Measuring balance point WITH strings and grip?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by AreYouEvenMad, Jul 19, 2015.

1. AreYouEvenMad

AreYouEvenMad Regular Member

Hi everyone,

3 or 4 months ago I bought a new racket (which in theory should be a bit head heavy and rather offensive). However after quite a bit of time playing with the racket, I feel like it isn`t head heavy at all, so I wanted to know where exactly the balance point is (according to several posts here a racket with a balance point >=300 is usually considered as head heavy). The problem is, you usually have to measure this without and grip and string, and I dont really feel like ripping off all the strings of my racket :D

So how exactly do strings and grip affect the balance point? I know the result isnt very accurate but for some rough estimation its enough, i think. The balance point of my current racket is at 285mm and i use Yonex BG65 and a standart overgrip (dont know the name, nothing too thick, nothing too thin). Is it possible to calculate where the balance point should approximately be?

Thanks for all help and sorry for the long text ;D

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

If you've added strings and overgrip then they mostly cancel out, I think. Just strings is approx +5mm balance. Adding over grip, or replacing original grip with thick-ish replacement grip is approx -5mm.

I'm not totally sure on this, bit confident its in the same ball park, if you forgive the Americanism

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, amleto is right.

For really rough approximation purposes,

string adds 5mm to bp, while
    0.6mm thick overgrip subtract 5mm from bp

4. AreYouEvenMad

AreYouEvenMad Regular Member

Ok, thanks ;)

So the bp of my racket is really that low...i feel kinda fooled right now. This is what they sell as "offensive racket"...

5. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Which racket is it?