Left handed advantage

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Sweden, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Sweden

Sweden Regular Member

Programmer
    How big is the advantage for left handed badminton players actually :rolleyes:

2. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

it is a slight advantage

the reason is that players are used to play righthanders..and a change of play is needed whereas the lefthander is used to play vs righties...if leftie plays vs leftie its obv. neutralising

3. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    From What I have experienced and seen, the main advantage is the right handed players tend to forget they are lefties and place their shot to the forehand area of the lefties.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, it requires more conscious effort for the right hander to avoid the left hander's forehand... whether in clearing, blocking, driving, defending, etc

From experience, I'd say a righty playing against a lefty will have many more "oh sh1t!" moments than the lefty... ;)

#4 visor, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  5. Nogin

Nogin Regular Member

Other than the stated advantages

The left handed forehand slice shot/drop/smash brushes against the lay of the feather generating more friction. In-turn this spins the shuttle more creating a steeper sliced shot/drop/smash.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not sure if there are that much advantage. statistically, there are probably just as many (in percentage) winners who are leftie and rightie.

however, i do think that lefthanders can have a unique style. i am talking the like of Jiang Yanjiao, Wang Xin, Lin Dan. all have a unique and esp Jiang and WX has a very distinctive and beautiful playing style.

7. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

I don't think this has to do with being leftie or rightie.

However, how many genius righties should I name?

There is no inherent advantage being left or right handed.
    As said, a leftie has some advantage because most players are not used to playing against lefties. That's all.

How big is that advantage? What a question.... I would say exactly 3.83548935%...;-)

8. chienming

chienming Regular Member

manager
    Opponents have been accustomed to playing the right hand man to shoot, so playing left-handed people do not beat a good fight, and left-handed shot who is playing the right hand often shoot people, so very smoothly.

9. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

10. amleto

amleto Regular Member

is chienming a bot?

11. chienming

chienming Regular Member

manager
    Left-handed player have been accustomed to playing right-handed, so left-handed player is very easy to play, but the right-hand player is not accustomed to playing with Left-handed player, such as to the backhand position, the right hand player often give wrong, but the left-handed hitter does not.

12. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    I was just thinking about starting a thread on this

This. Although how much of an advantage this gives lefties is not clear, it is an advantage. Right-handed players can simulate this by reverse-slicing rather than forward-slicing but needless to say, forward-slicing is a much more smooth and natural stroke as opposed to reverse-slicing which goes against the joints. I am curious to know how much of a difference this makes though.

I know exactly what you mean [MENTION=1]kwun[/MENTION] . Lefties seem to tend to have smoother swings and styles and usually keep their racket down rather than up. I've noticed this consistently in left-handed players like LD, Lee Hyun-il, TBH, etc. Even lefties that I spar with here have similar characteristics. As to why though, I am not sure.

This is a very big common advantage too. I remember LCW saying something about trying to find lefties to spar with for the upcoming 2012 Olympics but was unable to find ones of high caliber (or something along those lines)

There is also a tactical advantage in doubles because of the opposing forehands between lefties and righties. This allows for certain strategies to work well in lefty-righty pairs that wouldn't with two like-handed players.

It would be really nice if someone could find information on the advantage lefties have over righties in terms of technique and shuttle speed. I'm curious myself