Malaysia Boleh Spirits

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Dato A, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    Eh?!

Argument?! What argument? :confused: I didn't recall presenting one… Did I say Proton made such a wise decision to buy and sell that MV Agusta? Did I defend Proton for its 'WISE' decision? :cool: Proton reported that the decision was taken up to avoid more financial trouble and yes, which eventually will lead it to bear the burdens should they still keep the company… it was indeed a decision to 'safe itself' from more financial burden but unfortunately Proton also lost more money to pay the debt… Laughable? :cool: I don't see myself laughing when I read about it… or when I read the 'lame' word… who is lame? Proton or you-know-who?

There were questions brought up over this issue… and one of it was 'where are the other bidders?' … seems like they were too busy collecting the EUR10.00 for the cash upfront or perhaps they just realized nasi lemak is much cheaper that the debt they would have to bear…

Oh, come on… we are looking at ourselves the whole time… Malaysia is not perfect… nothing is… what we can do is work for the better of our future and thus, 'Malaysia Boleh'… why make understanding two simple words too hard? What is so wrong about having a Malaysia Boleh spirit that some can't seem to stop scrutinizing it?

Btw, did I say anything that mean we can’t set higher benchmark for our goals? :cool:Don't think so…. Hmm… really hard to write something optimistic here… perhaps should not mention that DS words… I said "don’t get TOO blinded…" means don’t get too carried away you becoming so negative towards your own country, it's clouding your judgment, even Malaysia Boleh spirit also becoming a victim, haish… Malaysia definitely can be as successful as others, and improve its edu. system, transportation etc. If I have to wait my whole life to see these happen then so be it… if don't want to wait, then walk the talk la… see if they could change Malaysia in a blink of an eye…

2. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    err...era, relax. (^_@).

3. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    There is no doubt this was a bad investent for Proton.

But on the face of it, we have to buy their explanation that, faced with assuming further loans liabilities and capital injections of the order of several hundres of millions, and lack
    of synergy with its car division, coupled with Protons ‘negative profits’, this was the most prudent course of action to take i.e. cut their ‘losses’ and stop the bleeding permanently.

The key to unravelling the whole kaboodle is if some one could reveal if Gevi Spa is a genuine Italy company. Or whether it is owned by off-shore tax haven companies controlled through nominees of any Malaysian party, which has hitherto circumvented disclosure and conflict of interest laws her, and possibly defrauded the Government.

4. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Ehh ...ehh dah megamok pulak

Let me help you to remember;

Calm down. Calm down.

Ok, tell me what has Malaysia Boleh brought us so far??

Having made the world's largest omellete? Those massive white elephant projects? Or seeing EUR 70 million vanished into thin air within 12 months?

Honestly, lets be calm and examine what are the positives of Malaysia Boleh so far?

5. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Hello Dato,

You are very diplomatic. You called it bad investment. I am calling it daylight robbery. To see EUR70 million depreciated over 12 months to EUR1.00 is no longer a case of bad investment.

6. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Daylight robbery..wow!

7. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    Hmmm...

So?? where is the argument? I don't even has the intention to argue when I wrote that :cool:... oh do you mean 'defending'?... or like giving excuse on behalf of proton? read the whole thing and understand what I really thought about the acquisition before you go writing what you wrote...

Pointless to re-explain ... I won't entertain such request... I know what it is, you know what it is... suffice to say, even if I got it listed down it will never satisfy you... cos, we own two different brains, minds, views, opinions and many more...

In this positively calm mind of mine, I must say... go figure ;)

8. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Wait a minute ... who is talking about wanting to argue here? :eek:
    By the way, 'argument' dont nescessarily mean literally having an argument as in an oral disagreement or altercation. Argument in this case means a discussion involving differing points of view i.e. debate. Oh deary me.

Here is what you wrote;

Let me help you with what you wrote above. Read the highlighted sentence ... slowly.

You dont need to satisfy me.

Based on your; "What is so wrong about having a Malaysia Boleh spirit that some can't seem to stop scrutinizing it?" I was just curious to find out what that Malaysia Boleh thingy has brought us from your point of view.

If you think it is pointless to explain despite your; "What is so wrong about having a Malaysia Boleh spirit that some can't seem to stop scrutinizing it?" ... no probs.

Hey ... glad to know you have calmed down. Was a little worried with your below neither here nor there statement;

Night nite

9. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Wilfrey, it is like building a house actually. Before we put up the 2nd floor and wanting to install a massive karaoke room etc, we need to ensure the foundation is solid. This is not Engineering 101, its more actually cow sense 101. In that sense, we need good governance first before anything else.

On a side note, pertaining the Bumi quota liberalisation on 27 sub sectors in the services sector by the government, I applaud such a move. We need em' crutches off.

BUT the government MUST initiate the following:

1. A written memo to ALL government agencies and departments at implementation level. The government should immediately establish a federal level one-stop centre at all states to ensure the smooth implementation of this liberalisation - serving enquiries, resolve confusion and accept complaints
    2. Open up government procurement to all Malaysian listed/registered companies without favouring any particular type of companies.
    3. The government must support all local companies without using the liberalisation to channel aid, grants and financial support to only "selected" companies to help to compete with the rest.
    Have a good evening.

10. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    Mmmm....

seriously?

ok..... so????

God bless...

Good...

why worry when it's unnecessary? oh deary me...

nite...nite...

11. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    * Double post *

#1071 wilfredlgf, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  12. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Assuming that I do have cow sense 101, you will still need to be more specific as to what should be done to fix a house already built - something like below:

Why didn't you talk like this in the first place - then there will be less reason to oppose you out of annoyance or anger. I seriously have no issues on many of the... issues that you raised (I even agree to some of them); its the way they are presented is what makes people want to lynch the writer.

I agree with all three points.

13. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    What has Malaysia Boleh brought us so far?

..... now, before you guys come talk about this all over again, mind if i say we should first agree on what aspect of malaysia boleh are we talking about? The idea of Malaysia Boleh , i think, might be different from what we are now implemeting, or what we'd implemented since then.
    so, it's cool if we can make it clear. What aspect of m. b? The Definition, Implementation, or the Results?

14. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I think for someone who said this;

... maybe you should take a rain check on this as you cant even define what Malaysia Boleh is to you in the first place.

15. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Well, cow sense 101 will tell you that you need to tear down the entire house and rebuild it from bottom up to ensure the foundation is solid, not wishy washy or flimsy i.e. the judiciary, executive must be independent. That is the basic foundation of good governance.

Dude, I have been talking like that all this while. I am upfront and I make no bones about it.

It is very simple actually, if you don’t like the comments then don’t read them. Why read the comments and then get upset because you don’t like what you read? While readers are free to post comments, other readers are also free to not read them.

You know the facts are going to be painful and you know that you are going to get upset if you read them. Yet you still read them -- and then get upset with what you read. Have you not heard of freedom of choice? You are free to not read the comments as much as those posting the comments are free to post what they want.

... and by the way, of course you will agree with all em' 3 points. It is common sense and the right thing to do. ;)

16. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    It's not me mate, it's the others in here. I already know your style enough to ignore the barbs but others don't and they take offense at what is perceived to be a rude response to those who disagree. When they get upset, the place gets rowdy and unnecessary daggers get traded to and fro.

I mean, do talk about the 'painful' stuff so what we can discuss about how to fix it - admitting one's weaknesses and failings is the first step to fixing it - but do stop attacking people. If you read carefully, the many angry responses you get in here is not so much about what you say but rather in how you say it. No need to sugarcoat it, no - just tell it as it is, hence my little question at the very top of this page with a finger pointing to every single Malaysian on this thread/board.

We can discuss the first part of the 'house' analogy on PM if you like, but campaigning is prohibited per the law of the forum.

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore budgets for a World-Class Education System

Since education ranks high in our discussion, may I share with you an article in

Walk your Talk 2009 Vol 2 on Singapore's aspirations:

Despite the global economic problems Singapore Education Minister Dr Ng Eng Hen says not only will the government not inflict cutbacks on it education system, it will take advantge of opportunities to improve on its world-class education system....

writes Floyd Cowan:

A country's education system is one of the fundamentals that determines how competitive it is as a nation, it determines how well it meets the needs of the people as they pursue their personal aspirations while meeting the needs of a complex economy. Singapore has long invested resources into developing its education system and those efforts have produced world-class results.

International Recognition

The quality of the education system is not only recognized by those who live in Singapore, it has been given accolades by respected companies and institutes around the world. McKinsey & Company, who produce McKinsey Report on education, named Singapore as one of the world's top-performing education systems in 2007.

Singapore was ranked first by the World Competitiveness Yearbook in 2008 for having an education system that best meets the needs of a competitive economy. The Yearbook is produced by IMD, a leading global business school based in Lausanne, Switzerland.

Budgets are not only used for allocating money, they are an opportunity to set government and national priorities and inform educators, parents and students of the direction the government intends to move.

Proud Achievements

When Education Minister Dr Ng Eng Hen stood up to address Parliament in the Fiscal Year (FY) 2009 Committee of Supply Debate on February 10, he informed the country that the Ministry was not only proud of what it had achieved so far, it was going to continue to build the education system by giving it the resources it will need to keep Singapore competitive and offer quality education to its citizens.

According to the Ministry of Education (MOE) Singapore spends around three to four percent of its GDP on public education. This amount has increased from $4.9 billion in FY98 to $8.7 billion in FY09, in nominal dollar terms, For this financial year, the education budget has been increased by 5.5 percent and MOE projects that spending on education will increase by 25 percent to $11 billion by 2013.

"It has been money well spent because we have made progress," says Minister Ng. Our education system is internationally respected for it rigorous standards. We have a competent and motivated professional teaching workforce led by capable principals. We produce quality students who are welcomed by top institutions in Singapore and world-wide. More importantly, our education system has benefited all students across the spectrum of academic abilities."

Opportunities in a Downturn

The current global economic conditions and the fact that Singapore is in a technical recession did not divert MOE from its mission of continual improvement to the system. "Specifically," the Minister stated, "for education, there are opportunities that we can seize in this downturn to continue building a world-class education system."

What is a world-class education system?

The McKinsey Report, after studying educations systems throughout the world came to the conclusion that the experience of the world's top school systems suggest three things matter most:

1. Getting the right people to become teachers,
    2. Developing them into effective instructors and,
    3. Ensuring that the system is able to deliver the best possible instruction for every child.

It is of little surprise that these values were expressed by Minister Ng when he delivered the FY 2009 budget.

Three Essential Elements

"To me," said the Minister, "three essential elements characterise such an education system."

1. Respected for High Standards
    2. Provides Universal Access Based on Merit
    3. Responsive to the palette of talents & learning needs

"One, it is an education system that is respected for its high standards and has peaks of excellence comparable to top institutions worldwide. This not only refers to universities, but schools, ITE and polytechnics. We should aim for our institutions to be best in their class."

"Two, it provides universal access based on merit, with bridges for students to cross over to different institutions, as they progress. Poor or rich, Singaporeans should be able to rise through education. Those without financial means should be given support to do so. In the same vein, those who are well-to-do should not be held back.

"Third, it must be responsive to the diverse palette of talents and learning needs. We should have a wide spread of programmes and institutions that provide individuals with different strength and, at various stages of their life, opportunities to develop themselves and become more productive."

Building Character & Values

In his desire to develop institutions that "build character and values" the Minister admits that tensions will always exist between these three elements. "For example", he explained, "when we try to provide universal access we run the risk of lowering standards... Peaks of excellence which benefit select students require large resources which could have been better spent to provide opportunities for the masses. The Ivy League Universities with their large endownments exemplify this. We live with these tensions, never completely resolving them but always adjusting and finding opportunities to approach a golden mean. These three essential elements serve as guide posts in our quest."

Forward looking planning is essential to keeping an education system on the leading edge, and Minister Ng believes that he must keep an eye on longer term fundamentals. "Looking ahead," he stated, "our education system must continue to evolve in Singapore, to respond to the needs of a changing economy and profiles of Singaporeans."

#1077 Loh, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Loh, I believe this is a 'Malaysia Boleh Spirits' thread. It would be better to have;) your post under a new 'Singapore Got Boleh' thread!

19. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Cool la. jangan emo weyh. ;) I will do my rain check. But, here i am, asking a question.

I shall repeat :
    before you guys come talk about this all over again, mind if i say we should first agree on what aspect of malaysia boleh are we talking about? The idea of Malaysia Boleh , i think, might be different from what we are now implemeting, or what we'd implemented since then.
    so, it's cool if we can make it clear. What aspect of m. b? The Definition, Implementation, or the Results?

Anyone? All I am asking is a simple question and if you don't have the answer, just say so. Its nothing to be embarrassed about. :).

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hahaha...I'm sorry if does not fit in here. I'll leave it to the mods. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.