MP100 with BG85 or BG88Ti

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Ah Ching, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Ah Ching

Ah Ching Guest

I have a MP100 that I bought from HK. I want to know if BG85 or BG88Ti is the string most suitable for me. I am more of a drop shot, control player. I will smash more if my opponents are hard hitters. I still want good power so when the chance comes I can have good power. I could only fit in three hours of badminton time per week into my tough schedule. So durability is not that important but still want the string to last at least 6 weeks. :) Is the BG85 or BG88Ti the best of both worlds? Suggestions welcomed especially anyone that has the MP100 BG85 or BG88Ti combination. Ricky and Kwun, do you have any of these combinations?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    are you in HK? you will have problem finding BG88Ti from any place other than HK and Japan.

my MP100 is strung with bg85@26lb. very powerful combo. very good control as well.

i haven't tried the BG88Ti + MP100 yet, that will be next after i break the bg85.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with bg85, it is still the best string i have used so far.

3. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    As Kwun said, you can't go wrong with BG85 (my MP100 was strung with BG85 at 25lbs).

For BG88Ti, I've only used it once so far on a Cab 20 tour. In terms of control and feeling, it is definitely excellent. In terms of power, it falls short a bit in compare with strings like BG85, BG75Ti, Mizuno Ti-68, etc. However it is still not too bad, i.e. you can still have powerful (and sharp) smash with it, even though probably not explosive.

Durability is likely to be average (since I found that it weared out after ~10 hours of games). It also seems to loose string tension quite easily.

Besides high price and availability, I still haven't tried it the 2nd time because I discovered another very good string recently - Mizuno Ti-68. I've strung it 5 to 6 times so far (on different racquets), and will post a review on it soon (I know I promise to post a lot of reviews, but most of them are still outstanding).

Fyi, stocks for BG88Ti had been arrived to Luxis a few days ago.

4. Ah Ching

Ah Ching Guest

Thanks for replying Kwun and Ricky. :) I've tried BG75Ti and the power is great but that is all. No control and the bird just wants to fly out of the court. I'll definitely try the BG85 first as many badmintoncentral regulars have praised the all round competence of this string. I'll try the Mizuno Ti-68 after the BG85 as Ricky seems to really like this string. Rigth now I'm using BG68Ti and feel the string is average with no real advantage in any areas. Just wished the BG68Ti would break break sooner. :)

5. Ah Ching

Ah Ching Guest

Thanks for replying Kwun and Ricky. :) I've tried BG75Ti and the power is great but that is all. No control and the bird just wants to fly out of the court. I'll definitely try the BG85 first as many badmintoncentral regulars have praised the all round competence of this string. I'll try the Mizuno Ti-68 after the BG85 as Ricky seems to really like this string. Rigth now I'm using BG68Ti and feel the string is average with no real advantage in any areas. Just wished the BG68Ti would break sooner. :)

6. Ah Ching

Ah Ching Guest

Oops, double posted. :) Sorry.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Can't go much wrong with BG85. I find durability a bit of a problem but for your schedule it should be OK. This is only for feather shuttles. Imagine plastic shuttles would wear the string out faster.

8. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    I've tried BG75Ti only once and have exactly the same feeling as you. However I may give a 2nd chance to it on my Mizuno MP300 (as I've two, if it is not good, I can either cut it or switch to another one).

In fact, I found that it is more easier to compare performance of string by having two exactly the same racquets. So my advice is : for whatever racquet you really like, make sure to buy at least two of them. :)

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    bg68 sucks. IMHO.

i hated it so much, i cut it from my MP100 and laced Aermet on it. didn't like the Aermet that much either.

10. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Re: MP100 with BG85

I have my MP-100 on BG-85 at 22 lbs. Just love it ! It has excellent touch and feel with above average power output. A bit less than the BG-66, but more than suffice.

Slice drops and chops are fantastic too. Tension wise, after I restrung it once, find that it actually holds very well. As my initial impression was that it drops pretty fast.

Wear and tear is a big problem. I have used this recent on for about 4 weeks. I play 4-10 hours a week and its already showing very, very obvious signs of wear and tear already. A poortion of the face centre is already has filament frays showing up.

Of course its partly due to the fact that I do a lot of chops and slices in my game.

I'll probably try 23lbs at my next stringing to see if its good/better.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker

This wear and tear is the only problem on an otherwise excellent string. I now have three racquets out of five that need to be strung. The last one bit the dust last night.

12. Ah Ching

Ah Ching Guest

Ricky, I would get two MP100's but funds are limited. :) You have deep pockets so you have the freedom to buy freely.