Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. fauci

fauci Regular Member

I don't see unfair or biased comments from LYB in the videos. If you don't understand, don't pretend.

2. fauci

fauci Regular Member

It's up to how people value the world titles. Some say the All England is so prestigious that it should also be counted as a world title. Then LD has even more. The main point from LD is not how many titles he has but the next one will never be easy even though he has had many already.

3. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lin_Dan

count them yourself

4. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    He could have won three more All England titles had he never allowed himself to be dictated by team orders.

The only which i cannot comprehend his loss to Park Sung Hwan was the one in Paris 2010. What was actually going thru his mind to lose 21-13 21-13?

Not too long ago, he was playing superbly in the Thomas Cup and then followed by that defeat...I still cannot understand. Did he lose on purpose ?

5. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
    Lin Dan, talk less do more :)

6. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Take the Malaysian open in 2006 for instance, rubber game with Chong Wei with 8 match point he could not get it done :D

I doubt that is team order even I believe some of his matches are controlled by infamous li yong Bo and cba :)

7. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    That one is understandable..Lin Dan was way cocky back then and wished to finish off Lee Chong Wei with a superb shot because he had done so in the Thomas Cup qualifiers

He got too overconfident and lost focus in that game. Lee Chong Wei clawed his way back into the game and that's when Lin Dan got too nervous.

8. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I was depending on bad s fan s comments. So maybe your interpretation is better. How about proving it by giving us a full translation?

9. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

On a sidenote, is he still using the N90 or has he switched to something else now?

10. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

11. AirStyles

AirStyles Regular Member

Student
    I'll translate the videos

I'll translate the videos ^_^

The first video is about Lin Dan's mentality and what he gained from military lifestyle (He live military life twice) He said because he been through military, he picked up his determinatioin/will for the game.
    LYB commented that LD and LCW are without question, the 2 outstanding players in today's badminton, tactically, they're even, technically both are exceptioinal, and their attitude toward training are definitely as healthy as the other. He went on and say with all those, LD's only advantage is "core elements"

which is, the training he's given is much more scientifically advance, effective. And he apply the things he learn much better/logical, as well as his sense of duty for the country

LD stated he's above LCW, because in his opinion, LCW is the greatest player today. And for others to say "LD can beat LCW just like last olympic" is not... realistic. Looking back, he still think the game could went either way. And that back then, he's was okay with whatever result that may turn out.

LYB continue to state that because LD have all those invaluable "championship winner" experience, he is able to use it against LCW, LCW was suffocating under his experience. It's very hard for LCW to break through that.

He restated that LCW and LD are equal both tactically and technically. However, because of the quality(more advance/scientific) of training LD has received, he's starting to pull it away in their twilight years, and as of late, it's been more and more obvious that LD's more "advance" training have played it's part.

LD went on and state that while he's competing with others, he continue to compete with himself, he'll ask himself whether he can his 16th title and surpass himself. Instead of comparing with other players, he prefer to compare/compete with himself, as he want the past 15 titles to hold it's value. (If he is to only care about beating LCW again, it'll feel like all his past 15 titles are worthless, so he think it's healthier to compete with himself, challenging himself.)

Video 2
    LD talk about growing up with badminton.
    "It's easy back when I was little" he says, "the joy of learning some new techniques or beating an opponent you normally can't beat, the joy that it brings you... It's something very obvious, something you can't help but notice"

But right now, where there's too many people caring about your failure and success, it's like... He's responsible for every fans out there. At times like this, he feel that he's more... affected, not in control, it'll feel harder. As it piles on, it's harder to find the simple happiness badminton brings him.

LYB
    He said that if it's 5 years ago, he would set task for LD, what he must do, what he must achieve, and that he must face every tournament and competition, but for today, he only ask LD to be logical about what he do, if LD have a decision of his own, (such as to skip tournament) he'd understand. Because afterall, he should no longer treat LD like a youngster, because LD is already a great player. However, there are people who "pick bones from egg" (Chinese metophor for "deliberately pose trouble for") Lin Dan, and that is something he can't prevent. (Basically he's stating that some people are demanding too much form LD, and it's out of his control. He might be refering to the media that criticizes LD for pulling out/skipping tournaments, or my suspicion... the higher ups are demanding more from LD) He said he understood LD, LD is a responsible man, and one with a mind of his own. (Basically saying LD is his own character)

LD
    He said that he wish one day, he can be like Li Na of Tennis, be a player that only plays for himself. However, he know that it's not that simple for him. He feels that, only playing for one self, can one truly enjoy the sport and the joy it brings. Otherwise you'd just be a pawn that's playing for your countries pride. He believe, a relax/in control player can perform the best. He feels that by having all those pressure of playing for something other than one self would cause one to walk slower and slower(metaphor)

Narrator
    having one's own Character, something that LD have. Is something that's very rare in "Country Organized" sport in China, many players have "wiped" their own character through their training and influence. LD is an exception. He always stay true to himself, even though sometimes this trait of his may bring him unwanted attention, such as the infamous Li Mao fight, and the several withdrawal from tournaments.

LD
    Even though there's a "basic rule" that badminton players are expected to follow, (such as join all SS tournaments or not pulling out as long as you're capable of playing) he feels that he shouldn't be oblige to follow them, because he want to live his life as a professional player, his way. (Such as, how long he's playing to play before retiring. Which mean, how he should pace himself. Or how many titles he's willing to get, and that he can retire when he feels that he's done.) He feels that, always playing by someone's rule/pace is not enjoyable. So these days, he plan his own things, communicate with his coaches, and if he is to retire, it'll be one that he's already planned and won't cause ripples.

Video 3
    Basically just him talking about how one should enjoy badminton without feeling pressure and have a burden of expectation. While many believe he can win London OG, he believe that true LD fans... True fans of BADMINTON who UNDERSTANDS the sport, wouldn't think that way.

Then he talks about after playing for so many years, the game have cease to be exciting. And that he no longer talk with his family and friends about badminton, the only exception will be his coaches... because.

Guys... this is a sad statement, prepare yourself.
    "Badminton is not fun"... It's no longer fun. And he wish to find something enjoyable out of it.
    He interrupts himself saying the fact that it's not fun won't affect his game, because for him, badminton is no longer number 1 for him. Family first.
    2012 OG, will be another great challenge to LD, adn quite possibly his last OG, however, for LD, it's just him picking up his racket, and stand in court, playing another tournament. It's just that. There's no joy, no excitement, just racket, court and work.(Sad really...)
    He feels that his family have sacrifice a lot for this OG, however, it's no longer a sacrifice that seem worth it, because it's not exactly something important to him anymore.
    LD said, "He is tired". Whether he did well in OG or not, don't matter, he's just tired.
    In conclusion, he just want to be a normal person.

DONE!
    My thoughts.
    1st. LD is trying to promote "Professional" badminton players. Like Tennis
    2nd. LD state that playing for a country is tiring.

I'm very sad to see that our champion no longer enjoy the sport as much as he did. And I really feel like a jerk for criticizing him for withdrawing from tournaments in the past. I hope LD can enjoy badminton again, and be true to himself always.
    I don't do this because it's stupid... but for this instance.
    *Salute to the great champion*

EDIT: Nice BGM (background music) toward the end of the 3rd video.
    Melodies of Life (Final Fantasy IX), I wonder if they got the permission to use it...

#2911 AirStyles, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  12. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Thanks for the translation, airstyles.

Olympic is around the corner,

to me it looks like li yong bo is sending this message to lcw,

refreshing his memory in last the olympic.

Li really knows how to control Lin Dan :D

#2912 pBmMalaysia, May 22, 2012
  13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Lin Dan feels that he shouldn't be oblige to follow the "basic rule"

Thank you for your translation, AirStyles. :):):)

It is true; Lin Dan is our best current player, and he will be remembered as one of our best players ever in our Badminton history.

However, when Lin Dan said: "Even though there's a "basic rule" that badminton players are expected to follow, (such as join all SS tournaments or not pulling out as long as you're capable of playing) he feels that he shouldn't be oblige to follow them, because he want to live his life as a professional player, his way".

I would like to say that Lin Dan is very lucky that CBA is looking after him, by allowing him to do whatever he likes.

Why do I say that? Because, if Lin Dan were to be like Li Na;
    * If not playing at tournaments, there will be no income.
    * If not playing at tournaments, his contract(s) with sponsors could be terminated.

In a way, Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei and many other current Badminton players are lucky when their National Associations are taking care of their income/finances.

In years to come, when Badminton players are going Professional, like I have started in this thread;

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/93949-Professional-Players-going-Professional

each player will need to work, as required by their sponsors, fans and worldwide TV coverage.

Yes, my opinion is influenced by other professional sports, in the likes of Professional Football, Basketball, Tennis, Golf, etc, etc......

So far, Badminton hasn't gone that way as yet (as I am making this post today).
    ;););)

#2913 chris-ccc, May 22, 2012
  14. AirStyles

AirStyles Regular Member

Student
    "LD stated he's above LCW"

Oh CRAP! How could I make such a mistake
    It should've been "LD stated he don't think he's above LCW"

Damn...

And for others to say "LD can beat LCW just like last Olympic" is not... realistic. Looking back(World champ 2011), he still think the finals could went either way. And that back then, he's was okay with whatever result that may turn out.

15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Thank you so much for the excellent work.

16. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

thanks for the translation. ;)

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

We all expected too much from Lin Dan,didn't we,forgetting he is human? He's sacrificed and dedicated the greater part of his life to badminton and country,in the process practically neglecting his personal and family life. He's given so much to the sport ,just like all the other great badminton players and professionals,we should feel gratitude for him and understand and accept him for what he is,warts and all. He belongs to the badminton world just as much as he belongs to his near and dear ones who needed him as much as we do. Most of all,he is his own man,he has his life to lead,his dreams and aspirations,his desire to just be himself and do something different to make his life more balanced and complete. Badminton is his life but his life isn't only badminton.

Here's wishing him happiness,health and all the best in his future endeavours !

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks fauci for posting the videos and AirStyles for the translation.

After watching the videos, I have reason to believe this London OG might be his swansong whatever the outcome. After the OG,he would probably take a break,slow down and take part in fewer tournaments,mostly answering the call of duty, at most. Expect a different Lin Dan,for better or for worse. But that's alright,thanks to him,all these years we've enjoyed and benefited from his wonderful badminton and all the joys,excitements and thrills that it brings.

To me,he is always The or One of The Greatest Ever !

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The videos also revealed Lin Dan's and Li Yongbo's great respect for Lee Chong Wei which is as it should be. In my humble opinion,as I've always said,Lin Dan and Lee CW needed each other to bring out their very best. Indeed, allow me to say we are fortunate to be living in their era, and to a lesser extent Taufik Hidayat and Peter Gade's too.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

When the great Bjorn Borg,the tennis legend,suddenly announced his retirement at the young age of 26 citing "loss of motivation" as the reason ( I happened to see his TV clip, not knowing much about him), I won't be surprised Lin Dan at 28 will be that much different, esp as he has said he is tired and now placed his family first. When the man says enough is enough, I don't supposed anything in the world can change him. When that day comes,it will be hard for me to accept but still have to respect his wish and live with it;he will be sorely missed for sure.