Light vs Heavy vs Balance point

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by shararti81, Jun 13, 2016.

1. shararti81

shararti81 Regular Member

Dear All,

I wanted to know about the impact of racket weight. i.e.

for same string tension and flex and balance point, will a racket be more maneuverable/less powerfull if light weight compared to a heavy racket ?

#1 shararti81, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes.

shararti81 and Techno like this.
  3. foo.tw

foo.tw Regular Member

what affets is the weight of head.
    that is to say, balance x total weight decides the performance.
    a head heavy 3u racket will have similar performance like an even balanced 2U racket.

shararti81 likes this.
  4. shararti81

Guys, I have been playing on and off recreationaly for more than 6 years ( never been coached), since last year taking a little seriously, i practice footwork and i can do basic shots reasonably. I use BS12L for doubles (bg80 23lb) and VT-7 (bg65 22lb) for singles, TIW5000(nbg98-22lb) is backup for both singles and doubles rackets.
    Now that i am a little better I started playing (or they have) with people who are far experienced (some even 20+ years) at my uni court. After causing a few upsets, they have changed their strategy and now apply strategy of locking me down at my backhand using attacking clears until I am worn out.
    I have to use many overhead punch clears and I found my VT7 a tad slow. I use now TIW5000 ( same flexibility but more even/headlight balance).
    The only way out I found is to either smash ( their returns are more flatter so recovery is easy) or cross court drop.
    I was thinking of getting a head heavier racket to add substance to my smashes and easier clears. But since i even find vt7 slow for smashes/drives ( i guess nothing is faster than bs12), a headheavier wont do any good to me.

So my ultimate solution seems to be a 4u racket like LF7400 or Lining windstorm 300 (lighter weight should give me swing speed and head weight power ..simple :p) no I dont get to try any.

Another thing i found was that 3 weeks ago my string broke bs12 and I had it restrung at 27 lb bg65 (intimidated by those high tension players). It felt so crisp and amazing..my smashes improved, corners, clears, even my backhand clears were better and so much control, eventually it felt a more easy racket. but after 2 days the feeling was gone.

Could you guys suggest how I should improve..is a light headheavy racket going to help? and why higher tension felt much easy and why feeling was gone in 2 days?

5. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Personally I think you shouldn't have an issue with your bravesword from the back court, but I agree that a 4u head heavy racquet might be better. Just keep in mind that if their strategy is to clear to you, then intercept it and cut it off and take the offensive. Even attacking clears can be attacked back. But everybody has a different mindset, maybe you're naturally more defensive than me.

The first questions were pretty subjective, but the last one is objective so I can answer that for you. What you experience with your strings was them losing tension and therefore losing feeling. Bg65 is especially notorious for very quickly losing tension even when it's not being played with. You had it strung at 27 so assuming you played a day or so after, you were probably using strings around 25 lbs when they felt so crisp and then after a couple sessions they dropped down around 23 lbs when you felt they weren't giving you the same crispness. That can be remedied by other stringing higher next time so that when they settle more permanently it's around the 25 lbs you liked so much. Or you could switch to another string with better tension retention. (Not hard to find. Most high performance strings would be better IMO)

shararti81 likes this.
  6. shararti81

Thanks for the reply bro. I used it after like 6-7 hours after stringing. so next visit to stringer 27lb nbg98 :)

decoy likes this.
  7. shararti81

@decoy Hey Bro :) so an update. I got the racket strung at ~26.5lb Zymax 66 Fire power. Very nice string and a loud sound. Also the my BR12 now feels a lot more comfortable to handle and for some reason I am attacking a lot (I never smash until there's a kill). May be the popping sound is motivating me :p.
    I finally won against Arcnemesis#7 :the one with super fast feet. As per advice tried attacking more and totally avoided the drops (his netspin is super). Even with half power smash his returns were slightly farther in court giving me enough time to reach them comfortably.

Also when do you split step?. Currently my splits are totally un sysnc. Doing multiple split steps as work around hoping one day they will sync them selves.

8. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Should split step as your opponent is hitting the shuttle. You don't have to do an exaggerated hop, if you watch the pros they kinda just drop their bodyweight at the moment before they move, but exaggerating it does help to learn it. IMO