Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
  2. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    LD the best payer in the Universe - move aside Avengers, Superman and all.

3. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

Another long break from him? How would he help to promote badminton if he keeps taking a break? Really want to watch him playing badminton.

4. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    LD has been kicked out the national team for a while. It's not just his intention to be with his family. This is so simple and obviously.

That's the reason he cannot play international tournaments, simply because he's been kicked out the national team.

See who always participates in the international tournaments? They are constantly: Chen Long, Du Pengyu, Wang Zhengming, Gao Huan and Chen Yuekun. Why? Because they are the only national team members!

Guo Huan and Chen Yuekun have never been the best top 5 in China ever.

Now let's talk about why LD has been kicked out of the national team.

The biggest money for Chinese playing badminton is NOT the prize money. What's the reason Indian wondering why Chinese players scoffing at their 1 million dollar IBL.

The most 2 important money for Chinese players are government funding and company sponsorship. Li YB, the manger for national team, has been always controlling all the commercial incomes. Then he distributes the money as he likes.

Lin Dan and other players, all have to obey this. But as the most successful player, and super star, LD is the most important in commercial ads, therefore he cannot stand to let LYB dictating the money. So he began to accept company's commercial ads independently. So they finally broke up, LD kicked out the national team.

But this is the thing neither LYB nor LD want to mention in public. LD cannot go back to the national team until they can compromise secretly.

#4024 2cents, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    but i thought LYB and CBA gets a slice of whatever LD makes commercially. no?

6. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    yes, you are right, LYB and CBA still get their percentage. But LYB wants to himself the person to control all the money, and decide who get what percentage.

7. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one

So, it is not true... Just a speculation.. Any article about their interviews about the same??

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks,2cents, for your inside scoop. Personally, I loathe to see such things happening, that is players and coaches falling out with each other for whatever reasons. They should quickly work things out, compromise and find a solution. Open-hearted communication and sincerity is key.

Without knowing the details, on the surface I can only say as Lin Dan isn't a fully independent professional player, he is expected to abide by the originally agreed upon arrangement and share commercial income distribution according to CBA guidelines (unless LYB is taking more than his fair share).

I trust LYB and LD's special and close relationship as teacher-disciple, mentor-student(protege), almost like 'father-son', should enable them to settle their differences and misunderstandings amicably and with mutually beneficial outcome, the sooner the better.

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    arent we should keep this as secret too?:p

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Sure. That's certainly the way it is. Do you ever post sth that's not 100% unproven? If LD wanted to play, he'd play. Simple. If the Chinese didn't want him to play, they never would've applied for his wild card. Your theory isn't even thought through well...

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Why do you believe him at all?? I mean LD is probably the most influential athlete in the whole of China. Would he really just keep quiet if he had a real disagreement with LYB? Personally I don't think so. I tend to agree with the theory that after winning everything, his desire to compete might have dropped a little, and that is a dangerous thing when your training requires you to be 100% motivated to push yourself to the limit every day...

12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Sun Yang (the Chinese swimmer) had a spat with his coach. Sun spent too much time with his girlfriend and at commercial activities. He didn't spend much time on practising.

And guess what, his coach banned him from taking part in commercial activities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Yang#Personal_Life

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

So....? He can hardly compare to LD's status, and there were no reports whatsoever indicating LD slacked off during training. He took his time off, but once he got back to training, he dedicated himself to it like he used to. That another athlete had a disagreement with his coach proves nothing, that is got publicized even emphasizes my point: that a serious disagreement between LD and LYB, and booting LD out of the Ntl team, would not stay secret.
    If you follow more of 2cents' posts you'll see there's quite a few that may seem like some sort of inside scoop but are actually just hypotheses based on nothing but outside observation, often being far from the truth.
    I, for one, don't buy that LD got kicked out of the team. If he really wanted to play, he'd play. If all else fails, for another Nation such as HKG (always looking to 'import' successful athletes ;)).
    I tend to believe he is questioning whether he should continue to play or not. While he has taken the World title yet again, there's no doubt he is unable to play the same style he used to, not being able to reproduce the sort of speed and explosiveness that brought him his first OG title. And maybe he wants to go out with a success, other than PG and TH whose standards had dropped considerably from their best before they retired (that is no critique to Peter, he was clearly giving everything until the very end, but age doesn't stop for anyone, not even him ;)).

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    LD's status is below that of Sun Yang. Sun Yang is better known in China and he makes more money than LD.

I also do not think LD got kicked out of the national team. Both LD and LYB need one another. The whole team depends on LD's earnings (ie, commercial activities).

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The reason why Sun Yang is more famous and makes more money than Lin Dan is because he breaks into a sport long dominated by Westerners unlike badminton. Don't forget last year or before that it was Lin Dan who won the Sportsman of the Year award in China.

I too hope what 2cents sort of exposed is pure speculation. Let's wait and see. Maybe it's not that serious even if true and would blow over soon.

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Li Na is the most famous athlete from China.

http://www.forbeschina.com/review/list/002055.shtml

Maybe LD wants to go independent like Taufik and Li Na.

#4036 pcll99, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Latest update: Lin Dan formally declares he will play until Rio Olympics and is in the process of developing training programs http://sports.qq.com/a/20130916/016819.htm

The article concluded by saying Lin Dan is aiming for triple Olympic golds !

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I hope the author/reporter did not misrepresent his intention of aiming for triple gold because the last sentence in the article isn't a quotation of Lin Dan's exact words. As we've known previously when Lin Dan said he would play until Rio, it didn't necessarily include the Olympics. Anyway, I'd just take the article as is for the time being.

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Given Chen Long's performance of late, I would not be surprised if LD plays till Rio.

20. jkkwongnz

jkkwongnz Regular Member

doctor
    I think there are multiple reasons.

1. He would like to enjoy his life besides badminton, especially spending with family.

2. He would like to continue playing badminton but he is only interested in playing big tournaments, namely Thomas cups and Asian games next year, Rio olympics 2016. I am not sure about world championship next year as he needs enough points to qualify. I would be surprised if he is given another wild card next year.

3. He is getting older and he have to look after himself by avoiding injury so that I can be at the best condition when it is matter.

4. He is not allowed to play superseries which is a shame of the system which means he can't accumulate points fast and hence have to play a lot of smaller tournaments. If he would like to enjoy his life outside badminton this period of time is the time to do it. I have a feeling that he may give up world championship next year and start working hard to accumulate points in 2015.

5. If there is a conflict between LYB and LD, it would be about coaching the younger player. LYB want him to coach but LD shows no interest to ba coach at least at this point.