Malaysian Open: MS

Discussion in 'Singapore / Indonesia / Malaysia Open 2003' started by whizkelv, Aug 26, 2003.

1. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

6 - 1 now to CH

2. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

3. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

4. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

5. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

6. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

5 - 10....looks bad

7. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

14 - 5.....Lee CW is making so many unforced errors

8. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

15 - 5....Chen Hong just too good, gave Chong Wei no chance

9. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Chong Wei definitely needs more exposure. He was so nervous out there. However, I can see why he has caused so many upsets along the way. He has quite a lot of deception in his shots, Chen Hong was caught by surprised a few time. Defense is also very good, and of course, that cross court drops and chops.

10. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I agree with that.

CW may not be as tall or experienced as CH but he sure have the trait that is lacking which is that he dares to try to add variety to his style in midgame to see if it would work with the opponent. I can see that he has lots of potential to get better by going to more international level championships, meeting the likes of Bao Chunlai or Taufik more often and learn from them.

But to expect him to beat CH will almost be a fairy-tale as CH don't get up to #1 beating unknowns like CW. Still, if I were Misbun or anybody who'd be given a chance to give him a pep-talk before the game, I'd probably tell him that nobody would expect him to win, but everybody will expect him to give his very best.

CW, Kay Bin and gang are in need of great competition and world class opponents to improve and they can only get better and better.

And darn RTM again for ending transmission before the doubles, both men and women! :(

11. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

True, I am of the opinion that Misbun should change his SEA Games team line-up and should not keep either of the Hashim brothers especially Roslin in the team.
    These youngsters deserved a break.

12. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

If Misbun don't give them a chance for this SEA games, and still include Roslin, then it would be wrong. Lee CW can become a very good player if given enough exposure, and he is already 20. In fact Lee TS, Wong CH should be excluded as well. There are no ranking points in SEA games if I am not wrong.

13. yinsoon

yinsoon Regular Member

student
    RTM really has their priorities messed up!

How come they showed the news in the middle of the MS??
    I was like %$#@$#&!!

Someone has gotta rethink their schedules man.. more badminton :D

14. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Misbun has conceded that Chong Wei was too tired to take on Chen Hong, mentally and physically.
    After thinking about it, I tend to agree. The guy is in his first major Finals, has beaten a lot of top players (including Bao Chun Lai and Lee HI), and it is no surprise that even if his spirit is willing, his body just cannot take it. Definitely more exposure is needed for this young star.

The poor guy was sobbing while Misbun was trying to console him after the match. He did try his best for this tournament...

Well done to CW and congrats to Chen Hong for showing us yet again why he is the undisputed world #1.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

16. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Things will be different if the one playing in the final is either Hafiz or Roslin.:mad:

17. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

Not only that. The finals line-up in the Malaysian Open is definitely not any less exciting than that of the Indonesian Open. If RTM bothered to bring their people and equipment over to get such a long live broadcast for an event held outside their country, I really wonder why they couldn't have done the same for their HOME open. They started broadcasting the INA Open right after the 2pm news, yet today there was even the motorsport programme which took up the whole duration of the XD final. Looking at the final scores for WD and MD, it's really a pity that they decided that adverts for their programmes have more priority over world-class badminton taking place on their soil.

Nevertheless, congrats to Kim Dong Moon for taking both titles (and yes, thanx to the brainful people at RTM, I got to watch neither of them). You're the man.

18. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

RTM 1 is the only station operated by the government in msia, the target

audience being the rural, poorer people. it is a station used mainly for

winning hearts and minds of people esp when elections are near.

Most people in msia have little technical appreciation of badminton,

they have blind loyalty and will only watch a match if it features Malaysians,

whatever the standard of play.Then they shout things like Msia boleh and make

the politicians very proud of themselves.

msian sare a little better than the supporters in Indonesia. In this year's case

the last two matches did not feature Malaysians, therefore RTM thought it logical

not to waste precious air-time on remaining matches.

19. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Hi Bbn, you said that most people in Malaysia have little technical appreciation of badminton, I wonder if you know the standard of badminton in Malaysia at all?

In England, I play for west berkshire county, and I get to play with county players occasionally (backup players). My chances of beating them are pretty good(about 50-60% of the time). In Malaysia, I can't even get into my school team (I am consistently only among the top 20, but never among the top 8), and my school is not even among the top 10 in Selangor, and Selangor is not the most powerful state for badminton.

To say that most Malaysians don't have technical appreciation is a little strange? Maybe you have been playing with people who don't actually play badminton at all, that's why you came to such conclusions.