Morten Frost in Rio

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by jjashik, Aug 22, 2016.

1. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

Did anyone see or hear from Morten Frost in Rio? Or know why he wasn't coaching during any of the matches (as far as I saw)?

I tried to spot him amongst the crowd, especially midst the Malay contingent, but could not see him. I'm also curious why he didn't actively coach (i.e. sit in coach's corner) during the matches. I don't speak Malaysian, but I have never been convinced that LCW's coaches were effective in helping turn the tide when LCW suffers during matches, especially psychologically. I would have thought Frost would have been helpful in this aspect.

cyltwit, Rob3rt and j4ckie like this.
  2. MeisterTim

MeisterTim Regular Member

Yep, I think LCW would have achived more if he changed his coaches a long time ago, but we'll never know :p.

3. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    Frost had mentioned before that he does not want to interfere in the coach's work. When he first came back to Malaysia as performance director, he did sit in the coach's chair but LCW demanded that Hendrawan and TSB be by his side so Frost respected this. I feel that Hendrawan and TSB can be a tad too passive, but perhaps that's how LCW likes it. On a side note, there is a huge distinction between Malay and Malaysian. Malay is a race in Malaysia, which consists of many cultures and races.

4. renbo

renbo Regular Member

To say "ethnic group" is much better then to say "race". Sorry for the correction but using "race" can lead to mistakes.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think that word r*** is used in Malaysian politics to polarize opinion and deliberately create divisions. It is used so frequently, that ordinary people start using it as a matter of norm.

Sorry to digress.

6. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

If LCW insisted, then it had to be. He deserves the respect, even if he is wrong on the coaching call.

Thanks for informing me on the difference. I should have thus used "Malaysian contingent".

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Perhaps LCW felt more comfortable with the mild-mannered, more familiar,and low-key approach of Hendrawan and Tey Seu Bok (whom he's worked with for many years) by the court-side. The presence of Morten Frost there might put more pressure on him, off-court or during training is okay.

8. phili

phili Regular Member

He was there. Someone, I think it was Michael Fuchs who was commentating for the German television, said during the MD final he chatted with Morten Frost about the difference in ends. If I recall correctly it was something like that the Malaysian team was very positive that LCW would win the third set against LD after changing sides at 10-11.

visor likes this.