Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah, but the factor that changes most as you age is the physicality. Older players actually tend to play smarter and more relaxed and handle pressure situations better, so on the mental side they get better.
    And theres no question that Badminton is more demanding in certain aspects, specifically explosive movement, which degrades earlier than endurance and strength.

2. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Strength usually gains until later in life, and that statement at the end is very true just look at the age of the tour de france cyclists most late 20's to 40 and 1st place this year a thirty year old 3rd place 35 year old. That sport is all about strength and endurance and little else.

3. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    Slightly off topic, but not really.

BWF has posted their video of the, not-so-recent, Legend's Vision in Denmark.
    They had two interesting slow motions of LD.

Firstly:
    https://youtu.be/xyHJy2ZMkWo?t=89
    A reverse slice straight drop. Pretty common, but looks like perfection with minimal effort from Lin Dan.

Secondly:
    https://youtu.be/xyHJy2ZMkWo?t=121

Lin Dan's barely legal serve.

4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Every time I see a part of Legend's Vision I get angry that there is no good quality, full length video.
    (talking about promoting the sport...)

5. racketman123

Dentist in training...
    The full videos usually follow shortly :)

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I haven't seen any of the Legends Vision videos in acceptable quality AND full length at the same time. :p

7. racketman123

Dentist in training...
    That is true.
    All recorded on potatoes by the looks of things.

8. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Rarely tennis players perform well after 32

9. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

[MENTION=102521]Rob3rt[/MENTION]......

Is it Bao Yixin along side Lin Dan?????

[video=youtube;rM3Y6AY2iXg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM3Y6AY2iXg[/video]

10. Vishnu

Vishnu Regular Member

Auditor
    Unknown Opponents... Strange Remark. Vicktor Axelsen World Nos 7, HS Prannoy World Nos 16. Strange to call them unknown.. Tekkai, Ignorance is Bliss

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Prannoy is pretty much an unknown to me. Has he won anything notable? I wasnt aware he was ranked that high...

12. Vishnu

Vishnu Regular Member

Auditor
    Ignorance is Bliss.. I cant do anything about it.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It's Yao Xue. The one in the middle looks like Huang Yaqiong.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I ask you a question and thats your answer? Wow. You seem so wise. Not.
    I mean I have seen Prannoy play once, but apart from his annoying screams there was nothing noteworthy about that particular match.

FYI, if you adopted a different attitude (instead of the high-and-mighty 'ignorance is bliss' stuff), we might actually develop an interest in this player as we learn sth about him...as it is, he'll remain a run-of-the-mill Indian player to me, just like any of the 100 others. Not worth paying attention to.

15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Oh yeah completely there is still fast twitch and other things that tennis has over cycling but not in the abundance of badminton. Imo due to the nature of what is involved physically it should be easier to go longer in tennis than badminton.

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Also in Tennis the service, which is so important, doesnt degrade noticeably until VERY late - and even then, a talented player (unlike Rafa) can adapt and change it up to a more spin based serve rather than all-out power. Look at Roger, one of the best technical serves, big variety, excellent technique. And for a player on the slight side of things, he has pretty decent power too...

17. Vishnu

Vishnu Regular Member

Auditor
    ""Prannoy is pretty much an unknown to me. Has he won anything notable? I wasnt aware he was ranked that high""...
    He has not done anything notable and how come he managed to reach World Nos 16 position?? To name a few of his achievement.
    1.Defeated Jan o Jorgensen 3 times when he was ranked world nos 2.
    2. Defeated Lin Dan considered to be one of the greatest badminton player ever to have played the game.
    3. Defeated Taufik Hidyat who was considered to be a Badminton Great (like LCW & LD)

If the above performance are not noteworty then what else shall I add. I am not claiming to be wise or super intelligent but if you are not aware about a player please check on the internet to get the profile. Wikipedia will throw out a whole lot of information. HS Prannoy is one of the top 5 Indian players and hopefully he would reach greater heights in future maybe one day he would emerge like Viktor Axelsen and take the world of Badminton by storm. My apologies for using Ignorance is Bliss.. maybe ill timed and came out of frustration.

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I was asking an honest question. I hadnt seen his name pop up a whole lot, and with exception of one match, had never seen him play. While I would dare say beating Taufik after 2012 wasnt a really notable achievement for any pro, I hadnt implied that Prannoy was without potential or that he hadnt achieved anything.
    So, to clarify, he hasnt won a Super Series tournament. Thats what I was going after, because while I was surprised to have missed him ranking that high, I wouldve been shocked to have missed a SS winner.
    Anyhow, until I see more of him, I will refrain from forming an opinion of him. He already has to overcome that annoying first impression I got, high expectations wouldnt help :D

19. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Navratilova retired at 49. Paes, Nestor and Date Krumm are active and kicking arse at 42, 43, 45 respectively. Billie Jean, Court, Wade, Rosewall, Newcombe, McEnroe, Bjorkman played past 40.
    Federer, Ferrer, Serena, Penetta, Hingis, Bryan twins, Melo, Tecau, Roger are all 32+ currenttop tenners. And Venus and Vinci arent quite far down the rankings either.

20. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    He won the Indonesia Masters GPG last fall, his biggest victory till date and was a consistent presence in SS/SSP QFs/SFs in the first half of the year till he injured himself before Sudirman Cup and his ranking tumbled to 16 from 11 IIRC. He is not a natural badminton player, built like a wrestler/shot putter; but seemingly works like a beast and it shows in his results/performances.