Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Nah, but I'm always hoping my opponent(s) are going to play me high in my long forehand, because as soon as they do I China jump and stick smash down the line.

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

That's what the man, the myth, the Ouseph and LD had to say after the match:

3. visor

visor Regular Member

If you've got the height and your opponent is biased to the rear ready to defend a strong smash, a steep stick smash is a very good attack shot. It forces the defender to reach low and require more energy for him to generate a good return.

4. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

I don't think a stick smash generates anywhere near the angle of a jump smash.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Definitely element of surprise. Has to be used smartly, as I said when your opponent's base is rear biased. Way better, for example, full body jump smash wildly straight onto an opponent's waiting racket...

6. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

It honestly works only when the opponent is off balance one side or another, and can't change direction quickly enough. That's how Lin Dan usually plays the stick smash. Being farther back doesn't change much unless the opponent's footwork is quite bad.

Why would anyone smash straight at the opponent's feet in singles is confusing me though...

7. visor

visor Regular Member

It's just another variation to use I terms of power and angle. And it still keeps the shuttle going down when you're in no position to full smash. Additionally there's also a jump stick smash...

8. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

It's not really possible to jump nearly as high with a stick smash, or perhaps I haven't seen it yet. Hong Wei for example has a remarkably high vertical jump. Anyways, jumping too high with a stick smash defeats it's element of surprise, so it's a tough compromise.

In singles, you don't want to play too many smash shots while you are out of position (to jump smash), even by a little. A good defender can place the shuttle far away and retrieving that will be difficult.

9. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    The Ouseph seems like a rather humble and nice person in that post match interview.

Enjoyed the match a lot. The third game uptill 20-11 was pure bliss to watch.

10. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    Lin Dan better win this thing now...

11. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Ah, Bastard....You won't win always. Now, time to prioritize family and Baby Xiao Yu.
    There will be no complaints if you sail into sunset with a smile coz we have been entertained for the eternity.

135618773_11n.jpg

Abu Tanki and dave010 like this.
  12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If Lin Dan doesn't retire next year, we should expect to see him at the Nanjing WC on home soil.

13. Nine Tailed Fox

A Complete Circle.

Lin Dan's first ever medal in Major Individual Tournaments was a Silver in Anaheim, 12 years ago

12 Years after, he may have won his last Major Medal which is a Silver

DIQK_zUUwAAZnwo.jpg

14. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

LD's performance at the WC was solid. It was good enough to place him right back in the top echelon in MS. I assume that he will continue at least for the NanJing WC. Tokyo will be a stretch, especially now that Viktor Axelsen has emerged as the new king and surely will get even better through the Tokyo Olympics.

Abu Tanki and dave010 like this.
  15. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

I feel like LD was quite a bit less consistent than he usually is, especially with the lifts. Had LD lifted consistently high and deep, I doubt Viktor would be able to win nearly as many points (plus the points for lifting long, which LD gave away).

16. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

You are right. But considering his age, this is pretty much the best LD can do now.

After the match, LD was lamenting about not able to close the first game. The old LD would have so many weapons to get out of a jam to worry about a lost opportunity.

17. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

I think this is the point where LD realizes that he is no longer that young... must be really sad for him.

18. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    he has said he is aware of his age, but from what i saw it looks like he still loves playing the big tournaments. looked like he was having fun.

Abu Tanki and swsh like this.
  19. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    He tried with the lifts. Some went out, so you adjusted and it was short. It's tough to always get the right length.

20. Nine Tailed Fox

Lin Dan (林丹) : We had a extremely high standard of Badminton in the first set. But I didn't play well the crucial point when I reached Game Point. If I had converted the game point,I would have been more stable in the second game and the pressure would have drifted on Viktor's side, hence why there was a desperation to convert it.

I think I have never avoided talking about my age. Let's be honest, I am 34 this year and the next year I will be 35. I think it's a record for a player aged 34 to reach World Championships Men's Singles Final. I wonder if all of the current MS players would be able to reach World Championships Final when they will reach 34/35.

There's not much time to ponder over the defeat. I'll fly back to China tomorrow and start to prepare for National Games of China the day after tomorrow. National Games have already started and I have no excuse. I'll try my best to adjust and get myself into proper preparation for this. I understand that National Games is very important to every province because it is held once every four years. After National Games, it will be Japan Open. The schedule is tight and I really need to work very hard.

[​IMG]

P.S : Lin Dan is holding Champion's Cup given mistakenly to him :D

Abu Tanki and Justin L like this.