MS Last 8 Match-ups

Discussion in 'All England 2003' started by whizkelv, Feb 13, 2003.

1. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Now place your bets for the last 8 ties :D

Chen Hong vs Lee TS 60-40
    Kenneth J vs Roslin Hashim 50-50
    Xia XZ vs Chen Yu 80-20
    Yong HK vs Hafiz Hashim 50-50

Though my expectations for matches involving the Hashim brothers is 50-50, my pick for the match-of-the-day will be Chen Hong vs Lee TS.... Expect a fiery and fast- paced encounter between the 2 attacking players.

Personally, I do hope that Lee TS will pull-off a major upset!:D

2. ronk

ronk Regular Member

I would give Yong the edge over Hafiz because according to Coach Misbun, as cited in the Star, Yong has been really hot in training.

Ron

3. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

But don't forget who's the 'real' disciple of Misbun. For Yong to win, he has to go all on his own means, while Hafiz will have the coach's backing.
    Similar to Lee TS, if he were to play Roslin in semis... assuming both clear their tough last 8 hurdles.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Like Ron, I'm going for Yong HK. (though I have been wrong b4):D

I'm not sure that this 'disciple' thing is going to influence things greatly. The best player has to win for himself ...and the country...

5. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Yong and Hafiz know each other's game well. If Yong is hot and has been beating Hafiz during reecnt practice, Yong will have a big psychological edge. Both are stroke players and are less likely to smash continuously. The coach cannot truly affect the outcome by giving advice to Hafiz as Yong is a smart player and can device his own strategy. If Misbun is smart, he will concentrate on the player who has the best chance to win the tournament outright, and among the Malaysians left, Yong is probably the best prospect even though all four with a bit of luck can win the tournament. I still give an edge to Yong.

Ron

6. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

In Malaysia, the word 'smart' is a pretty subjective one...!:p

7. rejang

rejang Regular Member

I hope and believed that YOng Hock Kin can emerged the winner. He has the potential to win the tournament. It will be extremely interesting tif he does as he is not in the national squad named by Misbun a few days ago. It will definitely land Misbun in a sensitive position if Yong does win the AE. Also will make things extremely exciting in M'sia badminton if he does win cos the country will have 2 top international players in Ong Ewe Hock (still within the top 10?) and Yong outside of BAM with (still at the moment) no home.

8. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Yong has to take one match at a time. Compared to Hafiz, Yong had a more straight forward 3rd round. The others were up against opponents with more fearsome reputation. Lee took on Marleve, Roslin was against Shon and Hafiz against Boesen. However, I personally feel that Yong's ability and potentail is still the best, and I like his "don't talk big, but think big" attitude, as the great Datuk Eddy Chong always says.

9. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Not true that Yong had the easiest draw.

Yong Hock Kin on paper had the hardest route to the quarter finals. He had to beat the highest seed out of the tournament, Wong Choong Hann (2nd seed), to make it into the third round. He also had to beat the 15th seed Hidetaka YAMADA (I agree that Hidetaka was probably over rated). Lee TS on the other hand had the easiest route. He had to beat Dicky P (unseeded) and Marleve (unseeded).

Yes the seeding is flawed as there are several players stronger than some of the seeds (Marleve, some of the Malaysians for example), but because of inactivity did not get seeded. But, Yong did not get freebies, and had to play a hot Wong who had won 2 tournaments recently.

Ron

#9 ronk, Feb 14, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2003
  10. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Any idea on what time the first match of the day starts?
    According to the schedule, Chen Hong vs Lee TS will be the second match of the day.
    However, the time was not stated.:mad:

11. ronk

ronk Regular Member

At least 2 Malaysians are through to the semi-finals. Roslin won his tie quite easily at 15-4, 15-13. Either Yong or Hafiz will make it through in the bottom quarter. Hafiz will truly be inspired to try to make it through as well. This All-England might be a first if the 2 brothers meet in the final. Imagine an all-Malaysian, all-family, All-England. Men's singles would begin to look like Women's tennis :).

Ron

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    OK, no more predictions from now from now on.

Anything I predict goes the wrong way - like Murphy's law.

Interesting tournament so far.

Wonder how things will shape up for the World Champs.

13. ronk

ronk Regular Member

For the semi-finals, it is the Chens versus the Hashims. What a coincidence it is to have a Chen against a Hasim for both semi-finals.

What will we have in the finals -- an All-Chen, All-Chinese, All England; an All-Hashim, All-Malaysian, All-England, or a Chen-Hashim All-England, reminisce of the semi-finals?

The excitement continues.

Ron

14. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Just heard on news that Chen Hong took 3 sets to

beat Lee.But Msia news reported that Yong bt Hafiz!

I guess website must be correct.

Now in semis we have 2 Chinese tactical stroke players

against 2 Msian defensive conterattacking players.

Bet men's singles are going to be long matches like 2002 Ch vs Roslin.

15. ronk

ronk Regular Member

According to the BAE website:

Chen Hong took 90 minutes to beat Lee Tsuen Seng in 3 sets, and Chen Yu took 70 minutes to beat Xia Xuanze in 3 sets. Roslin Hashim took 43 minutes to beat Kenneth Jonassen in 2 sets, and Hafiz Hashim took 40 minutes to beat Yong Hock Kin in 2 sets. The Malaysian players should be a little fresher, but the Chinese will have more match practice.

Tomorrow's ties should be very interesting given all four are stroke players rather than of the smash-smash-smash-smash-smash sort. I just wish I can see it live or on TV. Unfortunately, there is no badminton broadcast in the US.

Ron

16. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    Just to keep you in the picture on the X X vs Chen Yu match and the Chen Hong vs Lee Tseung Seng match

Both were fantastic to see live, you must all come for the worlds, however much it costs - i missed my train home for the Chen Hong Lee Tseung Seng last game - at first it looked as if Hong would paste him but Lee fought back - returning Hong's massive jump smash which had me and all around gasping at the sheer power, however lee started hitting them as well and the game became a tense, gruelling tactical affair with tight net rallies and powerful smashing coupled with stalwart defending - i have to say it was the best match of the night. both men's doubles that i saw Kim&Yim vs Hadiyanto&Yulianto and Eriksen and Lundgard Hansen vs Choong and Lee where fantastic - the Danes made it look like they'd won the final from their celebration - even tho they took it in 2 sets. the other match was much tighter plenty of big smashing action there too (it's so hard to watch three games at once :D)

i have to say Nathan and Gail were disappointing losing there in straight sets 3 and 8, missed the first one their - and had to leave before i could see Gail and Donna go on - had to leave befoe Eng and Flandy finished- but they'd lost the first game already - didn't look like they could hack the pace

anway - thats my bit - it was great to be there roll on the worlds

Neil

17. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Arrgh, I so wish i could have seen the match live or on TV at least so I could also gasps at his power smashes!!!:(

18. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    what a coincidence!

Just notice the last 4 of the mens singles draws have very similar names

Chen Yu and Chen Yong

Muhammad Hafiz Hashim and Muhammad Roslin Hashim

weird or what?

maybe you have to have the right name to be a world class men's singles player :D

Neil

19. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Well... my worst dream came true!:mad:
    As per my expectation, Yong had a pretty tough ride against the Hashim + the coach.
    More disappointment was none of the non-Nusa player made it to the last 4, though Lee TS appears to be the best performer yesterday nite.

Bet with you... the Malaysian ministers will be fying all over to Birmingham tonite, perhaps even the premier. Remember how Roslin Hashim was treated like a national treasure after his win in Japan Open 2 years back!
    There's a chance that this coming Monday will be declared as national public holiday if both Hashims made it to the final.

Rooting for Chen Hong to turn spoiler anyway...:D

20. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Last time Chen Hong played Roslin in 2001 Ae

the match lasted 2 hours and Ch came back from brink of defeat

in 2nd set. I think Ch has little time to recover .

For Roslin to beat Jonassen in 2 sets, that's indicating improvement

in speed.

Looks kike many people are going to miss the train back home again.

if Ch gets to the final he may end up exhausted like in 2001 against Gopichand,

against a young player he has never been able to beat.Imagine!