Meanings of Level of Play

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by viver, Dec 31, 2000.

1. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Lol, that's about the worst excuse I've heard in a long while!

2. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    The word clueless comes to mind.

3. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    But it's true in many ways, you don't rotate, you are always told to just stand at the front, at the middle. They even get angry when you try to rotate or be at the back.

There are situations like that, because once you become the rear player, your lift is weak, you don't have the footwork and speed to move side to side to maintain attack, etc.

Footwork, not all of us are dedicated person who are willing to learn and train outside playing time. Many of us are just recreational players who just do badminton for fun. no coaching, no one teaching us how to do this and that.

There must be balance between winning games and developing, but at many times, winning games prevail.

We mainly play for fun, is it fun if we lose all the time? Is it fun if a rally ends because we can't reach the shuttle? Is it fun when we only heat weakly into the net or give a weak reply only to be smashed? And it's certainly not fun being glared by your partner.

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

make up your mind - play for recreation or 'play' for development. Don't say that many player dont advance because of static front/back issue. If these perennial beginners were interested in development they would do something about it e.g. coaching or changing clubs.

If you guys want fun and even matches, then play at your similar level. The responsibility lies on your own shoulders to find what you want!

5. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    That kind of thinking is definitely....ups, racist card raised.

we want peace and harmony in my community. The ones that I play initially are my friends near my home and university, and then only university when I went to study abroad. It will lead to some problems if I just change clubs and place. I didn't think about coaching (well, the one that I said was very good had coaching from a badminton club, he should've known the concept of rotation, no?)

so I need to balance the two, fun and develop.

I think these things hinder my development:
    1. playing doubles and always be the front guy
    2. Desire to win overwhelm desire to develop
    3. Laziness
    4. Resistance from friends.

1. already explained
    2. As my play become worst with the correct technique, I frequently switched back to my old ways
    3. don't need to be explained
    4. Because people think they are already correct.

Many people don;t develop because they think they have already reached their best and their way of playing is correct. For example, about a year ago, I stumbled across this video by LJB:

Badminton- Basic Positioning Practice for Doubles
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=k__HuDs_2hE

When I tried to apply that, what LJB told in the video was true, see 1:30. And my friend was angry because when I go to the back and smash the enemy just need to defend with a block and get a point as my friend didn't go cover the front. , He told me to just clear instead and do safer shots If I cannot be responsible for the counter of my own smash, I said he should run and cover the front because that was what LJB's video told me. so we argued.

But then, when I play against him with another friend the other day, I told my partner what LJB in his video told me when we played. so we decided to have this front-rear and side-side code. We had some good rallies, better than what we did before against the opponent. I didn't remember whether we won the game or not. We erased cheap points from:

1. Block to the front area from a smash because there is a front player guarding it.
    2. Smash after a lift because we immediately form a side to side formation

That was a huge progress as before, we would be scrambling trying to get to the front after we smash because we try to reach the block or the dive to the side because we are still in a front-rear formation after we lift and the player must cover huge space.

of course there was some confusion first as we sometimes forget to apply front-rear and side-side or being confused in half-half situations, but as the game went on, we became better.

And it was after that, this kind of play was accepted and now I won't worry about the front area being empty or defend a giant space alone. And i made peace with my friend.

You wanna have fun, yes
    You wanna develop, yes
    You wanna still be friends, yes

If you can only meet beginners or intermediates, and you want to raise your game and play more difficult, then raise their level together. teach them, tell them what's wrong, try it yourself, prove it. of course it doesn't always go smooth as usually there is an adjustment period where you erase your bad habits and ingrain the new technique.

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

racist? gtfo. consider yourself ignore list-ed.

#146 amleto, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  7. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Maybe it's not worded right, but I think it's kind of a discrimination and a "holier than thou attitude" to do that. Not all can go coaching or change clubs.

about the changing clubs without particular reason except that the level is low. I think that's bad, especially the ones there are your close friends in the university or the ones near your home. I just can't do that.

Yeah, maybe the level of play is low, but it's not a reason to change club.

That's the same as saying "you all suck, I need to go to better places"

8. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    lol! can't see a single remark that even remotely comes close to being interpreted as racist.

I might say something elitist like:
    You can't expect to soar like an eagle hanging around with turkeys.

9. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    I like that graph, we used it on our study. Didn't think to apply it to badminton before but definitely very useful.

10. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    I'm part of a social group where I'm one of two organisers. We are purely a social club and never get involved with competitions but can still get up to sixty people for six courts so I get to see many different levels if players.

Anyway it takes a couple of minutes to gauge the skill of a player and once i know their level, I will always try to match them up to players similar level. If they want to improve I suggest they go training but occasionally I'll put them up against a higher skilled players.

It does get annoying when kids come along and ask for a tougher game when they're inconsistent and not very strong. You may satisfy one but you give three other players a crappy game.
    Anyway I don't pay much heed to what skill they say they are and grade them when I see them warm up and play.