Mobile App for Hobbyists to Improve Their Game

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Nitish Reddy, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Nitish Reddy

Nitish Reddy New Member

Hi All

My name is Nitish and I am badminton player from India. I used to practice at Gopichand Badminton Academy until I was 16 at which time I had to stop practising professionally due to various reasons. However, I still play as a hobby.

I’ve recently realised that many people who play badminton as a hobby and want to improve their game do not have access to quality coaches due to the cost and timings. Most of these players follow forums such as these and YouTube videos to learn different techniques and improve their game. However, I haven’t seen any solution that offers a self-service model to improve ones game.

My friends and I, all engineers from IIT Madras (a reputed college in India), want to build an app that will enable beginners to blindly complete a set of exercises that will help up their game or intermediate players to design customised exercises and practice schedule based on what they want to focus on. This will be much like what Yousician is for musical instruments or Duolingo is for language learning. But before getting too ahead of ourselves, we thought we should check with other players such as you guys on the forum and find out whether this is a problem worth solving.

I would like to stress that we do not have a finished product yet and that our objective is to learn from you guys, not to sell or pitch anything to you.

It would be great if you guys can revert with answers to the following questions:

1. Does this problem resonate with you?
    2. So how do you tackle this problem today?
    3. What products do you currently use to tackle this and how did you first hear about them?

We would also love to hop onto to a call if any of you is okay with it. Please feel free to direct message me and we can set up a time.

Thank You

Cheung, visor and phihag like this.
  2. Azmi Yusof

Azmi Yusof Regular Member

1. Yes, especially since there are no formal training or coaches in my area.
    2. Surf online and Youtube for guidance.
    3 Footwork apps on Google play to practice footwork.