Need tips on how to drop past the 1hr mark for a racquet to be strung...

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by ninja801, May 16, 2023.

1. ninja801

ninja801 Regular Member

hello, so long time reader but first time posting. I have a cheap no fixed clamp, drop weight machine with 6 point holding.

im struggling to get under the hour mark on stringing a racquet. the first 10-15 mins i have been able to do the main strings, but the rest takes me so long. I know i lose time trying to get in the shared holes, ive used a string mover and pliers to feed the string in and still find it touch and go.

tying off, ive tried learning the gudgeon knot

weaving, im doing a weave before tensioning the cross before

is it the tensioning part that takes the longest ?

any tips that i can use to minimise the time spent on the machine ? or is the only way to get a new machine ?

Thanks for your help in advance

2. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

3. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Using Tooth Floss for shared grommets:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...u-a-shared-grommet-tooth-floss-method.147404/

And to get around a blocked grommet without using an awl
    Overcoming blocked grommet with scrap string:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...locked-cross-grommet-use-scrap-string.150903/

Your weaving of crosses will speed up over time and repetition.

I'd also use loose scrap string for grommets at the head covered by mains for > 72 holed rackets. This method is also useful for the grommets covered at the bottom for the mains where you jump from B9 to B12. You simply use the scrap string to pull the mains upwards/downwards to create enuf space to weave your cross through.

And this method: https://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/stringing-technique.169091/#post-2527977

#3 DarthHowie, May 16, 2023
    Last edited: May 16, 2023
  4. ninja801

ninja801 Regular Member

thanks for the help, i find it hard to feed aerosonic at the end of a weave going out of a shared grommet, i try the string mover, some times it takes me a while feeding it through, i might try the tooth floss method. Thanks @DarthHowie and @akatsuki2104

5. akatsuki2104

Are you feeding the string by hand or with a plier ?

DarthHowie likes this.
  6. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Very good question. We are under the assumption that you are using pliers to feed/push the string through the shared hole. In normal circumstances we'd expect there to not be any issues threading through shared holes with thin strings like Aerosonics (0.61mm)

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  7. ninja801

ninja801 Regular Member

i am feeding with a plier, however I may be feeding it incorrectly, sometimes i feed it and the string gets bent, have to trim it then try again
    ive tried moving the main with a string mover and feeding and usually that helps.

8. akatsuki2104

If the string bent, the bits of string you are holding is too long.
    Also pay attention to the angle when you push the string, point it up or down may allow you to push the string without effort.

kakinami, ninja801 and DarthHowie like this.
  9. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

You will get there. My first rackets were over 2 hours, first one was a 1995 Prince Axis 64 18 mains 19 crosses, or maybe 16 mains 19 crosses, well it was over 2 hours for me to do one of those. With lots of practice you will become more efficient in your stringing (I don't like to use the word fast). @akatsuki2104 just made a stringing video, I am sure when he started he was not under the 30 minute mark. I think his video is pretty good, and I picked up a few things from him. @s_mair has some good videos. There is another guy on a Victor machine sorry drawing a blank but he has some videos. Just practice and you will get there.
    If I were to string that Prince racket today I can maybe do it a little more efficient now!

Sent from my SC-01L using Tapatalk

thyrif likes this.
  10. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I like to cut the string at an angle, the sharp tip I would have it at the top and angle up, if that doesn't work then the sharp tip would be at the bottom and angle down, it usually works for me. Last option would to do the same thing but with a string mover/awl as a string mover. Push the string down and angle up or pull the string up and angle down. Sorry I use an awl as a string mover, never got used to that tool even though it has more useful features.

11. akatsuki2104

Hahaha yes, my first racket was done in about 1h30. It was really fiddly as I had to count the grommets, figuring out the pattern of the racket.
    With practice, every moves will become smoother and smoother.
    It's like on the court, you have too practice your shadow footwork to become smoother, more efficient hence, faster

DarthHowie likes this.
  12. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

You'll get there, don't worry too much. Wanting to improve, researching on the forums and checking out videos (but maybe not on the stringing horrors - thread :p) of people here stringing will help you improve slowly. No rush!

The hook: resting your arm on the 6 or 12 o clock supports helps, you can then pull with your fingers in a steady direction. A little twist also seems to help sometimes. I can then feed the aerosonic through with my hand. (as part of aerobite-set)

My first racket took me 2.5 hours! Took me 15 rackets to get to an hour. Only after 100 rackets was I close to 45mins on average.

kakinami likes this.
  13. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Sh*t!!! 1:30?!!!! 22x20 racket?!!! I was doing a 18x19 racket and it took me 2 hours and 30 minutes!!! =)
    Practice, Practice, Practice!!!

14. akatsuki2104

Hahahaha in your defense, you haven't much ressources compare to now and all the videos around here and YouTube.
    It is way more accessible and easier to learn now :D

Envoyé de mon SM-S918B en utilisant Tapatalk

kakinami likes this.
  15. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I have no defense =)
    I actually started in a badminton shop and I didn't play badminton. I was a sandwich maker at a sandwich shop (Togo's in San Jose) and the badminton guys would come for lunch. They bought like 10,000 Prince rackets on closeout and needed them strung, so for extra money they asked if I wanted to learn, I said sure why not. So I never played badminton but I was learning to string them that is how I got started on a 2 hour and 30 minute first racket =) I think I misweaved too =)

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  16. ninja801

ninja801 Regular Member

so ive cut down to past the hour mark, ive opted to use AK's awl option to move the string in some tight areas and it seems to be alot easier to get the string in. I will definately keep on practicing. Thanks for everyones input

kwun, thyrif and akatsuki2104 like this.
  17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I heard they were still trying to get rid of some of those 10,000 rackets, from decades ago. :D

kakinami likes this.
  18. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Plural decades. I wasn't selling them. It was a badminton shop in San Jose, one of the first, probably the first pro shop for badminton in California, started by a badminton enthusiast who loves the sport and always used to give back to the community by having clinics and special summer badminton camps for high school students. Clinics were always free to the high schools. Shout out to Andy Gouw for always wanting to promote badminton as a sport back in the 80' and 90's even early 2000's

kwun likes this.