koo/tan advance to the wc final,let us heard what will the criticizer said?

Discussion in 'World Championships 2010' started by limsy, Aug 28, 2010.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Got kah? Pang got say many things, but mostly not heard clearly, hahaha. :D:D

The only other clearer one was semi vs Guo/XC. At 2nd set 18-18 I think, Rexy said his usual "Fikir satu satu ya"

2. eaglehelang

It was AE 2009, WC 2009, WC 2010. AE 2010 was won was Lars/Jonas.
    Cai Yun's improvement at 30 & Fu at 26 plus Lars/Jonas's AE win at uncle age -> shows that for MD, experience counts more than just pure youth energy.

3. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    Can tell me the difference between supporter and fan ar??
    We have our own view and take on each issue....as long as we do not personal attack players.... why not??

Some might think they are serious, some might think the opposite...but it depends on which game...

If KKK is "in form" his fancy shot is fun to watch. But if off-form like during TC SF against CHN, then will be disastrous...

4. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    That "Fikir satu satu" thing was there since All England 2007 days. Think one step at a time.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Throughout this thread, there is one thing I haven't seen mentioned.

We have to remember that Koo and Tan were unfortunately given a really tough draw in their fight to the final with Cai and Fu. Prior to meeting and beating their nemesis JJS/LYD, they had to go through the other 2 Chinese pairs.

Upon seeing their draw initially, even I had doubts. But for them to reach the final under such tough conditions, I must say I'm very pleasantly surprised and happy that they've improved so much to come so far.

If only they won the second game in the final in 2 games straight instead of stretching it out to 3. You can see their stamina was waning in the 3rd game, likely from their tough draw.

#125 visor, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  6. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    The stadium conditions were really hot, bot of them had to have ice packs to cool them down.....

7. eaglehelang

Yeah, I know noticed that

8. kming

kming Regular Member

Computer
    I'm agree with you. From the court side, i think that they lost the match at the beginning of the 3rd set (see the evolution of the points here http://www.competitions.be/sport/ma..._ctl00_ctl00_cphPage_cphPage_cphPage_tblGame3) I had this feeling by watching their face at the end of the second game. KKK seemed very disapointed at that point. And i felt that continued a little bit in the beginning of the third when they began to lose some point in arrow until 7-2. After that they played better and i felt that they recapture their confidence. But it was too late. I remember well the face of KKK before the service in the second match point. He was talking to ihimself like someone who try to motivate himself. I really had the impression that he still believed in a turnaround.

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i hope ur tough draw theory wont label as excuse by certain people
    lol

10. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Which person won't be mentally exhausted upon beating strong pairs? :) KKK/TBH can still grow, once they start to make very few unforced errors they will be one of the most formidable pairs in history. But it's very, very tough to reach that level.

11. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

First, they have to bring up their stamina level to last a smashing 3 games match from round one to final then only they caould reduce their error. With stamina level like CY/FHF having now, thats no such as tough draw problems.

#131 jasonmarc, Sep 2, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  12. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Two types of stamina - Mental stamina and Physical stamina. I think KKK has quite good mental strength, only TBH maybe not so.

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Mental stamina is usually dependent on mental strength

Mental stamina is usually dependent on mental strength. Mental strength is usually developed with years of participating in tougher matches.

KKK has more experience in tougher matches. In fact, he has learned much of it from Chan Chong Ming, when KKK first started pairing up with him.

Hope that TBH can develop stronger mental strength ASAP, as he is participating in more tougher matches.

14. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    After re-watching the short clip posted on WC2010 conclusion thread, that match (MD final) was indeed very spectacular to watch.

Beside many great comments you all stated on what Koo/Tan should do in order to improve their game, please allow me to add on their positioning when defending.

When the chinese were attacking, many a time Koo/Tan defended too deep into the baseline. 1 more step backward and they will definitely be stepping on the inner baseline. This was very obvious in the third match (thanks to the video taken from the side).

In this position they were forced to lift the shuttle continuously and this is one of the reasons why FHF managed to hit 303kmh in the rubber.

If they were to positioned themselves more to the centre, they could actually play the half drive return (counter attack), because that way they can take the shots much earlier. It also provide them more angles to play instead of being in the defensive for most part of it.

Also I noticed Koo were forced to make a few diving saves when the chinese suddenly changed the pace and played a net shot all because he was too far back.

In another word, they neglected the front of the court which is the most important area to gain control of the game and ultimately lose it.

My two cents.

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    The tactics was perhaps to diminish the strength or energy of FHF

Probably KKK/TBH could not cope with FHF's powerful smashes if they were located more to the centre when defending. Returning smashes by lifting from the back would definitely allow FHF more time to prepare for his next smash; therefore he was able to generate an even faster following smash.

The tactics was perhaps to diminish the strength or energy of FHF. But it didn't work, for FHF was super fit.

#135 chris-ccc, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

my 3 sens:
    ..the reason why KKK & TBH were defending closer to the backline was because their initial lifts/clears didn't go deep enough on CY & FHF's side. By lifting short or half-court or not deep enough, CY and FHF already gained the advantage in front court coverage; add to that, their attacks/smashes were sharper thus forcing KKK & TBH's not so effective returns. IMO, only way to counter the attacks/smashes by CY & FHF was to regain the attacks by forcing FHF & CY to lift by not lifting (doing flat returns, counter-drops instead) to them. Of course, it's easier said than done.

#136 ctjcad, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  17. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ Agree. Plus how else do you defend from 300km/h smashes? Standing closer would be suicidal!

Let's face it, Fu has really improved.

18. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    Yes the chinese are always supreme fitness wise.

My point was if Koo/Tan were to positioned themselves more towards the centre, they probably in the first place need not to resort to high lifts all the time. By taking the shuttle earlier it provides them with more choices of shots eg. flatter drives to either of the sidelines or cross court placement of the shuttle like what they did on the 1st game.

It can be done if they hold their rackets high enough (body level instead of knee level) while defending.

Also like what I've pointed out, it gives them easier reach to the net and gain more control of it thus forcing the opponents to do the lifting instead of them lifting the shuttle all the time. That was exactly how the chinese wanted Koo/Tan to play and they succeeded.

I agreed FHF is super fit but if you do not feed him with those opportunities, where on earth can he execute his power smashes.

According to your point, FHF should be smashing way harder in the 1st match where he was much fresher but the irony was the 280+, 290+ and 300+ kmh were recorded in the closing half of the rubber where Koo/Tan defended too often/deep and surrendered front control.

Anyway this is just an opinion I wanted to share and I don't mean anything else.:)

19. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    Yes FHF has improved a lot from a already good player and I recognized that since TC2010. I even voted for them to win the WC2010 but that wasn't my point here.

20. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    anyone vote for koo/tan vs cai/fu rematch?