Malaysia chances in other sports..

Discussion in 'BEIJING 2008 non-badminton events / discussion' started by george@chongwei, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

You are right, there are no guarantees in life. But true achievers through tangible hardwork and determination will deliver. Leisel Jones is a world champion swimmer with a couple of world records. She had her ups and downs but at the end of the day, she is a winner. As for us, our Malaysia Boleh is about empty razzmatazz and a whole bunch of hulabaloo with no tangible achievements to show at the end of the day. We talk the talk - rhetorics but when it comes to the walk, we come out short.

Yes, dont talk about archery, it is all hype. But thats what Malaysia Boleh is about. We are good in making the noise.

Cycling??? Trust me, our cyclists are gonna be found out in Beijing big time. Josiah Ng did all the high fives with Tyson Gay, Kobe Bryant etc but when the moment of truth comes, he will stumble. Cold feet or something.

Taekwondo?? We are decent la. Above average la. Ok ok la. Can cari makan la. But medal contenders?? Well, if its the Sukma or Sea games, I would say yes.

Badminton?? You said MAS will take 2 gold. I will gladly go bald if MAS win 1 gold. And yes, I will be more than happy to provide the pics. Question is, are you willing to eat that humble pie should MAS not bring home even 1 gold from badminton??????

#41 Pemuda, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  2. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Cant wait to see another YapKimHock in the making... :eek::D

3. markchan

markchan Regular Member

Are they ever gonna let Squash into the Olympics as an event??

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

nolar...another sairul amar ayob!!:D:D

5. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Pemuda,

Since you are so generous with your tribute to WMC, I will eat humble pie if we don't get two golds (although you are really asking me to guarantee the wins).

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Archery
    In the 1st place, the hype surrounding archery was by the media, and not all media at that. They were barred from talking to the press in Beijing, the team manager answered questions, one of the reporters was concerned how they would handle the pressure on the day.
    THis hype came about cos the archery team won silver in 2008 World Champs, it's World Champ, that means 2nd best in the world, behind South Korea. They could handle the pressure ok then(they got nervous but keep it together).

BUT the coach himself, from South Korea, had repeatedly said OG is different, and that the archers are 1st timers in OG, not that experienced.
    The archers themselves down played their chances, they just wanted to give their best (who wouldnt)
    They got nervous, I wasnt surprised cos they also got nervous in 2008 World Champs, the coach had to keep calming them down.
    Anyway, all the best to them.

Cycling has been touted as 2nd in line in terms of getting OG medal. Josiah Ng has been in the 2004 Athens, he could handle it. He & his juniors are in good form, that's one of the reasons the track cyclist was chosen as flag bearer. But they themselves mainly said they focus on getting thru qualifying, then to final.

Taekwando is 4th in line for medal, one of the gals was runner up in 2008 Asia Champ. The chef de mission mentioned them 1st, then the media followed suit, before that nobody even thought of Taekwando. Aparently in martial arts, they dont have bronze play-off. 3rd & 4th place both get bronze. On paper, Taekwando doesnt have much chance, it's just hype.

#46 eaglehelang, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  7. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

In the very first place, lets stay on subject and not go all over the place. So, leave the media aside.

Archery World Championship 2008??? :eek: I did some checking cos I am no archery fan nor expert. The last Archery World Championship was held in Leipzig, Germany in 2007. And I certainly didnt see our team finishing 2nd. Here's the site; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/44th_Outdoor_Archery_World_championship#Medallists
    So, seriously please go check your facts.

Cycling ... and what did Josiah Ng achieved in Athens exactly?? And his juniors being in 'good form' can be touted as medal prospects?? :eek: Well, WCH, LWW/CTF were all in good spirits, best physical shape and form going to the Olympics too ... what happened to them??

TaeKwondo, we need to know that our athletes are average. And they are certainly not medal prospects in Beijing as this is the Olympics, not MSSM games or som inter bank jamboree.

8. morphy

morphy Regular Member

I cant believe squash isn't an Olympic sport (and won't be for 2012). It would have been MAS's best hope for gold for one Nicol David.

9. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    I watched josiah in athens he was gonna win a medal and then someone crashed beside him and slowed him down a little in the final....so 5th place instead....

10. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Yeah, I vaguely remember that but wasnt sure. That's also what the cyclists meant when they said though they feel confident, it depends on the day of race. As in any race, the cyclists can have accident & crash into one another and......

11. spchu

spchu Regular Member

I wonder if it's a conspiracy against minnow country like us.... Malaysia produced a prodigy in squash but it's not an event in Olympics....:(

12. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    Remember to watch our archer Chen Chu Sian in action at 10:56 AM today!

13. victory

victory Regular Member

Squash is a good racket game but we just need to promote it further before it will be enlisted as one of the Olympic events. Still long way to go. I like squash a s well.:)

14. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    We are leading by 2 arrow!

C'mon!

15. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    YES!!!

We won!!!!

WE ARE IN THE SEMIS!

WOOO HOOOO!!!!

16. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    we beat the koreans by 1 point in the sudden death shootoff!

yeah!

17. Hazeef

Hazeef Regular Member

Student
    IF squash is an olympic game, i think nicol david will have soo many competitors. not only the Grinham sisters, but the whole world, esp USA and China will be trying their best, gathering people around their nation to do the best in the game. u think we will have chance?

18. spchu

spchu Regular Member

19. spchu

spchu Regular Member

I still acknowledge Nicole is the best in women Squash :)

20. d65up2

d65up2 Regular Member

Student
    Guys I checked the website sort of and so far a happy day for me...u know why?? Cos MAS is on 0 medals