Let's predict :)

Discussion in 'World Championships 2010' started by Thom_bad, Mar 24, 2010.

1. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    well, i can tell you otb is still trying to learn lin dan's game but he knows

he still got lcw's footwork and handwork stuck with him all these years

time to change, otb

stick with your heart!

2. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

No offence but I think you need to read up probability and statistics to grasp the concept regarding the chance to win a tournament better.

Hint:
    1) A result from one tournament doesn't translate itself into the overall probability/chance to win in a tournament. It only contributes to its statistic.(i.e. you need a big sample to deduce an overall probability to win a tournament, one single tournament result is meaningless.) By the way, do you have the data on the low seeds players you mentioned ? What makes you think they can't win? Just because they didn't have the luxury to compete because of poor funding from association?
    2) There's a big diffence between player with a high probability of winning a tournament and a player with a low probability of winning a tournament. Hence, the term "favourtie" was coined to described the player with high probability because they are more likely to win.
    3) Low probability does not equate ZERO chance, aibeit some of the figures can go very close to zero.
    4) You will only assign ZERO chance to a player when he is out of a tournament, because anything can happened between the tornament(i.e. The "favourites" got sicked and were forces to withdraw. The top seeds injured themselves when playing against lower seeds and were forced to withdraw. Lower seeds were on form, top seeds weren't. etc).
    5) Taking those factors into account, yes, you can never assign a zero chance to a player, even though he is not likely to win.

#162 lcleing, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  3. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

I think may be we should ask Octopus Paul to help us with the predictions... lolx

4. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Taufik did not win any Super Series which started from 2007.

5. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    this reminds me of ''additional maths'' in school...

6. kuwichert

kuwichert Regular Member

consultant
    nothing new, just another confirmation that it's time for a major now:eek: by the way - how many of the active MS players did ever win the worlds or Olympics??? :D:D:D
    guess that number will not change :confused: - so according the mission we have --- no need for any more words buddy:cool::cool:

7. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

Taufik Hidayat vs Lee Chong Wei in the Finals.

Taufik bags this;)!

8. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Your mission got confused:confused::D on one hand, you want to see CHN not dominating badminton, great, I am with you for the health of badminton. On the other hand you say you want to get the best players to the tournament...so your mission impossible, if you choose to accept:D:p would be to see CHN not get 3 golds or to expand CHN entries to WC because Lu Lan, defending WS champion, is out of CHN lineup as are JYJ, LXI because CHN is limited to 3 players and so are Wang ZM, Dragon Long, Du...Looks like you are better of recruiting Tom Cruise to run your mission impossible....LOL!!:D:mad:

9. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Errr...think they are in the same half of the draw...as for TH vrs LCW, I don't think you meant WC, CTJCAD just confirmed that TH has never or cannot even win a SS for 3+ years, WC sounds kinda a bit tough;) Maybe you meant TH-LCW final in some East Timor championship or Pahang championship:D:p

10. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    PmB, I support MAS badminton, the underdogs especially and if LCW has the best shot, he is the man, da;). But if LCW and LD meet in the SF, do you honestly would bet on LCW winning especially in a major tournament that LD is aiming for his 4th gold to be the all-time leader in WC? LCW is on a hot winning streak of 6 SS wins while LD was undefeated in CBL, obviously in great physical condition, not like in EAG. I am only honest here predicting LD will win as the BC polls agrees too;)
    I know you join BC recently, if you have a chance to look back, when LCW was the fav to win e.g. WC06 in KL, he faltered then and time and time again - is that pressure he put on himself? But when LCW is not favored to win, as in SO (his WR was 5 or 6 then and at the time when LM buggered off to KOR, he put a clinical rally game to win, I have watched that game many times, beautiful game.
    BTW, I notice XBall is conspicuously abscent or MIA, as XBall would thump his chest and cheer mightily for LCW, and LCW would lose. Maybe this is the omen LCW needs to WC, hmmmm:rolleyes:, there is hope for MAS after all:D:p

#170 OneToughBirdie, Aug 13, 2010
  11. kuwichert

kuwichert Regular Member

consultant
    buddy, don't put me the wrong way!:mad: read my statements from the beginning, so you figure out what it all is about, sorry,I have to do more interesting things than to keep on repeating :eek: just one thing more: we do not care about WC only, so please start thinking (or may be reading:D) first before mixing up the topics:cool:

12. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

People, there is no need to debate who is going to win MS. The only point worth talking is whether LD will be in form.

He is unstoppable if he is playing at his peak and the only real chance for other players to win is when they are playing at best while LD is off form. PERIOD. :p

13. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Although I am a LCW fan, I have to agree with you. Lin Dan at his peak in the Olympics - even the Korean Open 2010 LCW where LCW is at his peak can't stop that! :eek: We shall see whether we can trust LYB's words when Lin Dan meets his first real test in the WC. :)

14. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    otb, i am long enough here in bc to read you

as a person just through your posts.

you are very observant and interesting person

thats why i like to read your post.

even though you spent short time in bc (post count i will chase you soon)

your post is well written most of the time

with some humor at times

but i can tell you, your heart is still with the malaysian players

you still miss malaysian food, your friends here and all those memories

and of course our 15-points....

it is just the fact in front of us that lee chong wei hasn't overcome

the fear to beat lin dan that makes him the hot favorite

until the day comes (hope in this wc)

our favorite will remain as lin dan

even though deep deep in our hearts we hope lee chong wei will win!

15. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Oh Lordy...you got me 100% correct, I salute you:)...from the very beginning, I have said without apology, that I support all MAS players and why not, I was born there, watching them play at courtside, my mom and siblings are all back home and one day, my wife and I will retire home too. I have lots of friends in MAS. My best friend once said, you may find your fortune away from home, but no place like home, hmmm, wonder where I heard that line...ahh, wizard of Oz:D:p It is kind of sad that with the rich history in badminton, MAS has yet to nail a WC and OLY gold when our neighbor (US of A) got half a gold biscuit:crying: Anyone in this forum who said neutral, forget it, deep in every person's heart, they are all partisan to one player or country, some are vocal, some are quiet, some are wierd going on a mission:p, some I dunno:p:D

#175 OneToughBirdie, Aug 13, 2010
  16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..i'll give you a chance to ask one or two or three of the many INA or TH die hard fans in BC to confirm..;)

17. Isometric_kid

Isometric_kid Regular Member

Student

Those words ARE your translation, it's not official. You slant 'your' translation to fools dummies as fact or offical statements.
    Here is the official news in english verision
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/12082...h-trims-titles-target-ahead-world-champs.html

Badminton-China coach trims titles target ahead of world champs
    Thu, 12 Aug 09:54:00 2010

China must temper its expectations ahead of the badminton world championships in Paris later this month and taking home just three of the five titles up for grabs is a realistic target, said head coach Li Yongbo.
    China won all but the mixed doubles at last year's world championships in India but the outspoken coach said the poor form of some key players this year could weaken their dominance.
    "Of course I always want all five. But this time we have to be less optimistic," Li told Titan News. "It is impossible to even match last year's four wins."
    The Chinese women's team suffered a shock defeat to South Korea in the Uber Cup in May, ending their hold on the trophy that went back to 1998.
    "The women are still in the shadow of the Uber Cup defeat, and the best men's pair, Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng, have not played together for months because they represent different clubs in the domestic league. So it is also very difficult," he added.
    Lin Dan, who has won the men's singles at the last three world championships, is the only in-form player in the China team, Li said.
    The Olympic champion, however, faces a tough path to a fourth title with world number one Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia and former world and Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat in the same side of the draw.
    "Lin is doing very well recently," Li said. "I believe he could beat Lee in the semi just like he did at this year's Thomas Cup. And I hope he could win the fourth consecutive title ... So we do not want more. Three will be enough."

#177 Isometric_kid, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  18. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Chris....we have talked about that...you said that you are TH fans? come on..dont be too cynical like to ask kido/Hendra to win US Open ...both are ex gold olympians....if Kido/Hendra needs to win US Open then the rest have to do it..we have talked about it...now honestly you sound like cooler ...who love making troubles

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hi Hau-ge, OTB just wanted to confirm if TH has ever won a SS title...that's all..a fact finding mission; and i hope it's not Mission Impossible..:cool:

20. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    thanks for providing the info.

after reading above i wonder whats behind lyb's mind,

saying lin dan is the only in-form player in the china team.

is it because he won all his csl singles games?

winning (15?) games in almost 3 months can be considered in-form?

chen jin and bao i guess only lost to 2 to 3 players during the csl

are considered off-form?

what do you all bc members conclude from this?