My All England Trip Report

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2005' started by andymcg, Mar 14, 2005.

1. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    No extra point was given. It went to second-server straight away.

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I disagree. The umpire must have the ultimate control and decision. The line-judges are only his/her helpers. For instance, if the shuttle falls way out, and for some reason, the line-judge calls it in, the umpire should have the power to overrule. Previously, he can only ask for the line-judge to be replaced, which is too late. It is best if we can do away with line-judges altogether. They do impede viewing.

3. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

alright. :eek: my mistake. big big mistake. sorry for giving you all the wrong picture. and making you do all those reasonings for nothing :eek:

4. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

Actually it was Cai Yun serving to the Danes... The service was called "in" by the linesjudge but was clearly a "short" service if you view the replay... So the umpire overruled the linesjudge's decision and so it was the second serve for the Chinese... The Chinese thought it was "in" and so did Li YB (I assume), that's why they argued the case with the umpire...

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, last night I took a look at my taped replay. This was what happened:

Michael Fyrie-Dahl of Norway was the umpire. I hate to say that he obviously did not update himself with the calls as he was still sticking to the very, very old call of "second service" instead of "second server" every time when the serve went to the second server. I hope the IBF has taken note of that so that there will not be further confusion by so-called qualified umpires themselves!

The Chinese had won the service and led 10-6. Cai served to Paaske. The Chinese won the point again 11-6 and then Cai served to JR from the Left Court. This was the serve that caused all the commotion and confusion!.

The shuttle landed close to JR's short service line. Apparently the linejudge, a big lady, must have called 'in', ie, a good serve from Cai, but JR disputed and umpire Dahl agreed with him (the replay also confirmed) and overruled the linejudge's decision and called out "second service", meaning Cai's serve was short and therefore was a fault and service then went to the second server, Fu. But Cai and Fu thought Cai's serve was good and Cai went over to his head coach, LYB, for clarification, which is not allowed under the rules, unless during the official breaks. So there were some shouting and gesticulation between Cai and LYB to straighten things out.

Nevertheless, the umpire stood firm and play continued with the Chinese losing the first serve and then Fu having to do the second serve. IMO, although he was right in his decision, the umpire did not make it clear to the players, maybe because of the language problem for the Chinese, that had led to this unsatisfactory state of affairs.

Of course, there were no points awarded during this melee and the score remained at 11-6 in the Chinese' favour, but now it was Fu's turn to do the second serve as instructed by the umpire. :D

#25 Loh, Mar 15, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  6. laughable c.

laughable c. Regular Member

to burn a hole(s) in my seat - more difficult than
    andycmg, didn't you say you would upload some pictures? ;)

7. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

i apologise then. like i tod hcyong, i did think i heard the score read to be 12- after the hiccup, and 2nd server. i guess i was wrong.

you can imagine my embarassment now esp since i told my mom the same thing when we watched the match together (along with my bro). :eek: :eek:

might sorry for ruining the thread content.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Not to worry, Anatolii. We all learn from this extraordinary incident and are better for it. :) Good to note that your mom too is a badminton 'addict'. :D

9. Dzgdz

Dzgdz Regular Member

finance
    Loh,

perfectly described, it was exactly as you said.

The umpire should have announced his decision more clearly. From the other hand the Chinese players (as well as other players) should be aware from that experimental rule. I think that the umpire should also worn CY for consultation with his coach.

regards

dzgdz

10. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer

laughable c - There is another thread, titled Various All England Pics. There are about 12 pics or so in there. I will try and put some more up if I get the chance.