Light Racquets vs Head Heavy Racquets

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by AznDude, Oct 16, 2006.

1. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

This is not doing physics. Your are doing marketing - Yonex nanospeed marketing to be precise.

If you increased the speed but reduced the mass, you would have gained nothing. On the other hand, if you increased the speed but maintained the existing mass, you would have gained something. Alternatively, if you increased the mass and maintained the existing speed, again, you would have gained something. Better yet, if you increased the speed and mass at the same time, you would have gained so much that you would wonder if you have been hit by a freight train.

When it comes to momemtum, speed and mass are you best friends. Reduce either and you have lesser friends.

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

who said nanospeed? did I? slowness of mass is definatly physics...you emantioned yonex...:rolleyes:
    If you increase speed by lowering mass you migth very well gain something. because everybody's muscles work different. decreasing weight by 10% doesn't nescacerilly increase speed by 10% and visa versa: because everybody's muscles work different. (entering the fast/slow twitch territory here..) some can swing 10% faster with 5% less weight. same for other people who smasg 20% harder with a 10% weight increase...

so wait a minute. if you decrease mass speed increase by just as much and you gain nothing. but increasing mass doesn't decrease speed? the only way to swing faster with the same weight is to swing harder...wich isn't up to a racket...if you make it headlighter, but just as heavy the swingweight changes, and all momentum calculations are back to the drawing board

increasing speed and mass at the same time, how is that physcially possible? "I can swing a 2lbs weight above my head, but with a 5lbs one I swing faster?"...now you're mixing it all up...I know you mean making a racket heavier and headlighter, but then you're talkign swingweight terms...wich is a different cookie...

#22 jerby, Oct 23, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  3. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Ok, I agree. Eating a cookie a certain number of minutes before you need to swing the racket will enhance your strength, therefore increasing speed, leading to increased momentum and badminton power. :)

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

...darn..now the fun is gone:p ;) ....I knew it were the cookies...

5. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Yes, I just realised that annhilating the opposition in my yesterday's inter-club league match 15/9, 15/8, 17/15, 15/3, 15/12, 15/1 was the result of my eating buiscuits, cakes, mars bars, cucumbers, tomatoes between games, and has nothing to do with my maximum momemtum racket.

6. IvanM

IvanM Regular Member

shall we assume the stiffness and the tension of the racket are the same
    and we can make a independent judgement....

7. tomblos007

tomblos007 Regular Member

where is fire fighter when we needed ?

8. ggagnon

ggagnon Regular Member

Engineer
    Assuming the same applied force, A heavy racquet accelerates slower than a light racquet, but due to the law of conservation of momentum, the speed of the shuttlecock would be the same. However, if tension is different on the strings of both racquet, the result will be different according to the equation of impulse I=F.deltaT=m. deltaV. As a result a raquet with a lower tension will result in a faster shuttlecock speed because the impact duration is longer than a higher tension racquet.

Unfortunately, the assumption that the same force is applied on both racquet may be wrong. Someone having a heavy racquet may compensate subconsciously by applying more force than that of a light racquet.

Personally, i like acceleration better, because if you can't get the racquet in the correct position on time, who cares if you have power because you would have missed the shot anyways.

I find a light racquet more suitable for backhand shot because the backhand is often a weak shot. The acceleration can make a difference because you can get shots that you would have trouble getting if you would have a heavy racquet... i'm refering to the shots that you have to stretch with your backhand.

Once you have mastered the basic techniques, power is often not a problem and speed becomes more more important... especially if you want to flick your wrist in a different direction in the last second to trick your opponent.

9. ggagnon

ggagnon Regular Member

Engineer
    heavy vs light racquet

Assuming the same applied force, A heavy racquet accelerates slower than a light racquet, but due to the law of conservation of momentum, the speed of the shuttlecock would be the same. However, if tension is different on the strings of both racquet, the result will be different according to the equation of impulse I=F.deltaT=m. deltaV. As a result a raquet with a lower tension will result in a faster shuttlecock speed because the impact duration is longer than a higher tension racquet.

Unfortunately, the assumption that the same force is applied on both racquet may be wrong. Someone having a heavy racquet may compensate subconsciously by applying more force than that of a light racquet.

Personally, i like acceleration better, because if you can't get the racquet in the correct position on time, who cares if you have power because you would have missed the shot anyways.

I find a light racquet more suitable for backhand shot because the backhand is often a weak shot. The acceleration can make a difference because you can get shots that you would have trouble getting if you would have a heavy racquet... i'm refering to the shots that you have to stretch with your backhand.

Once you have mastered the basic techniques, power is often not a problem and speed becomes more more important... especially if you want to flick your wrist in a different direction in the last second to trick your opponent.

10. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    i agree completely i get more power from NS9k type S then X and AT700 because i can flex the shaft more, and also for the case of At700 i can swing ns9k faster.

11. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

hi ggagnon,

a good post is worth to be posted twice.

12. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

As are the laws of rotational motion.

13. foo.tw

foo.tw Regular Member

If the weight drop for 10%, U won't get 10% more speed for sure. And if the speed increase for 10%, U won't get 10% more power for sure. The relationship is not linear. Also, the relation will be different both for ppl and rackets. Just try different racket is the easiest way to find out the racket for you.

14. walkinghome

walkinghome Regular Member

Power. Heaviness.

I agree that playing with a racquet is the right way to guaging before buying.

That said, there are the obvious difficulties of what shop lets you try before you buy; or which club mate would really trust me with their racquet.

I say, the other way you can approach it then is to know yourself. For instance, I'm a small person and kinda uncoordinated :eek:. I know that I possess a relaxed swing motion. In my hands, I can pick up a **good quality** headlight racquet like NS8K and defend easily for starters, and everything else is easy when I am in position (i.e. the shuttle has not flown past me).

When I pick up a **good quality** head heavy racquet like Ti10 or AT500, I feel more confident any where on court, even when pushed to the corners. The little bit of heaviness helps me my timing. I don't feel it is heavy when playing.

Heaviness here is not that it is actually heavy (like good grief what! a bucket of concrete) it is just more mass in the head-area and in turn it yields more momentum. I'm just explaining how the hit feels to me, and hey Newton's laws confirm it too which is cool.

The concept of power for me is not explosive power. It is having enough power and in turn feeling confident. I tend not to get that feeling everywhere on court from a headlight racquet. The trade off is being slightly not as quick defending against big smashers but we're only slightly. Most the racquets nowadays are between 80-90g. In the end, the feeling of confidence you get is where the 10g is balanced on your racquet :D.

60% you need to study yourself; and 30% is spent researching the racquet. The last 10% is hopefully getting to try before you buy, for some practical experience of it. I hope my experience will help you. Spending that $100-$200 hard earned cash is both full of excitement and anxiety.

#34 walkinghome, Feb 24, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  15. virtualkidneys!

virtualkidneys! Regular Member

if you use a head heavy your going to get a lot less head speed, however if you can generate head speed then that is the racket for you.

16. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

Flexible ...

Would a flexible racket then help more to generate the head speed ?... Say a lightweight racket, flexible and head heavy. :confused:

17. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    For the most part yes. This is one of the reasons why the AT700 is such a popular racket. It offers a lightweight racket that is headheavy to provide the counter forced needed to flex the shaft producing high head speed.

18. fixingbones

fixingbones Regular Member

Surgeon

Absolutely brilliant sentence. Can tie anyone's brain up in knots!! Classic

19. Sunray7

Sunray7 Regular Member

so...... what i see here is to have a combination of
    Light-weight Racket with Head-heavy bias..... right??

For example, would the Victor TK Onigiri 5U racket be qualified as this ideal combo?

Or for any racket with weight of 5U with HH bias , right? :)

20. AniChatt

AniChatt New Member

Geologist
    Wow.....after reading this entire thread very carefully what I have realized is its a waste of time and I totally screwed:(. So guys since there are less people out there who will trust you to experiment with their head heavy or light racket so you have to be rich enough to buy those and test. If it suits you then you are lucky and venture more on that particular type.
    But if you are not that rich (like me:confused:) buy a decent balanced racket and get happily married with it and try to stay happy as long as you can.
    One good article I have found worth reading for this discussion: http://badminton-racket.blogspot.in/2008/07/badminton-rackets-and-injuries.html