Malaysia Boleh Dilemma: What's Next After Beijing? (my last thread)

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by Pemuda, Aug 17, 2008.

1. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Remember it may be 12 years, but this is only three OG tournaments. And you say it is 12 years since you won something - did I miss something? You didn't win anything then, that was also silver.:confused:

Of course it is a success. Your players did as well as they could expect. LCW is No. 2 in the world, he came second. WCH did what he can expect - Beat taufik. WMC is ranked 9th, she made QF (over achieve). CTF/LWW maybe underacheived by not making QF, but they lost to Bronze Medalist. KKK/TBH made QF and they are ranked 6th in world and they lost to the winners! WD lost in last 16, they are ranked 11th and lost to eventual silver medalists (may have won if not for injury.) The only player that lost a player ranked beneath them was WCH - but surely you had no expectation of him?

What next? well your post answers that, like you say 1996 was a success, you equalled this after 12 (long) years, so surely this is progress and you should simply continue the current progress?

Outlasting CHN players should not be hard, they usually retire between 24 & 27. I can't remember the last player that played longer than that.

Overall my opinion of this thread is that it is a typical reaction from MAS fans. Of course every fan wants their player to win and their is nothing wrong with this. Dreaming it may happen is part of the fun, but to be angry and upset when the dream doesn't come is not the correct reaction. Leaving the forum on this basis is another ridiculous overreaction. But I guess when your leading players bet about shaving their heads based on results it is only natural that their followers will do equally silly things.

2. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    You can name Chen Hong.......if he is allowed to play full tournament last year, he might be qualified too........

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction

OK correction, played at the highest level - I think XXZ played until 28 but he was never past 2nd round in last 2 yr. And where is he now? can't seem him challenging again.

4. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Hm..I did ask XXZ thru some chinese players, but got different answers..CH may end up living at Taiwan...he is waiting for the birth of his child..at the same time, he is sparring with taiwanese players and also waiting for his paper works too.....

5. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Actually CH did very well in 05 and 06, when XXZ was disappearing. And if CH did not retire and leave the national squad in 07, he should still be a formidable force.

6. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

CY is a formidable force too, but CH would have to work twice as hard just to keep up with his teammate. Could it maintain his peak and winning over CJ and BCL? (remember how quickly his form has dropped after he left the National Team?).

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    OK the CH one got me!:D

but in 05/06 he was 26/27 so within my range.

If you scour posts from 04-06 aprt from his mental abherrations I was big fan of him. I felt he could go on playing at higher level much longer than LD due to his superior Footwork and therfore susceptability. Since then though LD managed to change his technique in footwork and is now much more efficient. Just ran out of desire and favour I guess.

Off topic: do we think he had anything to do with TPE player run to QF in OG MS?

8. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    from Taiwanese's coach...it seems that CH is still unofficial coach/sparring partner for most of Taiwanese players....I will tell you more once I am in Taipeh Open next month....been invited by Taiwanese coach and others for get together with Taiwanese team...I do hope to see CH..

9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Maybe he can give you a few tips:D:Dj/k

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yes, and Hwang Ge can pass on those tips to the Greatest Panda :D.

11. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    :D:D yeah...trust me..from Flandy to Simon....I still sucks big time.......:D

12. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

If LCW is under tremendous pressure, LD with the expectations of over 1 billion++ chinese and as world #1, it would be fair comment to say that his pressure is x100 times of LCW's.

13. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Yes, LD took to the court wanting that gold. LCW too, as he declared that he will fight to the death. But if you look at LCW's track record at the big tournaments i.e. AEs & WCs, you will see that the lad is suspect to pressure and has a tendency to break down. Yes, yes he has improved on the mental side, as compared to the WC in KL last year. And LCW played SDK & LHI brilliantly. But when it came to the final, the expectations from home coupled with the atmosphere at that time got to him.

There is really not much between LD and LCW. Skills wise they are about the same. Stamina wise, LCW hold a slight advantage. Infact, in terms of pressure I would say LD was under more pressure. The difference is the mental side, thus you see LD having the WCs, AEs and now that Olympic gold tucked away in his trophy cabinet.

14. jumpjump

jumpjump Regular Member

oh man. this is really sad but i would have to say that LCW is more pressure affected than LD. because the fact is, LD has more pressure on him than LCW. i know in malaysia that you guys take badminton very very seriously, and you guys consider yourselves as a badminton power house, which is true. you guys are good, you have talented kids, players. but repeating this thing that you guys are a superpower in badminton creates pressure on your players. especially LCW, he is your no. 1 player, he once was the no.1 in the world. but look at what happened to him WC2006, LCW, seeded no.1, lost to BCL, and come on, dont blame the hell out of LYB during that match. LCW simply failed under pressure.

and before i forget, i think its unfair to say that LD was great in the olympic final because LCW was very ordinary. its more appropriate to say its the other way around. that LCW looked ordinary because LD played really the best badminton. its the olympic final for god's sake, dont say the olympic champion was gold just because his opponent wasn't extraordinary. LD played it really well and it isnt right to say that LD was great because LCW was very ordinary, your man lost, he accepted it that he was defeated by a stronger player, physically, mentally. you might as well accept like LCW did, he is an honorable player.

15. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I am sure that is not what LCW wants either. But instead of whining and griping about the situation, I hope he will learn a bit more from the situation and go back to training every aspect of his game. Us fans will just wait till the next tournament comes along.

16. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

No one is griping and whining here. We are having a discussion. And you are welcome to join in if you so wish. So, please hang on to your pants.

17. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I think Hcyong means LCW.......

18. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

No problem at all. We are all having a discussion about that MS gold medal match.

19. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I hope you are not resigning from BC Forum........;)

20. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Rashid for YKH???

Big mistake, BAM. Big mistake.

I guess we will never learn. Shall I make my prediction in advance for London 2012?