Malaysia Open

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open 2004' started by pptam, May 26, 2004.

1. bigmojo

bigmojo Regular Member

I dont ever recall any match where at the end the players did not shake hands. Its a public display of common courtesy, not really indicative of being a good sportsman. Please point me in the direction of which matches you have witnessed where the players did not shake hands at the end of the match.
    :eek:

The term 'jaguh kampung' was coined by the Indonesians. It was clearly a case of sour grapes because they were jealous of Malaysia who was a badminton superpower at one time. (maybe still are)

:D

#121 bigmojo, Jul 5, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2004
  2. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I am a huge Malaysian fan as well, but I cannot detect any ill feelings from jud8men's comments. Chen Hong is a great sportsman, and lost with dignity.

3. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c

well said friend.

but just to point it out, it was not the hand shaking of hands that showed chen hong's sportmanship, but the sincererity in his eyes and that huge smile on his face when he congratulated LCW. after an exhaustive match i dont think many man could fake such a gesture. :)

the term 'jaguh kampung' is just to much i feel. there is no sport where an individual is expected to win championships after championships. even CTF/LWW and WCH get lots of heat from home fans though they reach finals but just fail to bring home the title. it just aint right.

#123 jug8man, Jul 6, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2004
  4. libra

libra Regular Member

If anyone's ever seen Marleve Mainaiky after a match you'll see how gracefully he accepts both victory and defect. I've often seen him patting his victorious/beaten opponent on the back after shaking hands. I like the sportsmanship he shows.

The term 'Jaguh Kampung' was I think quite suited to Rashid Sidek. Nearly unbeatable in Stadium Negara (that's where most of the big competitions were held back then) he performed below expectations almost every other time.

5. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    Taufik vs. Lee TS

6. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

yup, that's a good example. i remember Taufik beating Erik Hoyer Larsen. Taufik won and threw his racquet into the air and it hit Erik. i dont think they shook hands on that occasion. but i could be wrong.

cananybody confirm this?

7. bigmojo

bigmojo Regular Member

I agree with you in that I too did not detect any ill feelings from jud8men's comments. I think you may have misconstrued my post. Please reread it. I did not pass any judgement on Chen Hong's character. I merely said that the act of shaking hands at the end of a match is a public display of courtesy and not really indicative of being a good sportsman. If you disagree with me on this point then you are in effect saying that players who shake hands after a match are good sportsman. I chose to disagree on this point.

I was interested in finding out which particular matches where the players did not shake hands which to me seems to be quite rare occasions.

8. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Frankly, I really don't feel like arguing with you. The fact that you belittled Chen Hong's sincerety for Chong Wei's first major victory just didn't go down well with me. You were being too businesslike...to be precise, too matter-of-fact in passing your judgement. I have played in many tournaments myself and I really appreciate and respect a sincere opponent who truely acknowledge that you were just the better that day, not just coming up to the net and "touching" your hand without even looking at you.

#128 wl2172, Jul 8, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  9. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

Nobody has some pix from malaysia open??... :)

10. bigmojo

bigmojo Regular Member

The following is exactly what I originally posted:
    "I dont ever recall any match where at the end the players did not shake hands. Its a public display of common courtesy, not really indicative of being a good sportsman. Please point me in the direction of which matches you have witnessed where the players did not shake hands at the end of the match."
    Show me where I belittled Chen Hong or else retract your statement.

11. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    I think BigMojo means that shaking hands after a match for pros are common or else it would show they are not being a good sport but doesn't neccessary show good sportsmanship but he didn't mean to say Chen Hong wasn't being a good sportsmanship because WL2127 stated that Chen Hong was hugging and kissing Wei after the match which did show good sportsmanship and wasn't for public courtesy which is true and BigMojo agreed on just that shaking hands don't mean good sportsmanship but Chen Hong was a good sportsmanship while Lin Dan wasn't because he wouldn't let Peter Gade change the shuttle and took off his shirt after the match which shows he doesn't show too much respect for his opponent and makes his opponent not want to hug him afterwards which makes the public thinks his opponent wasn't being a good sports like WL2127 stated that shaking hands shows that but BigMojo tells us why it wouldn't.

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I don't think bigmojo said anything unbecoming or had any intention of showing any disrespect. As a matter of fact, it is not inconceivable for very bad sportsmen to exchange handshakes in a perfunctory manner. Lets not a mountain out of a molehill.

13. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

to bigmojo.

just want to know. does this answer your earlier question or does your question really have nothing to do with chen hong's and LCW's match.
    if the CH LCW match is just a window dressing in that (your) question, i suggest we open a new thread to discuss your topic, being as hot as it is. so as to avoid future misconception of your message as well as to eliminate all links to the outcome of the discussion with the perceived sportsmanship of those two players in the forum.

but i must say that i dont think there was much to argue about in my original post. but that is just my opinion.

#133 jug8man, Jul 10, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2004
  14. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student

Totally Agree, Lin Dan doesn't show any sign of sportmanship. I hope he won't win Olympic :mad:

15. bigmojo

bigmojo Regular Member

You are right. My posting had nothing to do with the 'sportsmanship' of Chen Hong or LCW. I merely made an observation that shaking hands after a match is not indicative of good sportsmanship. One poster here correctly used the word 'perfunctory', and thats just it, the shaking of hands is a perfunctory gesture and a public display of common courtesy but I had not meant that as a description of Chen Hong's intention in his handshake with LCW. I find Chen Hong to be the least arrogant and brash of the Chinese singles players and as such I have the most respect for him.

I can understand everyone here getting 'hot under the collar' as they had thought I was being derogatory in my post regarding Chen Hong. That was never my intention. It was a general observation regarding 'hand shaking' after matches. I did not intend it to refer specifically to the CH-LCW match.

jug8man, I dont understand your reaction at all. There was no 'ill will' in my post. I merely asked as to which matches where the players did not shake hands. I guess my 'tone' must have sounded as if I was challenging you.

Kudos to SmashingBird and taneepak for reading my post as it is without any colouration. Thanks.

:D

16. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

my reaction is simple. i put 'shook hands' and 'sportsmanship' in the same paragraph and suddenly im being questioned of my rationality. i dont understand why would you need me to explain my posting as its was very simple direct and clear. am i or all posters required to explain everything in every tiny detail as just to justify that i called some one a great sportsman? yes perhaps you are right. i did feel challenged. till this point i still do not know why you requested me to "point you in the direction of which matches you have witnessed where the players did not shake hands at the end of the match" and for what purpose or good that could have ever come out of it.

i believe this is the part that 'misslead' most of us readers here on your message. especially after a quote of mine that mentions the sportsmanship of chen hong.
    i cant speak for everybody or even wl2172, but this is where i was 'misslead'. sorry for sounding cynical but you just have not convinced me as there are too many loose ends and a whole lot of 'backtracking' in my perception of your post. but once again this is just my opinion and truthfully i can say there is no love lost between us, smile its a beautiful day. :)

and you still have not replied wether i answered your earlier question. if you could spare the time of course please do. :)

of yes one more thing. the word 'please' when requesting someone to retract a statement can do wonders for your PR. i suppose this is something i learned the hard way myself :D

#136 jug8man, Jul 11, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2004
  17. camilla martin

camilla martin Regular Member

you are right..........BRAVE TURTLE,SMASHING BIRD AND BIGMOJO
    all china PLAYERS doesn't show any sign of SPORTMANSHIP.........
    i also HOPE he won't win olympic
    and he just know how to action action only
    have good IQ but don have EQ at all.......
    i hope DENMARK all players will win olympic!!!

18. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

more proof!! :D:D:D:D:D:D
    thanks camilla. your statement just cemented my argument rock solid. case closed. :p