Memorable moments from World Championships 2006

Discussion in 'World Championships 2006' started by Darth Andrianus, Sep 24, 2006.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i dislike the overhead camera showing of replays, only see 4 big dots and 1 tiny white dot.

2. cindie

cindie Regular Member

For me, it would be the CH vs LD match. The ending part where CH bows to the audience.. ;) I think it was a superb match by CH.

3. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think it is good. Shows the position of each player clearer than any other angle. But I only like it for replays only, mind you.

4. Wai Shing

Wai Shing Regular Member

Student
    Totally agree with you Cooler about the overhead replay thing...come to think of it, I found the general camera angle kinda unsatisfiying also, it felt too far from the action. However, it's still a billion times better than WC05 camera angle, now that was terrible!!!
    I still think the All England camera angle - or should I say any tournament held in the NIA stadium, I tihnk WC03 was there - to be the best.

5. indra

indra Regular Member

The problem with Chinese forums is "Language"...

6. cao ci dan

cao ci dan Regular Member

student
    :eek: :eek: hahaha:D :D :D he played it for XXF i guess!!!

7. Ai Mei

Ai Mei Regular Member

Student in a High School
    Bao's expresion after defeat LCW....^^ so nice and after defeat LHI hehehe

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think that's the problem. it is supposed to be an individual event. but there are really way too much emphasis on the country.

take tennis for example (don't you just hate it when we need to look at tennis for things done right???), i still to this point, don't remember the country that player like Hingis, Maria, and whoever else come from. and people like to watch them play just as well as they belong to their own country. and aren't Sampras and Agassi both from the US? (are they??) but the rivalry between the two are closely watched and deeply interested by all audiences for years! why are there no screams of USA dominance by non-US fans?

so if that's alright, why do a final between LD & BCL, or even Robertson/Emms and Clark/Kellogg gets frowned upon?

tennis certainly have done something right, the only problem is that the badminton authority are copying the wrong things from them.

9. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    [​IMG]:D [​IMG]:D [​IMG] 100% absolutely agree! [​IMG]:D [​IMG]:D [​IMG]

10. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    You can't say that "country" has no part in tennis. There is some part. In the French Open, French players get more vocal support. Similarly all other Opens. But it is also true that each tennis player is identified as an individual much more than where he/she comes from. Doubles pairs comprising of different countries are very common.

The main difference is money. There is so much money sloshing around in tennis that tennis players have their own coaching setup. It's each player for himself. For selfish reasons, some even refuse to play in Davis/Fed Cups or Olympics for the glory of their country. (That's why tennis should be thrown off Olympics, IMHO.) Also very common to see tennis players based outside their country.

Badminton has no such money. It is hard to survive at the top level without the support of the country, or at least a generous club. It is not surprising then that players, first and foremost, play for their country. In badminton and tennis, fans will always be in favour of countrymen, but even more so in badminton, because of the very real perception that the players themselves are playing for the country, and therefore for the fans themselves.

11. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Can't disagree with you as far as that in tennis, people remember the individual instead of the country.

The fundemental difference I can see is that in tennis, the player is self-dependent, that is they are as good as they can acheive. They have their own couch, they find their own sponsor, their travel at their own expense, they get all their prize money, they decide which tournament they want to participate and they take care of themsleves. In short, they participate and put themseleves across as individual.

But in badminton, as far as the Asian powers, the players are state-sponsored. The training and their welfare are being taken care of a state-run entity and thus when they play, they have to represent the party who feed them. They go/participate where they were told so. That is why at least for Asian players are concerned, the country identify is much larger than the individual.

I have touched on this during the debate when the NSS was introduced that at the current commercial state of badminton, it cannot survive on its own without the big corporate sponsorship to have true professional players. European badminton players are close, but some of them may actually be struggling financially.

So as long as the state-sponsored players are dominating and playing, the state vs state mentality will always be there. The current Asian badminton players are not an "individual" entity yet. Sad, but that is probably the reality right now.

#31 Linus, Sep 25, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..hmm, speaking of unfortunate injuries, don't forget the last minute absence of Kenneth Jonassen also(which IMO possibly affected the MS's draw)...And the absence of one Judith M. of NED...It's too bad this, and those numerous injuries you mentioned above, happened..haiz:p :(

#32 ctjcad, Sep 26, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  13. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    I hope not! :D :D