Morten Frost Says China Can Be Beaten

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2005' started by Loh, May 12, 2005.

1. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Ronald (Olympics) , Taufik (Indonesian Open) with wins and Peter (all England) just losing to him, have posed problems for Lin Dan when slowing the game down and keeping the lifts to short punches rather than the deep lifts, avoding giving Lin Dan the ammo for his attacking speed and power smashes.

Don't think Lin Dan will last that long as his game is bulit on using vast amounts of enegry and could be prone to injuries.

I think when 2008 Olympics come round it will be just Bao and Cheng left.

2. Jofianty

Jofianty Regular Member

Taufiq has better techniques than lin dan
    Bao has better techniques than lin dan
    My question is What kind of factors that make lindan become a no 1 badminton player in the world..?

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

#24 cooler, May 12, 2005
    Last edited: May 12, 2005
  5. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

from videos, i see him as

-much faster than most ppl from top 10 (with some exceptions like wch and leehyunil, not that they are faster, but they are equally fast),
    -great power,
    -deadly accurate (especially those frickin' smashes!)
    -And getting to the birdy early (due to his great anticipation skills)

6. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Yes, the french team in this Sudirman Cup is a young team and there are quite a few promising youngsters arriving behind them.
    Badminton in France is growing year after year, there is still a long long way to go before France becomes a real badminton power however! ;)

7. fanatico

fanatico Regular Member

Student
    haha. i dont remember peter gade being a FAST and AGGRESSIVE player. he was FAST but i dont think he was one of the more powerful players. gade always struck me to have beautiful netplay and deceptive drops, not to mention his speed. but his smash has never been claimed to be very powerful

8. fanatico

fanatico Regular Member

Student
    lindan has that extra bit of aggression and hunger. he is one of the more determined players and he is confident, which is evident from occasional cockiness. but that is just what a top player requires. he is not the type of player which you see becoming lost when he loses a string of points.

taufik's techniques MAY be better, but taufik lacks the fitness and he is rather temperamental. taufik's talent is not a doubt but he is unable to take part in back-to-back competitions because of his fitness (compared to lindan who won 3 tournaments back-to-back), hence taufik is only able to win one competition in a while. though it still makes him a great player as he was able to peak and win the olympics.
    btw, susilo's superior defence was also commented on by morten frost. but i am afraid that a repeat of their olympic first round encounter would be an uphill task for susilo to conquer lindan again.

9. Morten

Morten Regular Member

hehe you must have been sleeping ;) . During 1997-2001 before his injury Gade was by many considered superior in almost every aspect, pace, technique, power, net play only lacking the mental area which in my opinion also costed him the WC in 2001 and the olympics in sydney. take a look at the match between him and Ji Xinpeng for example, not that Ji didnt deserve his gold medal, but in the second set you could really see the difference between the best players around and a Gade who played without nerves.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, I've seen Peter Gade play in Singapore when he was much younger and he was a joy to watch - an embodiment of youthful exuberance, speed and power. I would rate Peter better than Lin Dan because he was then more skilful and displayed a better arsenal of strokes. Of course he was, and still is, rather handsome also. :cool:

Before the last Olympics, almost everyone didn't give the slightest chance to Ronald Susilo to beat Lin Dan. Not even the newly imported Chinese coach I spoke to and who can blame him? Lin was then the World No.1 as he is now.
    But events turned out otherwise. As we all know, Lin Dan was subsequently beaten by Ronald in Round 1 and never advanced any further and I just can't understand why many still believed that it was a fluke and a repeat can't happen! Some people refuse to believe that 'miracles' can happen, but beating Lin is no miracle. Lin is just another player and not omnipotent! :rolleyes:

#30 Loh, May 13, 2005
    Last edited: May 13, 2005
  11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    CCTV re-broadcasted the last game between LeeHI and Gade just now. Gade was playing really sharp in that game. it will be an interesting match if he were to play Lin Dan in the finals. he still isn't as fast as he was before his injury though.

12. takuan

takuan Regular Member

yup LD is fast player but i'm not believe fast-player will 'stand' longer
    as we can see Joko playing more than 30 and no fast-player can playing well after 28, as i remember ;)

13. jhl

jhl Regular Member

Would be interesing to know who were the "many" who considered Gade to be superior in almost every aspects.

With respect and IMHO, it is a clear thing between Gade in his prime and Lin in his best form so far, on their "best day and with their A games, Gade will not be able to live with Lin Dan.

Olympics? Try having 1.3 billion people expecting you to bring home the gold. That was a fluke and I will be very happy to be proven wrong if Susilo ever beat LD again.

I will start the ball rolling
    -LD has a better badminton brain
    -LD has a better forehand

14. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I'm one of the "many" who think Peter Gade may be better in every categories except the mental area as Morten said. But I also think today's Lin Dan can beat Peter Gade at him prime 6 out of 10 times. Against a player playing good defense, Peter very often lost his patience, going too close to the line and hitting the bird out. I can see he did that very often against Sun Jun. Other than his speed, I think another Lin Dan's strength is his defense. One example is his match against Lee Hyun Ii in TC last year. He saved so many tough shots that really frustrated Lee and ended up winning the 2nd game easily after a very tough first game. Against Ronald Susilo is a different story. This guy almost smash every time. If he is having a good day getting most of his smashes in, I think he can beat any player in the world.

15. badplayer2004

badplayer2004 Regular Member

what amaze me about lindan is him recovering some of the really fast smashes with his whole body and then jump again quickly for the next hit...never saw that in any other players...

most players catch smash with reflex flicks at full straight standing position at smashes near their body.....but he literally DIVES IN to catch the fast and faraway smashes

some of the indonesian MD's do it also but i dont think they can get the next shot....their partner will be there to help them unlike in MS

#35 badplayer2004, May 16, 2005
    Last edited: May 16, 2005
  16. badplayer2004

in the MS standard's these days...peter dont have enough mental and physical endurance of the others who can that last till the end of matches....he is quite talented but not enough....he only perform his best at the first game only..then it deteriorates.....mentally or physically

17. badplayer2004

post tournament....this thread's title is sorta funny....:p

18. newplayer

newplayer Regular Member

why? Of course the Chinese could be beaten, they are just human after all. No one
    is invincible.

newplayer

19. badplayer2004

at least for this tournament.....:)

20. newplayer

newplayer Regular Member

yet, we are still adding more posts to this thread. ;)