Malaysia news

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open 2004' started by Chesire Cat, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Chesire Cat

Chesire Cat Regular Member

Journalist at The Jakarta Post
    Hi

Cappy told me to post some of my articles here. I actually posted it under "introduction" forum but he said that nobody would read that part LOL so..yeah..I decided to move it here LOL *shrugs shoulders* hope you find it interesting LOL :D

2. Chesire Cat

Simon opts to prepare for tour of European
    Friday, June 25, 2004
    Eva C. Komandjaja, Jakarta

Young shuttler Simon Santoso, whose performance failed to enable the national team to retain the Thomas Cup at the recent championship, is not among the Indonesian squad to the Malaysia Open, which starts on June 29.

The 19-year-old has opted to take up an intensive training regime for several tournaments in Europe later this year.

According to Simon's coach, Joko Supriyanto, his prot‚g‚ would need to improve his skills and mentality, especially after being defeated in a decisive tie with Denmark in the semifinal stage of the Thomas Cup in Jakarta in May.

Simon lost to Peter Rasmussen to hand Denmark a 3-2 win and a final ticket against eventual champion China.

"I really want him to be ready and fully prepared for the upcoming tournaments later this year.

"If I sent him to take part in the Malaysia Open it would mean he would have to halt his training and start all over again after the event," Joko told The Jakarta Post on Thursday.

According to Joko, Simon will wrap up three months of intensive training, after which he will travel to Europe to enter several tournaments, including the Belgium Open and Denmark Open.

Apart from Simon, Eng Hian will be absent from the Malaysian Open too, leaving Flandy Limpele in a makeshift partnership with Candra Wijaya.

Eng Hian said that he wanted to take some rest before the Olympic Games, where he will be teamed up with Flandy.

Other Indonesian doubles for the Malaysian tour include Luluk Hadiyanto/Alvent Yulianto and Sigit Budiarto/Tri Kusharjanto.

"I need a break before the Olympic Games in August, while Flandy feels he needs to play continuously before a big event like that," he said.

World No. 9 Sony Dwi Kuncoro and Taufik Hidayat will be Indonesian hopes in the men's singles along with female compatriots Silvi Antarini, Maria Kristin and Adrianti Firdasari.

Jo Novita/Lita Nurlita are the only women's pair while the mixed contenders comprise Nova Widianto/Vita Marissa and Anggun Nugroho/Eny Widiowati.

3. Chesire Cat

Olympic qualifiers exit Jakarta Open
    Sunday, June 27, 2004

Daniel Shirley and Sara Runesten-Petersen, who will represent New Zealand in the badminton competition at the Olympic Games, lost to Unang and Angeline of Indonesia in the quarterfinal mixed doubles match at the Jakarta Open here on Saturday.

The Kiwi pair won the first game at 15-12 but seemingly lost their focus in the rest of the game with error-prone play on the net.

They were beaten 14-17, 7-15 in the remaining two games.

"It was very disappointing because we won the first game and we were already leading by a match point in the second game but we lost the game," Petersen said.

"I got tired, I wasn't moving much during the game, we did not play positive and we lost our confidence. It's a different condition (playing here) and the players have a different style," she said.

Shirley and Petersen said that their participation at the Jakarta Open was part of their preparation for the 2004 Malaysia Open to be held in Kuantan, Pahang starting on June 29.

"It's annoying that we lost just before the Malaysian Open but I think it's a good chance for us to learn more from our experience," Petersen said.

New Zealand was one of four foreign countries taking part in the Rp 30 million tournament, which featured around 1,000 players. The other three are Malaysia, Singapore and Switzerland.

The tournament, which has four age categories, enters the semifinals and finals on Sunday.

Meanwhile, Indonesian star Taufik Hidayat is to play against Lok Chong Chieh of Malaysia while Sony Dwi Kuncoro will have to wait for a qualifier in the opening matches of the Malaysian Open, which begins June 29 in Kuala Lumpur.

In the doubles, Sigit Budiarto and Tri Kusharjanto will be challenged by Sudket Prapakamol and Patapol Ngernrisuk of Thailand.

Flandy Limpele and Candra Wijaya will team up to face a tough match against Malaysian pair Choong Tan Fuk and Lee Wan Wah. Eng Hian, Flandy's regular partner decided to skip the tournament.

The other Indonesian pair Luluk Hadiyanto and Alvent Yulianto will play against Gan Taik Chai and Koo Kien Keat of Malaysia.

Indonesia is fielding 17 players in five events in the Malaysian Open, which will be their last warmup tournament before the Olympic Games in Athens in August.

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Yes! Posting your articles in here is a better choice!! (not that many people reading the intro. section)

Keep on coming!! Your News & Articles are greatly appreciated!! :)

5. Chesire Cat

Sony, Taufik advance in Malaysian Open [font=Arial, Helvetica]

Indonesia top men's singles shuttlers Sony Dwi Kuncoro and Taufik Hidayat advanced easily on Wednesday to the next round of the 2004 Malaysia Open badminton championship in Kuantan.

Sony beat Malaysian second qualifier Zairul Hafiz Zainuddin 15-2, 15-3 while Taufik lost only four points in his 15-3, 15-1 drubbing of Malaysian Lok Chong Chieh.

Sony will face Agus Haryanto of Hong Kong in the next round on Thursday. Taufik, the 2004 Asian champion, will be challenged by Antti Vitikko of Finland.

Indonesia's other players, Marleve Mainaky and Wiempie Mahardi, had mixed fares. Marleve had to work hard, but still made it through over Anders Boesen of Denmark with 12-15, 15-1, 15-10 while Wiempie lost to veteran Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia 17-14, 15-3.

Marleve's next opponent is Malaysian ace Muhd Hafiz Hashim.

In the women's singles, Silvi Antarini is scheduled to play on Thursday against Jiang Yanmei of Singapore, in which the Indonesian, according to coach Ivana Lie, should be able to round off her win.

Ivana told The Jakarta Post that Silvi was the only protege to have a good chance of advancing to the next stage in the championship, given that her compatriots would face tougher opponents.

Adrianti Firdasari, who defeated Thai shuttler Soratja Chansrisukot 11-7, 11-2 in qualification, will play second-seeded Zhang Ning of China.

Maria Kristin, who has been promoted to the main draw, must tackle former Indonesian star and fourth-seeded Mia Audina Tjiptawan, currently playing for the Netherlands. In the mixed doubles, Indonesian shuttlers triumphed over their Malaysian opponents, with Nova Widhianto and Vita Marissa beating Koo Kien Keat and Mooi Hing Yau 15-8, 15-3 and Anggun Nugroho and Eny Widiowati defeating Gan Taik Chai and Fong Chen Yen 15-10, 3-15, 15-7.
    [/font]

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Lee CW now called a "veteran". LOL!

7. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Yes, you must have got mixed up there Eva, Lee Chong Wei is certainly not a veteran!! :p

Anyway, keep on the work, that's cool! :)

8. Chesire Cat

RI women's singles crash in Malaysia

Three Indonesian women's shuttlers were tripped up at the first hurdle at the 2004 Malaysia Open badminton championship, suffering first-round losses on Thursday.

Silvi Antarini, Maria Kristin and Firdasari were unable to make amends for their disappointing showing at the Uber Cup world badminton championship in Jakarta in May.

However, Asian champion Taufik Hidayat and runner-up Sony Dwi Kuncoro had no trouble in their men's singles matches.

In the women's draw, Silvi's defeat was particularly shocking. Facing the little-known Jiang Yanmei of Singapore, the Indonesian put up little resistance in losing 11-6, 11-1.

Maria Kristin had a more respectable performance against the more experienced Mia Audina Tjiptawan, the fourth seeded Indonesian-born shuttler who now plays for the Netherlands.

Maria stole the first game 11-3 but could not hold onto the momentum, losing the next two sets 11-3, 13-10.

In another match, Firdasari posed little competition for second seed Zhang Ning of China, who drubbed the Indonesia 11-9, 11-2.

"Silvi and Jiang are of equal strength, but Silvi looked to be rushing her game," Indonesian coach Ivana Lie told The Jakarta Post on Thursday.

Discussing Maria's defeat, Ivana said she was leading 9-3 in the third set but then became overly cautious and made a rash of mistakes.

In the men's singles, Sony Dwi Kuncoro and Taufik Hidayat both advanced to the quarterfinals. Sony defeated Agus Haryanto of Hong Kong 15-10, 15-7, while Taufik dispatched Anti Vitikko of Finland 15-10, 15-5.

However, not everything went Indonesia's way with Marleve Mainaky losing to Malaysia's Muhd Hafiz Hashim 15-8, 17-14.

Sony will next play Korean shuttler Park Sung-hwan, while Taufik will face Ronald Susilo of Hong Kong.

Indonesia's hopes in the men's doubles now rest on Luluk Hadiyanto and Alvent Yulianto, who beat the Malaysian pair of Gan Taik Chai and Koo Kien Kiat 15-9, 15-7.

Candra Wijaya and Flandy Limpele were beaten by Choong Tan Fook and Lee Wan Wah of Malaysia 15-11, 9-15, 15-0.

Sigit Budiarto and Tri Kusharjanto conceded their match against Sudket Prapakamol and Patapol Ngernsrisuk of Thailand.

Coach Aryono Miranat said Tri rushed home on Thursday to be with his wife, who was hospitalized with a serious illness.

Alvent and Luluk will face Daniel Shirley of New Zealand and Robert Blair of England in the quarterfinals.

In the women's doubles, Jo Novita and Lita Nurlita, and Lilyana Natsir and Greysia Polii advanced to the quarterfinals.

9. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    Daniel Shirley of New Zealand and Robert Blair of England

I curious about the above pair made up of two players of different nationalities. I really want to know how they train. Do they train in UK or NZ ? And if they make it to Olympics, which country would they represent ?

Btw I give my blessings to Alven and Luluk to make it one more step nearer to their Olympics Gold Medal !!! They manage to win the talented pair of Gan and Koo !!!

10. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Kien Keat maturing fast

New Straits Times » Sport

BADMINTON/Malaysia Open: Young Kien Keat may be the missing link in doubles

July 2:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MALAYSIAN doubles is in desperate need of a player with character and potential and talented youngster Koo Kien Keat fits the bill. Not only does Kien Keat, the 2003 Asian Junior champion, possess immense potential but has all the hallmarks of a future champion with his outgoing nature and fearless approach against the world's leading pairs. Kien Keat, just 19 and who currently partners Gan Teik Chai, has set his sights on gaining exposure in major events, including the World Championships in Anaheim, United States next year. Kien Keat's first big assignment was the Thomas Cup Finals in Jakarta in May and, though only a novice, made his presence felt with some encouraging performances.
    What won most praise was his confdence and fighting spirit on court and Kien Keat vows he will awlays have that whenever he is in a match. "I respect the top pairs but there is no way I can match them by being too timid or afraid on court," said Kien Keat.
    "We have to show our confidence in matches or else we will never beat the top players.
    "I learned this in the Thomas Cup Finals and now I have confidence playing against the best. I will always remain a lively character when on court."
    However, a strong character is not the only thing that can take Kien Keat far. He has also vowed to work on his skills and tactics.
    The fact that his partner Teik Chai has a height disadvantage (standing just five feet five inches) is all the more reason, Kien Keat believes, that it is very important to be brave in international tournaments.
    "We do not have the advantage in size or height and this it will be easier for our opponents to beat us if we are timid on court.
    "We have to show aggression in every way or except defeat. "This could be one of the reasons why we have been losing in the prelimnary rounds in most tournaments. We must look for better results."
    It remains to be seen if Kien Keat and Teik Chai can go far on the world stage but the former definitely has the potential. With Chan Chong Ming's partner Chew Choon Eng nearing retirement, national doubles coach Yap Kim Hock can even consider Kien Keat as a replacement. However, Kien Keat is more focused on establishing himself as quality doubles player on the international stage with Teik Chai.

11. Chesire Cat

Badminton director calls for training evaluation

Taufik Hidayat and Sony Dwi Kuncoro are the latest Indonesian victims at the Malaysian Open, prompting the national training director to say the program needed to be evaluated.

Taufik and Sony, who entered the tournament as the Asian championship finalists, were shut out of the tournament late on Thursday following the exit of their female compatriots.

Taufik was brought down 13-15, 15-9, 15-8 by Ronald Susilo of Singapore while Sony went down to South Korea's Park Sung-hwan 15-10, 15-10.

Earlier in the day Silvi Antarini, Maria Kristin and Firdasari had to pack for home, adding to the woes they suffered from their failure in the Uber Cup in Jakarta in May.

National training director Christian Hadinata said the Badminton Association of Indonesia (PBSI) would need to evaluate the training program with a short-term view of preserving Indonesia's medal chances at the upcoming Olympics.

"There are still many weaknesses right now," Christian said after preparing for a PBSI extraordinary meeting.

The extraordinary meeting will be held in Jakarta on July 17. At the meeting, the PBSI will convene to replace incumbent chairman Chaerul Tanjung, who has been forced to curtail his term after criticism of his chairmanship.

While Chairul's replacement is expected to improve Indonesian badminton in the longer term, most national representatives were still struggling in Malaysia.

Christian said the PBSI would have to give more opportunities to inexperienced-but-talented shuttlers like new doubles team Markis Kidho and Hendra Setiawan, who did well in Malaysia to defeat second seeds Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng of China 17-16, 15-13.

Markis and Hendra will play compatriots Luluk Hadiyanto Alven Yulianto, the 15-12, 15-10 winners over the England-New Zealand pairing of Robert Blair and Daniel Shirley, in the quarterfinals.

In the women's doubles, only Greysia Polii and Lilyana Natsir advanced to a quarterfinal berth, with a 15-5, 15-8 win over English pair Gail Emms and Donna Kellogg.

Jo Novita and Lita Nurlita were sent home by Danish pair Mette Schjoldager and Pernille Harder, losing 15-12, 15-7.

Nova Widhianto and Vita Marissa are Indonesia's contenders in the mixed doubles. They will face the fourth seeds, Thai pair Sudket Prapakamol and Saralee Thungthongkam, in the quarterfinals after defeating the Danish duo, Thomas Laybourn and Pernille Harder, 15-5, 15-2.

#11 Chesire Cat, Jul 2, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2004
  12. Chesire Cat

hi fook

they met during the championship they didn't train together. they had been paired because they registered without their own partners.
    daniel shirley and sara petersen registered as mixed doubles but they wanted to compete in men's and women's doubles too and robert blair/gail emms had the same problem LOL so they paired up...i dunno if they made some kind of agreement first LOL (since they were playing against each other in mixed doubles) but i don't think they have training together. i had a little chat with daniel and sara last saturday when they were here for the jakarta open :) they didn't even know about the draw until i showed them my copy from the website LOL :D

13. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    Koo and Chan

That was I was thinking too. If such great players like Chan and Koo go to waste, den it is a pity for the Malaysian team.

14. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Agreed. Koo and Chan will be an interesting combo

15. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Latest news from Bernama

Chong Wei Upsets Chen Hong To Enter Malaysian Open Final

KUANTAN, July 3 (Bernama) -- Last year's runner-up Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia stunned the defending champion and second seed Chen Hong of China to enter the final of the US$120,000 (RM456,000) Malaysia Open badminton championships at the Sukpa Indoor Stadium in Bandar Indera Mahkota, here Sunday.

In Saturday night's semifinals, the 13th seed Chong Wei prevailed in three games 15-8, 5-15, 15-6 in exactly one hour to claim his second successive final appearance in his home Grand Prix.

It was the 21-year-old Penangite's first ever victory over the Chinese world number two in three encounters so far as he lost both their previous head-to-head clashes in the 2002 Asian Championships third round and last year's Malaysia Open final in Kota Kinabalu.

Chong Wei will meet unseeded Park Sung-hwan in Sunday's final as the South Korean rising star clawed back from a game down to create another upset win over world champion Xia Xuanze of China 8-15, 17-15, 15-10 in 82 minutes.

Fully backed by the 4,000 sell-out crowds, Chong Wei played according to his game plan to send the shuttle low for most of the time which eventually forced Chen Hong to do the unforced errors.

He returned every shots given by Chen Hong, the former All England champion, and while giving away the opening point to his opponent, the Malaysian raced to a 7-3 lead. At 9-8, he grabbed six points in a row to seal the opening game 15-8 in 24 minutes after Chen Hong failed to retrieve his smash at the left-court sideline.

Chen Hong then redoubled his effort and it was paid off as he was 9-4 ahead in the second game with brilliant and powerful smashes to the sidelines. He gave away just another point before winning the game 15-5 in 14 minutes as Chong Wei's return hits the net.

In the rubber game, Chong Wei was leading 7-1 with attacking plus great net play. Chen Hong closed the gap to 5-7 but Chong Wei had the upper hand when they changed the court at 8-5.

With two service changes, the Malaysian reached the match point at 14-6 but Chen Hong saved three match points before surrendering 6-15 after losing a long rally battle with Chong Wei finished it off with a killer at the net.

"I'm very happy to have avenged my previous defeats to Cheng Hong. It's true, I was tired but I knew Chen Hong was tired too in the third set and tried to attack me but shots ended up in the net," said Chong Wei, ranked 15th in the world.

"I feel my chances for the final Sunday are 50-50 even though I lost to Sung-hwan in the Japan Open in April. I'll try my best but we'll see how I recover from this match," said Chong Wei, who has a 1-1 head-to-head record against Sung-hwan.

Aside from losing the Japan Open first round 11-15, 15-11, 16-17, Chong Wei defeated the Asian junior singles champion 15-11, 4-15, 15-12 in their first meeting at the Thailand Open third round in January.

Sung-hwan, who secured upset victories over Indonesian number one Sony Dwi Kuncoro in the third round and reigning world number one Lin Dan of China in the quarterfinals, was on the brink of defeat against Xuanze, as he trailed 10-13 in the second game after losing the first 8-15.

However, he fought back gallantly to win the match 17-15 and forced the rubber. Xuanze, the 2000 Malaysia Open runner-up in Shah Alam after losing to Indonesia's Taufik Hidayat, could not prevent Sung-hwan from entering his first ever Grand Prix final when he lost the decider 10-15.

Malaysia also have representatives in the men's doubles final with third seeds Choong Tan Fook and Lee Wan Wah, as expected, beating their inexperienced compatriots Tan Bin Shen and Ong Soon Hock 17-14, 15-4 in Saturday night's semifinals.

Tan Fook and Wan Wah, whose last World Grand Prix title was at the 1999 German Open, will face the fifth seeds Luluk Hadiyanto and Alven Yulianto of Indonesia in the final of the four-star meet.

The Malaysian duo, currently ranked fourth in the world, lost in their last three finals in the All-England this year, last year's China and Hong Kong Opens.

They had a 2-2 head-to-head record against Luluk-Alven with the last meeting in favour of the Malaysians in the Thomas Cup quarter-finals in Jakarta two months ago.

Luluk and Alven struggled for more than an hour as they fought back from losing the opening game before beating the unseeded Danish pair Thomas Laybourn and Peter Steffensen 13-15, 15-5, 15-10.

The women's singles final will be between two Chinese shuttlers Zhou Mi and Zhang Ning. Zhou Mi, the third seed, shocked the top seed and world number one Gong Ruina, also of China, 11-8, 11-5 whilst Zhang Ning outclassed China-born Pi Hongyang, who represented France, 11-2, 11-5, in the other semi-finals.

-- BERNAMA

16. Chesire Cat

Luluk, Alvent challenge home pair of Choong, Lee in Malaysia Open finals

Sports News - July 04, 2004

[font=Times New Roman, Ms Serif]Eva C. Komandjaja, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Fifth seeded pair Luluk Hadiyanto/Alvent Yulianto became Indonesia's only hope at the 2004 Malaysia Open badminton championships after they had secured a place in the men's double final round on Saturday.

Luluk/Alvent grabbed a ticket to final round after defeating Danish Duo Thomas Laybourn/Peter Steffensen 13-15, 15-5, 15-10 in a semifinal match on Saturday afternoon.

The Indonesian pair path to victory will not be easy since they will be challenged by Malaysian top doubles Choong Tan Fuk/Lee Wan Wah in final round.

Meanwhile, another Indonesian pair in mixed doubles Nova Widianto/Vita Marissa could not have a similar result with their compatriots after losing 11-15, 8-15 to first seeded Chinese pair Zhang Jun/Gao Ling.

In men's singles, South Korean rising star Park Sung-hwan defeated world number one shuttler Lin Dan in the quarterfinals of the 2004 Malaysia Open held in Kuantan late on Friday night.

The Olympic gold medal hopeful Lin Dan, who has been virtually unbeatable over the past nine months, finally collapsed 15-12, 15-5.

The 20-year-old former Asian Junior champion Park deserves all the credit for ending Lin Dan's run, and gave scant respect to the ability of a player who has dominated the world badminton scene, winning five tournaments since September last year.

Park will next take on world champion Xia Xuanze in his first semifinal appearance in a top-level tournament.

Meanwhile on Saturday, Malaysia's only hope Lee Chong Wei secured his place in the men's singles final round after defeating second seeded China shuttler Chen Hong in three games 15-8, 5-15, 15-6.

In the women's singles, top seed Gong Ruina defeated South Korea's Jun Jae Youn 11-5, 11-1 to set up a semifinal clash against world number three Zhou Mi, who defeated compatriot Xie Xingfang 11-1, 11-8. Another surprise came in women's singles division after new French citizen Pi Hongyan sent Holland's Mia Audina Tjiptawan packing 5-11, 11-5, 11-2. Pi will take on world number two Zhang Ning in the semifinals after the Chinese trashed Denmark's Camilla Martin 11-0, 11-3.
    [/font]