neck injuries

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Rachel55, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Rachel55

Rachel55 New Member

I am 55 and play 2 to 3 times a week with some youngsters of 20 and 24. I have no trouble keeping up and they are pretty fast games. I don't seem to have any of the 5 common injuries but I am really suffering with neck pain and spasm after games especially on the opposite side to my playing arm. The 24 year old is a foot taller than me and forces me into a lot of high shots I can't seem to get out of. I used to consistently beat him but last few weeks he has been thrashing me and my neck is getting worse. I am using heat and lots of ibuprofen but the stiffness and pain is constantly there. I really hope I am not too old to play anymore as our games are the highlight of the week!! Any tips? We are only regular players not in a club or anything so maybe it is just bad technique but I would love to get better and pain free (and not get thrashed anymore!)

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Try icing instead of heat. Also stretching more before and after.

3. Rachel55

Rachel55 New Member

Thanks I have tended to use heat but will try ice and see if that helps. I do some stretching and head circles but will research some more effective warm ups.