Lock out machine stringbed tightness

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Antxn, Sep 27, 2023.

1. Antxn

Antxn Regular Member

Hi, i was wondering what method and technique we can apply to increase stringbed tightness.

I use a lock out machine to string and the resultant tension and stringbed tightness is lower and softer as compared when using a constant pull machine.

Is it possible to replicate a similiar result without increasing tension to compensate for the lock out?

As of now i only crank twice on the cross strings and double pull the last 2 mains, first and last 2 crosses.

Any experts' advice is appreciated, thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

kakinami likes this.
  2. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Maybe you can try to prestrech the string? I don't know though

3. viver

viver Regular Member

First, I am by no means an expert in stringing.

I own a 30-year old, 2-point support stringing machine and string only mine and my wife's rackets and sometimes for close friends. I learnt some stringing techniques from my badminton coach by watching him stringing rackets and from the advice from the stringing experts here in this BC forum. Plus, you can also find information in Youtube as well.

I don't normally string over 25 lbs of tension as I am afraid that without the side supports it may cause damage to the rackets. I have a tension calibrator (a weight scale that can be purchased in Amazon or Alibaba) to measure the tension and I normally do before stringing to find out any discrepancies between the required tension and the pulling tension from my stringing machine. I check the clamps that they secure the strings properly.

I did experiment with different stringing methods such adding 2 lbs of tension for the Cross strings, same tension for Mains and Crosses and even tried using 1 piece stringing with 2 knots. I don't do the pre-stretching or double pulling, just a 1 quick pull with the crank. I feel the stringbed is firm - I have compared other people's rackets strung with tension over 25 lbs with mine at 22 lbs, and felt mine were firmer (one guy even mentioned that my racket strings felt tighter that his that was requested to be strung at 27 lbs).

I watched and learned the knotting technique from the experts here - I now use mostly the Gudgeon knot as explained by Kakinami (there is a video of him showing how to do it), a professional stringer and regular contributor here. I forgot the knotting methods that my coach first taught me, so from my limited experience my stringing jobs benefited quite a bid from a better knotting technique at the end of the stringing jobs resulting less tension loss.

I string my rackets from time to time, need improve my skills with the weaving of the cross strings and with the shared holes. I take my time to do the task, normally over 1H and also trying to enjoy and learn from every stringing opportunity.

Hope this helps a bit.

kakinami likes this.
  4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Long story short - no, it isn't. Going with the same tension, the lockout job will always end up softer than the constant pull one.

What you can do to minimize the difference (given that tensioner is calibrated and the clamps are not slipping):
    - multiple pulling on each string
    - be quick with clamping (less time for the string to lose tension)
    - increase the tension (obviously...)

But that's about it.

kakinami likes this.
  5. Antxn

Antxn Regular Member

Alright, i just strung a ti 10 with aerobite and Windstorm 72 with BG80 24lbs. I decided to increase the tension by another 10%. Gonna test it tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

6. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

When I had a Prince Neos 1000, I would try as @s_mair would do to clamp as quickly as possible. When I would feel like the spring would release I would slow down on my pull to try and stretch the string a little bit longer. Back in the day they would add 10% to the cross to help get a more oval shape rather than a round head shape, some people still do today, I personally string straight, 25 mains 25 crosses, unless customer requests, but I believe most stringers still do this.
    So I think my best advice would be to pull slower before spring releases and try to clamp as efficiently as possible. Always try to be consistent. Good ruck!!!

Sent from my SC-01L using Tapatalk