New Badminton tournament: The 2012 Axiata Cup

Discussion in 'Axiata Cup 2012' started by chris-ccc, Feb 5, 2012.

1. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Then you know that spectators did have a good time....and MD was intense thru the end...and you dont think INA team did not put a good fight??

2. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Oops.....hint: MAS team had a flight to catch at 8.30 pm.....From Kelapa Gading to Airport could take 1 hour...

3. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

shhhhh ;) It's ok what. THey are not playing in Osaka IC or Australia.

4. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I believe they will be playing French and Dutch and had early flight to catch...

5. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Now i know... I was about to send you a PM just now, but BC replied me that my inbox were full, i need to delete some messages so that i could send a PM or receive a new PM.. Sorry about that.. i do not realize that my message box were full since my inbox still indicate 96, however i did not check the sent items which is 4....my bad of not clearing the messages...

6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

This again highlights the "rushness" associated with this event. They could have arranged matches to be on Friday & Sunday.....players don't have to rush to airport. At the end, they ended up exhausted just because of the hassle of travelling to and fro. It's not about the "only" 2 hrs flight-time...but the total time that it takes for players to reach the hotel & then the stadium to play.

7. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Thank you very much, Axiata.... :D We certainly need the money to further strengthen INA's foreign currency reserve... hehehe... And this way, more parents in INA will wanna support their children to become badminton players. Apparently lots of $$$$$$$$... ;)

Yea, PBSI is sorta screwed up, but most likely still better than BAM... :p

8. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Not only that Badmania, some of them had to withdraw from tournaments, just for the sake for this Axiata Cup.
    Ramdan, Iskandar, Ow/Chooi, Nelson/Teo were withdrawn from Finnish Open & Osaka. Zul gave walkover for Vietnam IC.
    And then, the others rush off the Aust Open, they are only flying tomm - Daren, Goh/Lim, maybe Arif. If KKK was not sick, originally Goh/Lim was not scheduled to play tonight.
    I think the organisers only look at the tourneys effecting the top players like SS, GP Gold, and then forgot abt the juniors.

INA side, I remember you all saying Vito is effected. Of course, most of those involved in Aust Open will also be effected with the rushing off to Aust Open

9. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    We did ask that..the problem is Astro and ANTV have soccer matches and need certain times to air this event....again..badminton is still 2nd child and also it is a dilemma...we need to air LIVE event and TSA has no power to bargain as TV stations have more say....trust me!! this is easy what you think..
    Remember Axiata spent more than 1 Millon dollars and even timing is off..at least we have US$ 1 million event and INA players treated this event as part of Thomas cup..( just read kompas.com what Sigit Pamungkas said about this event)
    also blocking the stadium is another matter as well...

10. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Axiata Fine Tuning

I applaud Axiata for offering such an attractive prize money as it is indeed one of the main crucial ingredient for the growth of badminton.

But sometimes for the interest of the sport, throwing in huge sums of money with so much over-zealousness without the technical know-hows does has its setbacks.

Today was my first time watching the semi-finals and the moment I sat down to enjoy the game, my eye on the tournament shuttle was greatly distracted by that electronic banner advertising a myriad of products (obviously by the sponsors). After a while, I was really feeling frustrated by the annoyance created by that media. I admit the sponsors were getting their money's worth with the advertisement strategically located in front of the tv viewer's at home, but at what cost? At the cost of distracting viewers? I think even I would be distracted as a player playing at the court side directly facing this advertising tool. I am sure LD would have complained this to the umpire too.

And those horns and trumpets blowing none stop, it's like you walk into a classroom with the teacher giving a lecture and all of the students are throwing paper aeroplanes and making noises and nobody's paying attention to the teacher. Similar to this tournament. It's like the spectators enjoy blowing the horns more than they are watching the tournament. Sure I get that they want their teams to win but once again, it's the over-zealousness that kills the atmosphere for me.

And the music being played is really not conducive or suitable for the sport. This is a sport for sport's sake. It's like you bought tickets to attend a rock concert by metallica band named Scorpion.

The Malaysian Tigers showed flashes of brilliance here and there but I think after world class players get a chance to watch such perfomance by Malaysian players (minus LCW), I think they would really have a good laugh. Really and honestly. They must think Malaysian badminton is joke if it weren't for LCW being there.

I applaud the opportunity given to younger players to shine (which is necessary) but the performances given looked like kids competing against old timers.

The only match where Malaysian Tigers came close to winning at all was the MD. I lost count the number of times one of them (forgive me, I forgot his name) wasted crucial points just serving into the net or serving short. It's like he just learned how to serve. Their game was getting points with attack and losing points with the serve. I could mentally foresee the score points every time they serve and every time they receive a serve. It's that easy. The other partner has good deceptive drops to the middle of the opponents' court but fails to correct himself even after countless pushes out of the baseline.

Liew Darren showed moments of brilliance with quick reflexes but I think he was too inexperienced to handle the pressure of playing 1st singles. His movements looked flat footed and his defending is full of holes.

Arif is the one who played most badly of them all. His whole game looked like he had no strategy and preparation likewise going blindly into the match hoping for the best. I understand that he is facing a tough player like Taufik but the amount of errors that he made was really astounding.

Maybe all 3 matches showed that they crumbled under pressure with Arif being the most evident.

I would even go as far to say that Rashid and TSB wanted to go hide themselves after Arif's performances. But then again, maybe his match was already a lost cause and thereby he was not giving his full attention.

Darren's and Arif's shooting and attacking lobs are being used so much it's to the detriment of their game. If you want to use shooting lobs (which are lower than high lobs), then be prepared that opponents are going to intercept you which is what Simon and Taufik did. Darren and Arif could not figure out where to go because the return shot came back before they even had the chance to get ready.

11. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Freelance editor/Aspiring writer (someday) :)
    The players didnt see the advertisement, all they saw was blank green-colored boards. The viewers watching via tv could see it, obviously the advertisement strategy worked since Pakito complained.

12. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    Honestly, this green board in the stadium is a good idea, TV viewers can see it but players cannot see it. It does not disrupt the players. As for the trumpets and horns, well they do it as well in football matches.

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    An Axiata Badminton League?

Me too. :D:D:D

I like idea of the Axiata Cup to be formatted like a Badminton League for Badminton clubs, and have it called the Axiata Badminton League.

Just follow the same way the UEFA Champions League is conducted (for Soccer). Players can be real professional players. Clubs can bring in players from anywhere around the world.

The way in which Soccer is played is excellent, and it has a BIG following (worldwide). Why not follow the UEFA Champions League format?

I hope organisers from Axiata are reading our suggestions. ;););)

14. dan92

dan92 Regular Member

Since Indonesia already won the cup, they should let Markis kido/Hendra, alvent/Hendra to gain OG points.

As 2 spot in OG for MD's is more important than whose team win this competition.
    And Shesar Vito should be fielded for more exposure.
    the Line up Garuda vs Rajawali:
    1. Simon vs Rumbaka
    2. Ahsan/bona vs Ryan/Angga
    3. Sony Dwi Kuncoro vs Vito

Let Taufik sit back and enjoy his tea. lmfao

15. rosid

rosid Regular Member

Student
    OK I'm wrong. I just said what I thinking as a spectators in home, not in stadium. I didn't say that I were not enjoyed it, but I was disappointed. :D. Actually ANTV stopped broadcast the match of Hayom vs Iskandar at the end of 2nd games. I didn't watch the whole match.

Don't be made lah... forgive me..:D

16. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

Assessment of the replacements.

MAS

Daren Liew Age 25
    Dont hope he'll turned up to be LCW. We will be lucky he turns up a Foo Kok Keong. Realistically, I will be happy if he could reach the status of Sho Sasaki and Nguyen Tien Minh in 2 years time. Under no illusions he is world champ material. No defence and no speed.

Arif Mohammed Age 23

If Daren have been given time to improve and may still improve then I'll be kind to Arif and keep him as seat warmer for the next batch. His contempories like Kenichi Tago and Chen Long are already scaling top flight but he has actually gone backwards.

He used to have a powerful smash from the centre line a la all the Indonesians. Now I dont know whether he is a stroke player or power Player?

Juniors

Of the 3 juniors, Iskandar would be the one who would make it through. He has a big heart. Fight for every shuttle. Good Defence. He needs to built up on his armory and when he has the chance be more positive rather than play the deft play. I believe he can improve on his smashes. all he needs to do now is to improve on strategy and choice shots (experience will take care for that). The fact that when he loses the point he doesnt droop his head but got up for the next rally speaks well for himself. I think he is also the strongest mental wise among the 3 juniors.

Problem is BAM is not sending him to many tournaments. Such a gem should not rot 100 ranking.
    Give him more exposure, he may be in the top 5 in 2 years time.

17. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

Now to the INA singles

Indonesia has brighter future in next 2 years in Tommy Sugiarto and Rumbaka both have classic INA singles styles. Rumbaka has the better touch and skill of the two but Tommy is stronger mental wise and more consistent.

But they lacked speed and domineering presence. At times they were at lost of what to do. Remember both of them are not juniors actually and at 24 should be able to make a dash for the top 10. Both have not been able to last the pace. May reach quarter finals in one SS tournament then out in early rounds the next. Sony was already top 10 at 21 and Simon at 23. Both these players still struggling.

In fact the Axiata cup laid bare their volatility as they werent able to dominate the Malaysian Juniors and had to battle to win. At least they are better than MAS of the same age group.

PBSI and BAM still have a lot of home work to do for their future.

18. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker

I agree with these assessment, Iskandar has the right mental attitude. Just need to put him in more tournaments and improve his stamina.

19. Mr Norak

Mr Norak Regular Member

I was watching one of the videos and the commentator mentioned Badminton Central :eek:

20. starbucklover

starbucklover New Member

admin