Korea Open 2006: Day 2 (22/08)

Discussion in 'Korea Open / Hong Kong Open 2006' started by badMania, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Chu Liuxiang

Chu Liuxiang Regular Member

I think KBH may not be selected as the Asian game player for Malaysia base on his recent international circuits performance. Whoever who want to select KBH will be under tremendous pressure to answer to all parties if KBH lost again in team events to a lower rank player/ players. Either Li Mao or Yap Kim Hock will not dare to pick KBH. I think WCH should be the right choice for Malaysian third singles in team events. This time, no one should use Asian Games for any junior players for exposure or gaining experience.:D

2. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Let Choon Hann rest

Wong Choon Hann is not the right one to send to Asian Games as he's still making his come back and wouldn't be even close to 100%. No point to send the veteran to event where he have no chance to win the title(very possible to re-injure again), instead Yeo Kah Bin or junior player Arif should be send to gain some valuable experience. I agree it's time to exclude Kuan Beng Hong but coach Yap may have hard time to convince the hard-headed Li Mau to give out KBH, imagine Li Mau exercise his trademark, pack and leave Malaysia :) Malaysia has been over-used the vaterans from the past, it's time to move on and showcase the young guns. We can't just rely on LCW and Hafiz, we need 3rd and 4th capable potential new comers. If Rexy can bringup so many young talents in MDs, why not Misbun/Li Mau?

3. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

Speaking of using veterans, we are not as good as denmark...

The Sidek brothers have always been searching for new talents and few of the lack quality ones have been dropped out of the team... I think all we need is time to discover another LCW

4. Chu Liuxiang

Chu Liuxiang Regular Member

Well, if WCH is 100% recovered from injury by December but may not be in peak form, he will still be the most reliable third singles for Malaysia because Malaysia has not much choices in MS, not like MD that at least Malaysia has five to six pairs reliable doubles pairs. YKB or Arif can gain more exposures in a lot of international tournaments but not in Asian Games team events. Malaysian third singles opponents could be either Chen Jin, Chen Yu, Chen Hong or Bao Chunlai ( if they meet China) or Simon Santoso or Sony Dwikuncoro ( if they meet Indonesia) or Park Sung Hwan ( if they meet Korea). KBH beat Simon and Park during Thomas Cup Asian qualifying zone but I doubt he could make it again with his current performance.

If WCH is not fit at all by December, then, maybe James Chua ( 2002 Malaysian Open MS champion) could be the second choice for Malaysian third singles . At least better than KBH. Arif could be too inexperience. YKB never won any international tournament before. I remembered James Chua even beat Taufik Hidayat in some South East Asia junior team events when Malaysia vs Indonesia a couple of years ago.:D

The third choice should be among Sairul Amar, Yeoh Kay Bin and Lee Tsuen Seng or even Roslin Hashim ??:D

5. blessing

blessing Regular Member

perhaps kuan beng hong needs time under Li Mao.. i believe dat Li Mao will makes some changes on KBH.. the problem is jux da time.....

6. event

event Regular Member

So many great matches even in the first round! Jonassen and Bao both got taken to three games. Shon Seung-mo went 3 games with his Austrian opponent! Kuan Beng Hong beaten, Nathan and Gail beaten. The most exciting matches of the day was undoubtedly women's singles when Kang Hae-won beat Hirayama Yu of Japan. The first game went to 29 points! The third game was a nail-biter as well with some incredible rallies.

7. Jaywhy

Jaywhy Regular Member

Malaysia team is considering Sairul Amar and Yeoh Kay Bin as 4th MS due to Kuan poor performance. BAM not appreciate talent like Sairul,he not even under national team but performance better then some of them.

Kuan just transferred to Li Mau, at this transition time don't expect to see result immediately. I think he is in the weaker time changing playing style and adapt to Li Mau method.

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Not that i'm against KBH.. but i'm questioning his performance lately. He seems to play well during practises but crumble pressure or to those players that he can beat. From what i can see, KBH definately have and edge over Andrew Smith.

As for WCH.. i do agree to let him rest. He has been doing drills and playing hr long games. He still does not feel that it is the right time yet to play in major tourneys. At the back of his mind he knows he can perform.. but don't want to risk it out yet.

9. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

holy smokes hes already doing footowrk?! thats insane recovery time. thats actually ridiculous for a complete achilles tear! That is really, really impressive. Congratulations to WCH for his speedy recovery.

10. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

PROBLEM WITH KBH:

1. Lacks innovativation in his play
    2. Lacks will to win
    3. Needs to build up his strength (his ying and yang is not right)
    4. Capitulates easily (weak brain)
    5. Still lacking in stroke techniques

And most important, NO KILLER INSTINCT. He is what we call a 'Badminton Wimp'. I wish I can be more gentle with my words but if he reads this, it will be good for him.

If he wants to play badminton, he needs to put in 110%. He needs to breathe, think, and startegise on badminton every day. He has to give up his girlfriend(s) -- he is thinking too much of them. KBH, U must want it to win it !

11. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

Let's talk more about Andrew Smith

Let's talk more about KBH's opponent - Andrew Smith. He got one set from Lin Dan during Thomas Cup Quarter-Final.
    I didn't have the chance to watch his performance this time but from what I saw at the Thomas Cup, Andrew is a very "cool" player. I mean his mental strength is definitely much better than KBH.
    It's glad to see talents come out from more countries. Will Andrew get greater achievement than Colin Haughton did:rolleyes:

#51 Scott Kam, Aug 22, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  12. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Ya...i am fully agree with what X Ball opinion...As you all can see...After the Thomas Cup..BAM has given KBH a lot of chances to build up his confidence but i do know what is really happened to him...Chu Liuxiang is right...If in china..KBH has eliminated from the team early with his performance...As for James Chua...He is really improved a lot..he has beaten Kendrick Lee...Well,i hope he can do more...No doubt...There are no worry in Mas MD because there are a lot of talented pairs and a lot of choices but MS is the big problem...I think this is the time for BAM to select or hunt for new talented players..We can't always depends on LCW one top players...We need more talented young players..

13. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    I have watched KBH's results in opens for a while. I got surprised before TCup that every time, KBH always got an easy draw. Then lost to Gade and other better players in quarter final many times. That time, I thought KBH was a lucky player because his easy draw every time. But now, it seems that luck he had before really hurts him now. Because of IBF's ranking system, KBH got high ranking after several quarter finalists (two of them are 6 stars). So people's expectations are high now for him. Unfortunately, his luck runs out now, which also hurts his confidence. So he needs time, and also luck to go back to overcome this kind of typical fluctuations.

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think to train someone up to KBH's level is not easy and BAM has already invested quite a bit on him. To give him up at this stage will be a great loss and may not be fair to KBH.

It is easy to say we need more talented players but how would you define talent if KBH's standards are not enough. Can you really get more talented players than him in Malaysia? Can you currently find someone close to Taufik Hidayat or even LCW?

I think KBH's time with Li Mao is relatively shorter than LCW's. If I can remember correctly, he was transferred to Li from Misbun??? Give this young man more time to prove himself. Remember he has proven himself in a way by beating the other national players directly below him, including YKB and James Chua, before being selected as Malaysia's third singles in the absence of the injured WCH.

15. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I think he chokes every time he plays someone more intelligent then him.

16. xijiayu

xijiayu Regular Member

i think another serial of early round defeats from KBH will probably end his hope of representing Malaysia in major tournaments. I think YKB would be selected ahead of him for Asian Games.