Mixing Badminton with racket sports

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Robbie, Feb 8, 2001.

1. Robbie

Robbie Guest

Are there anyone out there having problems adjusting between Badminton and other racket sports eg.squash or tennis? I myself play all enjoy all three every week. More serious with Badminton as I involved with league matches. I've found Squash mix with Badminton pretty well especially my backhand. Whilst tennis does not help at all. I heard a rumour that if you want to be good in Badminton, don't play tennis.
    What do you think?

2. Sq

Sq Guest

When I first played squash after many years of

badminton, no one wanted to be in the same court

with me as I swung my racquets as in badminton and

didn't know how to clear the way for opponents and could

have injured a lot of people.Also I wore myself out by hitting

flat strokes instead of making use of the whole court. Of course

I am wiser now , so are you probably, to me, squash needs

some adjustment too.

3. Don

Don Regular Member

I too play all 3 in the summer, but just squash and badminton through winter and spring. I don't feel any difference in transition, other than the fact I hit with arm in tennis and I rotate various joints in squash. Badminton is my 1st sport, but if you're able to distinguish techniques then you should be fine. I do notice that squash actual enables me to scoop underhand backhand from corner to corner at the odd time.

4. fuju

fuju Guest

When I was playing squash regularly as well as badminton, I became noticeably stronger and was able to consistently clear properly from end to end of a badminton court (normally I'm a fairly weak player in that respect). I have big troubles in tennis, can't get used to the arm movement at all and try to snap my wrist which is a mistake, very conducive to injury! I don't think playing tennis is going to make your badminton worse, but the technique is very different - as long as you can make the distinction I don't see why there should be a problem...

5. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    hey lets not forget about ping pong! :D

6. dpc1l

dpc1l Regular Member

I used to play tennis fairly competitively, but switched to badmninton a few years ago. Some of my tennis shots still reappear on the badminton court, but.... when I play tennis........ my backhand sucks. Sometimes it goes where it's supposed to, sometimes it lands about 2m in front of me, and other times it goes over the back fence!

I remember when I was young I played a lot of table tennis one summer, and then when playing in a tennis tournamnent my shots were all messed up!!!

7. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    Danger: Tennis Elbow

Hi,

Badminton was my first sport but when I tried looking for an alternative, my choice was squash. I tried tennis once but it hurt my wrist and several other badminton players told me not to continue unless I can adapt to tennis well. I chose to quit because it hurts so much.

Squash, to me, is closer to badminton. People from badminton can pick up squash pretty quickly. I didn't know proper techniques of squash but did pretty well in a tournament that made people think I had played it for years.

I felt my strokes in badminton, especially backhand, become much better since squash racket is heavier. But since I didn't learn the proper techniques of squash, I applied badminton techniques when playing it. It works well, just that it's dangerous. I got tennis elbow because of the improper backhand movement and had to go through treatments (physiotherapy, accupuncture, massage) for nearly 2 months and now I have to use elbow support to play.

I guess I am still lucky since a friend of mine who apparently done VERY well in squash--also switching from badminton--tore his tendons and muscle that costed him a surgery.