Lin Dan returns to winning ways, sad exit for Camilla

Discussion in 'Dutch Open / Denmark Open / German Open 2004' started by ants, Oct 11, 2004.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar

AARHUS: China's Lin Dan got back on the winning track after a disastrous first round defeat in the Athens Olympics with victory in the Danish Open here on Sunday.

But it was a sad end to the playing career of home favourite Camilla Martin.

Lin Dan, who will turn 21 years old on Thursday, defeated compatriot Xia Xuanze 15-12, 15-11 in the final to retain the men's singles title.

In the semi-finals, the top seeded Lin Dan was given a walkover by Denmark's Anders Boesen while Xuanze defeated second seeded Dane Peter Gade-Christensen 15-12, 15-13.

“I am satisfied with my victory today. I was very disappointed after the Olympics but I went right back to training and try to forget about it and moved on,†said Lin Dan.

“My next target is to help China win back the Sudirman Cup (in Beijing from May 10-15) next year.â€

(China lost the world mixed team event to South Korea last year).

Lin Dan added: “After the Sudirman Cup, I will concentrate on the World Championships (Aug 15-21 in the United States). Of course, in the back of my mind is to do well in the Beijing Olympics in four years' time.â€

China's Xie Xingfang dashed Martin's hope of ending her 15-year badminton career on a winning note. The 23-year-old Xingfang defeated Martin 11-9, 11-0 in the semi-finals.

And the world number 10 went on to beat Holland's Yao Jie 11-9, 8-11, 11-7 to bag the women's singles title.

FINAL RESULTS

Men's singles: Lin Dan (Chn) bt Xia Xuanze (Chn) 15-12, 15-11.

Men's doubles: Jonas Rasmussen-Lars Paaske (Den) bt Markis Kidho-Hendra Setiawan (Ina) 15-6, 15-13.

Women's singles: Xie Xingfang (Chn) bt Yao Jie (Ned) 11-9, 8-11, 11-7.

Women's doubles: Wei Yili-Zhao Tingting (Chn) bt Zhang Dan-Zhang Yawen (Chn) 15-13, 12-15, 15-7.

Mixed doubles: Chen Qiqiu-Zhao Tingting (Chn) bt Nathan Robertson-Gail Emms (Eng) 15-4, 15-11.

2. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    It's definitely great to see Lin Dan back in ownage mode, and even better to see Big Brother Xia on top of his game as well. I was rooting for Xia in the final though as I was hoping his victory would add more pain and regret to LYB for not choosing him this year.

Either way, good job to both men. Now Lin and Xie have something to celebrate when they go out!!

3. chinadoll

chinadoll Regular Member

yah.... the Lin Dan is back after the defeat from Olympics.... it's really GREAT to see him back on form......
    i'm also very glad that Xuanze did not give up his badminton career after being left out by his coaches to Athens, in return, he played really well this tourney....
    i thought he could win Lin Dan this time, but it's been quite an advantage that Lin Dan enjoy 2 walkover consecutively, whereas Xuanze had really tough matches to the final.....
    Lin Dan's stamina is better than Xuanze, and can see that Xuanze was quite tired towards the 2nd game already......
    hence i guess things are more favourable on Lin Dan's side
    not forgetting to add that his gf victory can motivate him as well :p

4. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

gf? do you xie? are she and lin dan going out? :eek:

5. - 73* -

- 73* - Regular Member

6. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    You will find thousands of threads on this subject if you take time to search a bit... well, "thousands" is maybe exagerated :rolleyes: but there have been lots! :cool:

7. silvia

silvia Regular Member

i am happy to see lindan winning again, but i am even happier to see xuanze playing good badminton again............its unfortunate that he lost to lindan in the final, skills wise, i dont think xuanze is lousier than lindan, just that lindan have more advantage in terms of stamina, as he didnt need to complete his last 2 matches.......nevertheless, i hope xuanze can win china open in nov.......yeah..... :)

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Hope this golden couple will not have the same ending thats of Camilla and Gade.

9. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

What happened in the second game, was Martin injured, or did she just give up??

#9 jcl49, Oct 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2004
  10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  11. laughable c.

laughable c. Regular Member

to burn a hole(s) in my seat - more difficult than
    no, she was just thoroughly lacking in stamina, the 2nd game onwards.

12. peace

peace Regular Member

Lin Dan Won !!!!

I am happy that Lin dan won his title on the last Denmark Open 2004....wow...great...he can recover himself after lost in olympics.....hopefully he can always win the next tournament he participate.....come on...my vote goes to you LIN DAN.....Jia you!!!!

Sorry for Camilla, maybe she is a bit too old now, but anyway she is also a good player in this world...

Congartulations for Xie Xingfang!! Ao, that was great that LIN DAN and XI XINGFANG won the tournament at the same time......nice and amazing....!!!!
    Both of you should be able to get the Sudirman Cup again next year in Beijing!!! Wo Ai Zhong Guo!!!!

13. laughable c.

laughable c. Regular Member

to burn a hole(s) in my seat - more difficult than
    Wo Ai Zhong Guo too.

14. chinadoll

chinadoll Regular Member

yeah~ i'm a chinese players supporter too :D