LYB's Comments After WC Final

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by abedeng, Aug 20, 2007.

1. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    I am glad to hear those kinda comments came out from LYB.. He actually puts such a high pressure for his own players.. Look at Wat happen to MAS Men's team in the WC.. Pressure definitely holds the keys point of winning..

Of coz we can't compare Chinese players mental ability with the MAS.. But u never know.. The first Olympics Games in their Homeland.. How much heavy does the players' shoulder needs to carry on... While for others, it might be abit lesser burden on them as no 1 will criticize them as "NATIONAL FAILURE" if they try the best shot but Did not win any...

#21 samuel882, Aug 21, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  2. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

China won 3 out of 5 titles in the WC in KL. And on top of that they had one finalist in the Mixed Doubles. With 3 titles in the bag, LYB said that the chinese players are inmature. Imagine 3 titles plus another finalist in XD = players inmature. LYB is as hard as nails. But underneath the man's intentions are sincere. He wants China to be hungry and to dominate.

Over in Malaysia, we had zero titles. We fell flat on our nose. What are we? Beyond inmature? We cannot even put the heavy loss on the table without so-called 'true' Msian fans calling such comments as negatives.

So, in China LYB calls his players inmature despite 3 titles. In Malaysia, we cannot say such negatives. We cannot slam our players when they are down or else they be sad and no longer motivated. We cannot do this and that, and our players must be protected like some porcelin.

See the diff?

3. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    i totally agree to the above-mentioned...
    just one thing, WS, is Zhang Ning going to retire before Olympic 08? hence, this will reduce the chances slightly.....(0.5%)??:D
    btw, is her new haircut at WC2007 really affecting her play? (just a thought)

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    But the OG will be in China, so the balance will tip towards CHN a little bit.

5. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Abedeng and you are right.
    CHN fans are first class. They know when to support CHN players; strongest when they are down.When LD got wobbly towards the end vs Sony, the vocal support probably steadied him. That 's how he managed to close.
    INA fans are second class.
    MAS fans are third class? or ungraded?
    OK clean sweep for CHN in OG08

6. Lobeh

Lobeh Regular Member

Err, what does inmature mean, Mr. Pemuda?

7. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Homecourt advantage?

Hmm? :p

The recent World Championship was in KL... And how many titles did the host nation get? :p

I am not being sarcastic about MAS, in the recent Indonesian Open, INA also did not get any title... :p

My point is: home court advantage often tip the balance not in the favor of the host... ;)

8. newjazz

newjazz Regular Member

typist
    oh well, that's how the 'boss' set the standard just like LYB set the standard to his team.
    IF - in the first place Sutiyoso only target 1 or 2 golds - it'd be as good as he bring down the morale of his players even before the war started!
    Impossible is nothing, isn't it? :D

9. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If "I lose, so I quit" is the mentality, then, there should be no Men's basketball in Olympics after 1992, as the NBA Dream Team I swept everyone by an average of 30+ points. :cool:

Did every other nation simply crying and quit? Did they force US to provide all their best coaches and current NBA players to join their own program? No, instead they improve their own coaching staff and own development system, and 10 years later, they pull US from the golden chair.

I don't have a problem regarding Li Ling Wei's suggestion, as it does help to speed up the process. However, the key issue is not the "exported" coaches or players, it's other nations' own support and systems. You tell me other power houses don't have enough talents or coaches??? Of course, no. Once you fell behind, don't blame others, but work yourself out harder. You can't depend on others, but yourself to improve, to gain respect.

Sorry, but I have to say, the ideas about "damn, I can't win, so let's cancel the program" is sickening me. :(

11. volcom

volcom Regular Member

And what happened at the china open?
    didn't the host nation win 4/5?

12. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I believe if it's US not China winning all 5 OG golds beating everyone by 21-5, 21-5 in the final, the game definitely will continue because Americans like to see their players beat the **** out of the other countries just like basketball 15 years ago, unless the China TV networks can pay as much as the NBC for the TV broadcast rights. Just like watching US basketball against European teams, it's like watching rabbits against turtles. But somehow the slower Europeans can manage to control the pace and play more team basketball and win. I think the European players needs to come up with some new strategies to handle the speed of the Asian players.

#32 Qidong, Aug 21, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  13. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Basketball and Soccer are already world sports. Many nations suck big (for example, the badminton power houses China, Mas and Ind) in Soccer, but they still put huge amount of money into it and the fans are still fanatic.

Badminton is different.

14. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Well Mr. Lobeh, it means you having the ability to spot typos. Good work, dude.

It should be immature.

15. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Please study how the KOREAN/JAPANESE did to their prime sports which is Taekwondo/Karate respectively to the world before u hit back at LLW's suggestion. Rexy from the Badminton powerhouse country & PJB works with the Japanese prove one can really helps to groom many talents in others countries for the good shake of Badminton. If they can take away the nationality conflicts & helps others to develop Badminton. Why couldn't Chinese do the same thing? Moreover, ChN is still the super heavyweight powerhouse in Badminton these days !

16. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    That's a good insight... but here is a better one.

How about just treat each player as an individual, so nobody cares much about the flag on the player's shirt, and treat them as an individual rather than a country's tool for glory.:cool:

Until badminton can do the above, it won't get any closer to the popularity than tennis is enjoying.

Also, if you look carefully, for all the BIG popular sports in the world today(eg. golf, tennis, and etc), they put no emphasis on the Olympics whatsoever... but here is badminton... and Olympics is all that it matters...how sad.:(

17. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    WE simple can't compare those BIG sports with Badminton. While in Tennis & Golf they have many PRO players/league around the world and earn huge amount of $$$. How much did a Badminton players able to earn from any SS??
    Many countries will treat the Badminton players as treasure & rewards them with Big money / properties in return iF the players able to win a Gold in OG.. Even the KOREAN men's player can be exempt frm the national services as army when they get an OG Gold..
    Why should we treat all the players as individual? You wanna play for urslf then u can go to buy any isolated islands in Pacific / Mediterraneans & name it for ur own name If u wished to represent ur own self :D:D

18. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    There is a big diff between LBY who was a player for his country and now a coach and a fan who is NOT a player for his/her country, much less a coach. See the diff?

What LBY says carries a lot more weight. On top of that he is going to sit down and figure out a way on how to get his players to be even better. He is not likely go on and on about why things did not go his way this time.

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes, i bet LYB will be watching and dissecting setiwan/kido games very soon;)

20. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Not if you're China.