Losing all my skills and footwork playing with beginners or old people. Help!!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Obito, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    I actually have the same problem as the OP. I rise or lower to the level of my opponents. If they are much higher than me, I'll lose but I'll play at a much higher level and surprise myself. But if I play with lower level players I find I just fall apart. All it takes is one opponent doing really wild, undisciplined serves and its' like all my training goes out the window.

My solution is to try to avoid the lower level, undisciplined players. It doesn't help me at all. What I DO find helpful, and confidence boosting, is playing with disciplined lower level players. Players that have a bit of training, or a more formal knowledge of the game. That way things seem more standard and I can get into the feeling and flow of the game and give my best. And since they are lower I can crush them, which always makes me feel good hahaha.

But I really try to avoid the people who are just too wild and always hit it as hard as they can and kinda flop around the court. It really damages my style too much. I wish I was a better player so it wouldn't affect me but I'm not there yet.

alien9113 likes this.
  2. eelvis

eelvis Regular Member

Need a mixture if different groups, some a little worse to practice new shots and better people to sharpen your game. Also sometimes you learn more shots from alder player who use skill over power. That's what I try to do.

3. Slade

Slade Regular Member

I would try to figure out why you are falling apart against lower level players and fix the problem, since it lies within you, not them. I've had similar issues where I play "down" to their level.

4. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    I feel like because I lose the rhythm of the game maybe? What was your issue? Do you know?

5. Slade

Slade Regular Member

I think sometimes because I know they aren't as good as I am I lose my focus and play too relaxed.

6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I understand what @Obito mean. I experienced that if I play with a partner who have bad habits for doubles or does things which are not my understand of doubles play. I will lack bite and put in less effort, because I feel taht my partner is working against me.

Frankly I don't experienced this with weak players who can't clear or smash, I experienced this with people who can play a good singles game, because they are fast and can return every shuttle back, but in doubles your opponents are often in much better ready position for the shuttle and placement, positioning and tactics play an important role.

Frankly I experienced that I can play with players who are even weaker than I in singles and I'm not a good singles player, because I don't enjoy it, that we have a stronger synergy and work well together. We create opportunities for each other and understand blindfold. That I have more bite and sting in these games is easy to understand.

I agree with @MSeeley that a defensive partner in training is not bad. I adjust my game for this style of play and see it as scenario to improve. It's not my preferred style of play but even a chance to have exhausting rallies and a chance to improve. It's also very difficult to narrow down what stronger and weaker mean and tbh I came across a bunch of singles players how can't play a decent doubles game.

I also experienced to play against 2 guys which are better than me in singles. One of them much better than me, not chance. I played with a good girl, slightly weaker than me, but due strong synergy and working well together we beat these guys with ease.

If I'm tired I often play with newer peoples at my club and give them feedback and use it as cool down. That I would never play with them any competition is understandable and that I won't benefit if I play with them all the time, is a no-brainer. I have fun and they have fun, so it's not a problem at this moment. Maybe I'm a bit too relaxed, because I never forgot where I came from and what other people gave me and sometimes it's good to give it back.

And by the way: Guys who thinks that they are so good players, why does they don't play singles instead of partner a weak player? I would never place a weaker player at the net. A serious doubles player knows that playing the net is also hard to play and needs very fast reactions, anticipation to intercept and good placement to maintain the attack. And if I need to partner somebody weaker for a recreational match, I would take this chance for the weaker player to see him equal and give her/him advice and hints. If we loose or win doesn't matter at the moment. And if I need to partner somebody who makes me to go nuts, I would play as singles match or wait for a better match or if this happen regular I would change the club if this disturbs me.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Definitely.

Also the lack of intensity.

Third, such players are unpredictable. If you are training, the coach feeds you predictably - you get used to his and other good players body and arm preparation and rhythm. When it comes to those low level players who don't even know themselves what shot they are playing, it can be a little crazy and off putting.

alien9113 and Obito like this.
  8. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Very well put. Sometimes I can read a very good deceptive shot better than shots of low level players with their completely different preparation and rhythm.

9. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    This happens to me when I play people with training but below my level. I can play "lazy" and still win easily so if I play higher levels immediately after a few games with lower levels I'm still playing lazy and bomb. I need my coach to yell at me a bit to snap me out of my lazy pattern.

10. Obito

Obito Regular Member

Totally agree. Most of the day at my club I try to avoid to play with lower level not that I hate to play with them, but it keep getting me "lazy" habit. Sometime It is very frustrated myself and ruin my day.

11. Slade

Slade Regular Member

Don't let a badminton game ruin your day.

dave010 likes this.