National Level

Discussion in 'UK' started by bassam, Sep 20, 2003.

1. skates

skates Regular Member

Designer. Also working with Lee Jae Bok promoting
    Badminton Clubs in and around Colchester

Pak Hou

Telephone this sports center and ask if any badminton clubs play at the center.
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    Tiptree Sports Centre

Maypole Rd
    Tiptree
    Colchester
    Essex

Tel: 01621 817499
    [/font]

Also, try

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
    [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Stanway Badminton Club
    Stanway School
    Winstree Rd
    Stanway
    Colchester
    Essex
    [/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tel: 01206 330917[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I found a club called Colchester Nomads [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Badminton Club. Sorry Don't have a telephone number.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You could check out.

St. Mary Magdalen Badminton Club
    [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]the oldest recorded club in the Colchester Federation (which was founded in 1948), although the club had been running for some twenty years prior.[/font]

I just got in from two hours of playing so I'm a bit tired. I'll have another look for you tomorrow.

Best regards

Skates

[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/font]

2. other

other Regular Member

Student
    best thing to do is to go to the club, even if u don't play and just watch....i'm sure they will let you:)

its true, unless they have rankings, and sometimes even then, it's impossible to tell how "good" they are:) therefore comparing notes with friends is often pointless, since there is no set standard for us to talk against...(strange use of language:))

anyways....just turn up and watch....they won't charge you.

3. Pak Hou

Pak Hou Regular Member

Student
    Thanks

Hello, cheers skates yeah I ll definitely phone them after school tomorow, hey by the way the site is under construction the link you gave me ;) dont matter.

4. other

other Regular Member

Student
    oh yeah, most counties do a U18 restricted (i think that means non-county players...not sure) tournament once a year....see if you can get in for your county's one. it gives you an idea of your competition-of course, the training things do as well:)

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Just out of interest how did Bassam our original poster get on?

6. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Many people go onto the forums and ask how they get into England /national squads.

For many people their dream is to play for England. Thats fine as a dream but you have to break that down to medium and short term goals and decide if your commitment is in line with your goals. If you have the necessary commitment and the talent, support, access to training ,luck you may have a shot.

For all those who apsire to be top players I would suggest they first:

Enter the relevant age group tournaments:
    If you are u15 that would be the u15 events and nationals and probably the u17 nationals

if you are u17 then the top u17 events/nationals and u19 events/nationals plus lower senior tournaments

if you are u19 the u19 events, nationals and the senior challengers/opens/nationals!

Until you are playing these events you will have no idea of your level or the level of the competition.

As an example of the sort of training you can be doing even outside of a squad: Train physically for 2 hours a day six days a week, i.e. (running before school, weights if old enough, circuits, intervals)

Train on court for ten hours a week: footwork, routines , matches

If you can do this for a few months then you can start to ask about accessing national training, there are no shortcuts. You need to the number 1 player for singles or doubles in your age group in the country to have a shot at making it as senior national and even then probably only 1 out of 3 no.1 juniors progresses.

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Spot on - here here!

8. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    Restricted Age Tournaments such as (U-18 U-16) for example are often restricted on the area and not the abilites u should enter many of these tournaments and open tournament and hopefully win.

Even the best numbers of youngsters of England don't make it into senior international levels fpr example even being a national or european junior champion dosen't say that the player will be able to translate this into senior levels. There are only a few would make it, and even when you have the life isn't easy at all i know some juniors who could make it and some senior england internationals who have made it you need total enjoyment in the sport otherwise you won't make it.

i know the position your in (im marginally younger than you) get into a club and train hard and play often in tournaments and at least top county standard playing at a seeded 1 or 2 position :eek: :rolleyes: