MP 99 Look a like

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Patrick, Dec 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hhppyy

hhppyy Regular Member

well, i can tell u that the Ashaway Titanium Power 990 (TMP-990) is NOT a fake racket!! Its just a bit clone of Yonex MP99, but not exactly same.

I just bought two TMP-990 rackets, and they feel good! Its light (3U-G2) but a bit head heavey! Good smash power! Its "even balance & slim shaft".

I have now got two Ashaway TMP-600 (2U-G2) and two TMP-990(3u-G2). I think TMP-990 is suitable for double player games and the TMP-600 is for single player games!

PS. TMP-990 strung at 22lbs with Ashaway Micropower. (I strongly recommand don't string 3U rackets more than 23lbs, just my experiences)

Cheers!

2. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Is the Muscle Power 89 a clone or is it a new Yonex model? The Ashaway 990 looks almost like my MP99 -- waahh!

Ron

3. mtakako

mtakako Regular Member

Today , I just play 2 hours with the TMP990 that I acquire by the help of Moogoose. :D If anyone wanted to buy this because they think it will play like the mp99, they will quite disapointed. The racket feels totally different than the mp99 that I have. The TMP990 is quite a bit heavier than the mp99 that I have although they are both 3U. This is most likely due to the fact that mp99 has a slimmer shaft than the TMp990. And also, the TMP990 racket head is more wider, I would actually considered it a wide body racket. In terms of flex the TMp900 appears to be more stiff than the mp99. My first impression of this racket is that is quite good for control, but it is not as good in manueaver as the mp99 that I have. As for power I can't say for sure because I can't get used to the racket yet. As of right now, the mp99 seems to be more powerful. Here is some the direct comparison of the mp99 and tmp990. The name shown beside the categories is the prefered or better one. And thats my opinion only!!... it can be different for others.

control : TMP990
    Finish : TMp990
    power : MP99
    manu : Mp99

As of right now, I think mp99 will be my doubles racket, and the TMP990, ASTI, is my singles rackets.

BTW, the ASTI is awesome for single in my view...

4. lsgreydvm

lsgreydvm Regular Member

Veterinarian
    Your Ashaway Racket

I went to one of the local badminton courts here and saw some rackets they were selling. Since I am familiar with the Yonex MP99, I checked it out. The vendor said it is a Mmoa brand, Titanium Power 999, also in yellow. She claims that it is a very good racket, which is being used by a lot of the national team players here, which I found strange since I often watch them play and they use Yonex. Anyway, she also mentioned she has an Ashaway which she showed me. It is exactly the same as the Mmoa except for the label (Ashaway) and the model (Titanium power 990). That is the same racket you posted. Seems like you got faked. Anyway, if you like it and it plays well, who cares?

5. mtakako

mtakako Regular Member

What you mean by faked? I already know it is not a yones when I buy it, just wanted to test it out to see how similiar is this to the mp99..

6. stefan

stefan New Member

be @ school
    Ashaway in germany

Does anybody knows if I can buy the MP99 form Ashaway in Germany ??

I'd like to have an answer!

stefan

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks for the review. that is consistent with what we think so far. with these Clonex and Fakex rackets, what you are getting is just a similar paint job, and you shouldn't expect the same performance, better or worse.

8. lsgreydvm

lsgreydvm Regular Member

Veterinarian
    Re: Ashaway Racket

I didn't mean you got a fake Yonex, what I meanth was you probably got a fake Ashaway. As I previously mentioned, it was exactly like the other racket Mmoa, including finish, lettering color, tint, shaft and frame thickness etc... except that it was labelled annAshaway which led me to conclude that the ashaway was facked by the makers of the Mmoa brand, which I never heard of in my life. Like what Mr. Matt Ross mentioned, he's been sponsored by Ashaway for some time now and he has never heard of that model.

9. mtakako

mtakako Regular Member

Yup, the color scheme and looks is almost identical.. As right now , I can't say it is better or worse , since i still have to get uses to it. :D Need to do some more arm and wrist training inorder to uses this racket effectives. Somehow, this TMP900 seems to have the characteristic of the ISo800 and ti10. It is a more head heavy like the ti10, but with the same shaft size and head width as the ISo800.. I will gives a update review once I play a little more with this racket.

10. mtakako

mtakako Regular Member

Oh I understand lsgreydvm. I am really not sure if this is a fake ashaway or not. But to me I do believe it is a ashaways because why would they make a fake ashaway, when they can just go and make a fake Yonex instead since this model is originate from Yonex. But likewise there is soo many fake in the market, anything can happen.:)

11. lsgreydvm

lsgreydvm Regular Member

Veterinarian
    So many of those things are going around these days. Off topic, has anyone ever heard of the brand Mmoa? They also make shuttles (don't know the quality either). Maybe they are fakers trying to establish their own brand? Just a thought.

12. mongoose

mongoose Regular Member

Hmmm... if I remember correctly, I mentioned, in a couple of threads above, that the Ashaway Titanium Power 990 is NOT a fake Ashaway model.

I happen to know personally and dealt many times with the sole distributor of Ashaway in this region, Pacific Sports.

So let me clear this once and for all that the Titanium Power 990 is NOT a fake model.
    It is one of their newest model in the market.

If you don't believe me, then all you have to do is wait until around end of the year or so.
    Cos' from my observation, the US/Europe market will usually only get the newer models about 1 to 1-1/2 years AFTER we get them here in Asia.

13. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    MMOA is a brand although I am not sure if it is a Japanese or Taiwanese brand but you can get information on the racquets, shuttles, etc. from www.mmoa.co.jp

There are others as mentioned previously in other threads, others that have not been mentioned include JooBong (Korean brand).

14. lsgreydvm

lsgreydvm Regular Member

Veterinarian
    Re: MMOA Rackets

Thanks Winex West Can. I browsed through kthe Mmoa site but I didn't see the MP99 clone there or any of the rackets in the yellow suit. What do you think, did somebody fake the Mmoa too?

15. hhppyy

hhppyy Regular Member

Tatanium Power 990 is not a fake racket!
    Its an excellent racket!

16. mongoose

mongoose Regular Member

Hi lsgreydvm,
    Why are you saying that every racket is fake just because you have either never seen the model before or heard of the brand before?

What about Fukuda then?
    Are you gonna say that they make fake Ti-10 "look-alike"s too?
    If so, then Kenneth Jonassen (Denmark player) have been using a fake racket during the Thomas Cup semifinals!

Or the Babolat Satelite Solar?
    Its not even in the Babolat website!
    So can we conclude that it is also a fake Babolat?

Or Victor Sun Jun 2000? Victor Ge Fei 2000? Victor Gong Zhichao 2000?
    They are also not in the Victor website.
    Fakes of Victor rackets too?

17. lsgreydvm

lsgreydvm Regular Member

Veterinarian
    Guys, I am not saying all rackets are fake whatever, what I am trying to say is that it would be too much of a coincidence for 2 different brands, in this case Ashaway and Mmoa, to have identical rackets (paint finish, frame thickness, gloss color tint, letter quality, etc....), and sold in the same place side by side. At least in this forum, you have the opportunity to be warned, and to be a little careful. No reason to be a hot under the collar. String tension a little too high?

18. boilermaker

boilermaker Regular Member

ProAce Platinum 530

I have seen another clone of MP99 fro ProAce, and am very curious to know if anyone out there ever tried this beast?

I am using MP100 clone, from "Apacs", very good. So, I think clone racket can be as good as the real one.

I used to be hard core Yonex fans, but not after Ti-10 caved in at 1 o'clock for nothing.

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ever heard of OEM? like, do you notice in the supermarket, there are the "supermarket" brand?

eg. the Safeway supermarket has the own brand Safeway, and many of the safeway products looks very alike to some name brand. fact is, Safeway does not have the ability to research and manufacture those product themselves, so instead, they go to some name brand company, ask them to manufacture those for them, and stick the Safeway label on it. this practice is call OEM (original equipment manufacturer).

i have seen other cases of OEM. i had a Alpha badminton racket once, one day i was looking at one of my friend's racket (coincidentally, it was a Ashaway racket), and i noticed part of the racket's graphics design was identical. and it was complex graphics pattern also, but they look so alike it was like they are from the same painter.

at that point, my theory is that both Alpha and Ashaway either share the same factory, or had their racket designed by the same company, or OEM'ed the racket from some company.

i have no way to verify that, of course, but that's a theory.

and it would apply here. MMOA and Ashaway can be sharing the same design company or using the same OEM, thus they have very similar looking racket. and at the same time, neither of them are trying to imitate each other.

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    another interesting data point is that if you look at the Ashaway company information in their website www.ashawayusa.com . they are listed as a string manufacturer and they mentions nothing about racket manufacturing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.