also kills off another ambiguity and complication to service rules.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I agree with this rule - I don't think height should be an advantage before the rally has even started.

I despise tennis for the colossal advantage it gives the server - you can be **** at the rest of the game and still win if you've got an ICBM of a serve, and that ain't right, IMO - so I approve of anything that evens things out at the beginning.

(Could there be some sort of invisible UV beam sweeping the court at a 1.15 m height that the service judge can see with special glasses? Would make the judging easier and open up the possibility of video review for faulted serves.)

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    As an active player, IMO this rule sucks. Not beeing very tall or tiny, I have a huge problem with this rule. I don't care for professional badminton, here are officials sitting at the court to judge.

For my own games this rule is impossible to use. Playing league or tournaments, I can say to my opponent that he served obvious too high, impossible to do a drive service. We always agreed to play a let which was always fair on both sides and the easiest solution without getting into a fight.

I always had a slightly clue in terms of anatomy what is too high when it was obvious. Now, with 1.15 rule I don't have any reference point. I'm here not talking about services at 1.149 and 1.151, for me it's now nearly impossible to have a clue if somebody serves legal or illegal. To prove this in recreational, training matches and even league games and tournaments makes it more difficult. I measured the high of 1.15 and it's higher than I normaly serve. My height is around 1.80m. So even giving me an advantage for my own serve, IMO this rule is for normal players a curse.

I played sometimes, a while ago, versus a 2.06m high giant and tbh serving was not his only advantage. Better angles, less moving, bigger steps... I'm not crying about this, I accepted it. He had in other areas disadvantages which even everything out.

6. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I'm 5'6, I love this rule

7. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    1.15m is above my lower rib

8. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I thought it was a joke. If implemented I'm royally screwed due to my height. If only I was normal sized and below 6....

9. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I dont see the problem. The shuttle is meant to travel upwards first anyway.

10. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I can no longer serve almost straight with slightly angled racket. :D Another BC'er who plays with me and has similar height will struggle. I have another friend above 7ft who thankfully is not competitive enough to be bothered by it but overall it seems really annoying for players that are quite tall.

#170 swsh, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  11. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    it's what you deserve you steep angled smash b*stards :)

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Now short players like Okuhara can serve from the chest...

13. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I think there is also no advantage for short players. It's biomechanic. If I need to pull my shoulder up to have racket in a downward direction pointing and also need to pull the hand which hold the shuttle up for backhand serve, I don't see any advantage for small players. Would look like this:

[​IMG]

14. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Isn't the below the waist rule still in play?

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Don't think so, that'd be confusing for the service judge to keep track of both parameters simultaneously. Perhaps @phihag would know?

16. Phonjomtien

Phonjomtien New Member

I was interested to receive your feedback on the slight disadvantage of serving in badminton. Whilst I don't agree that the server should be disadvantaged I do agree that this is the current situation as can be seen when a big majority of pairs elect to receive after winning the service toss. I can't think of another racquet sports where the server is at a dusadvantage

Sent from my U FEEL using Tapatalk

17. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Um, isn't the situation in Squash quite similar? Outside of racket sports, pretty much all sports aim for (slight) negative feedback. For instance, in nearly all games where possession of a ball is an advantage (American football, basketball, handball, hockey, rugby, soccer, ...) it is extremely common that a team that gets scored against gains possession of the ball.

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    how will they know if the service is above 1.15m?

how will this rule be enforced?

hope they have an app for this...

19. hew128

hew128 Regular Member

Previously IT
    Was there any logic behind this new rule eg justification?

Or is WBF trying to tell us they given up trying to police a proper service? Or is it they have given up trying to teach players how to serve properly world wide???

20. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I think it’ll be easier for service judges overall, in spite of skepticism. The old system wasn’t exactly easy to call, remember when Chen long tucked his top into his shorts to show where his waist was?

Also, where is the bottom of the net height wise? If the top is 1.55 and the net is 40cm tall itself... that’s an easy reference