My first day back to Wembley

Discussion in 'World Championships 2011' started by AlanY, Aug 10, 2011.

1. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Today is my first day back to Wembley for almost 20 years. Outside the Arena the surrounding area has changed beyond recognisable with new hotels, apartments/complex all over the place. Inside is just the opposite, the same old Arena as 20, 30 years ago.

It’s about 20 mins walk from the rail station to the Arena, being late already thus decided to stop for a quick bite. There must be about 30-50 places along the way that one can have a quick lunch. After I settled down to attack my burger, CHIEN Yu Chin and TAI Tzu Ying (Taiwan) came in the same café! They ordered burgers as well. Tai is young and quite small, but Chien is not only tall but with a board shoulder like a swimmer.

Anyway, on the way to the Arena bumped into India’s top WD GUTTA and PONNAPPA in slippers with wet hair. Probably they just had shower after their morning practice session. Then Ma Jin and Xu Chen get off the hotel bus and walk away from the Arena. Ma Jin did smile to me when I said hello.

My seat is right in the middle thus quite popular for players/coaches. LYD was on video duty running up and down the stair during the Lin Dan match. Two of the Japanese staffs in front of me were busy taking notes of their players that are not on the TV court. Gill Clark and her commentator mates were behind me high up as well.

During the interval I bumped into Wang Shixian and Zhang Nan (China) while they are waiting for their turn to sign autographs. I asked Zhang Nan is he confident to win, YES was the answer. He is a polite and handsome young man. Wang Shixian didn’t said much but with a very sweet smile.

On the way walk back to the station seen Tine B and her old man walking back toward the Arena, causally hand in hand and busy talking to each other. Just like any young couple have a walk on a summer day after dinner.

Today’s matches weren’t much to talk about, hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

#1 AlanY, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. logicalguy

logicalguy Regular Member

Yup, I was there on Monday and got a photograph taken with India's Ajay Jayram... how cool is that!! Man he is tall!!

3. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

Great story...........keep it coming.........

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    can someone post pictures? picture is worth a thousand words. :)

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Yes, we need pictures from this year WC!