Korea’s Kim sets goal of two Athens golds before retirement

Discussion in 'World Championships 2003' started by Phil, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    From worldbadminton.net

01/07/2003 : Doubles supremo Kim Dong Moon wants to bow out of the sport after next year’s Olympic Games – and has set himself the goal of clinching two gold medals from Athens before hanging up his rackets.

Speaking to reporters during Korea’s three-match friendly tour of Malaysia, IBF’s 2002 Player of the Year told of his ultimate dream of achieving two Olympic golds in his international swansong next year, and also of his confidence heading into the QI IBF World Championships in just under four weeks’ time.

The charismatic duo of Kim and Ha Tae Kwon, ranked number one in the world, are widely tipped to take the men’s doubles title in Birmingham, England, when the world event is staged from 28 July – 3 August.

As champions in 1999 and runners-up in 2001 they will be keen to reclaim the world crown, and see 1997 world champions Candra Wijaya and Sigit Budiarto as they only potential stumbling block en route to the title.

“We will have no problems winning the doubles title and if there is anyone who could give us some resistance, it is going to be Candra and Sigit," Kim told the New Straits Times, adding “and I am confident of adding the mixed doubles title to my collection as well.”

“I have been able to concentrate on both events since last year and will continue competing until the Athens Olympics next year. That’s where my focus is as I want to retire from international badminton by winning two gold medals in Athens next year.”

Kim is due to compete in the mixed event in Birmingham with Ra Kyung Min.

A gold medallist in men’s and mixed doubles at the 1999 World Championships in Copenhagen, Kim already has two Olympic medals to his name.

He won the first ever mixed doubles gold in Atlanta with Gil Young Ah, and also scooped a bronze at the Sydney men’s doubles event with Ha Tae Kwon, but two golds from Athens would certainly ensure Kim went down in history as one of badminton’s best ever doubles stars.