Kanta Tsuneyama

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by Sundis, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Kanta Tsuneyama
    常山幹太
    Personal information
    Country
    [​IMG] Japan
    Born 21 June 1996(age 22)
    Shiga Prefecture, Japan
    Height 1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)
    Weight 60 kg (132 lb)
    Handedness Right

Kanta is doing well recently so I have created his own thread.

[​IMG]
    This is when he won Canada open last year. Im sure he is very happy he recieved a big moose while Momota only got a small one.

[​IMG]
    This is him celebrating after he won the deciding MS3 in Thomas cup semifinal to get JPN into the final.

This is a decent match vs Lin Dan. I wish they had played again in the Thomas cup final MS3, but his team mates screwed up so he didnt have the chance to become a hero (or go down fighting).

My prediction is that he will become JPN MS2 and overtake Kenta Nishimoto.
    Does anyone else have any opinion about this player?

Master, Cunning Linguist and Cheung like this.
  2. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Well done on the post. I do think he's rubbish, though. :D

3. Master

Master Regular Member

The rubbish has won his first ever Super 500 tournament title in Thailand :D

@Sundis I think you have the right feeling about "He'll be JPN second MS."

Tsuneyama scores a first for Japan in men’s singles of Thailand Open

Kanta Tsuneyama emerged as the first Japanese men’s singles winner in the Thailand Open in Bangkok.

The world No. 33 Tsuneyama beat Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia 21-16, 13-21, 21-9 in 58 minutes to deny the latter from completing a Thai double.

Tommy, the world No. 15, had earlier won the Thailand Masters in January.

For the 22-year-old Tsuneyama, the Thailand Open triumph is his career’s best achievement having won the lower tier Canada Open and Austrian Open last year and the Finnish Open in 2016.

[Source]

Sundis likes this.
  4. Cunning Linguist

I knew that would be coming back to me some day, but why so soon? :D

I'm not impressed in the slightest, though. The field was as easy as they come and he had to go the full distance against 4 unseeded players (ranked 40, 54, 80 and 15 in the world, respectively).
    Watch his match against Axelsen and you know what I mean. 11 and 10, the quickest and easiest match VA had to play in that tournament. R.U.B.B.I.S.H. :p

5. BeeKi

BeeKi Active Member

His speed and stamina trouble Tommy on Sunday. I think he has more room to improve for facing with Top Ten player.
    But this guy is fun to watch..:D:D:D I love his smile and attitude on court.

Master likes this.
  6. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    He just needs to figure out how to play Axelsen (come up with a gameplan that keeps Axelsen from unleashing the bazooka smash from 3,5 m height) then Im sure he will get a better score.

Master likes this.
  7. Master

Master Regular Member

The rubbish isn't a correct term regarding Kanta Tsuneyama's improvement. He has improved a lot IMO, and yes he's struggle against top seeded players. But it doesn't mean he's nothing as you gave a term rubbish.

When Tsuneyama reaching the top podium in Thailand, where are Nishimoto and Sakai in the mean time?

Playing against Victor Axelsen is a real challange for Tsuneyama himself BUT he got a lot learned lessons from that match.
    Lost in big margin doesn't mean he's rubbish, how about Brice Leverdez 7 and 9 points against Axelsen in 2018 European Championships?

8. Cunning Linguist

Leverdez? He's of course rubbish, too. And Sakai, well, don't get me started. :D
    Come on mate, you're reading a bit too much into my use of that word.

9. Cunning Linguist

Ok, I take it back. :oops::p

10. kurako

kurako Regular Member

With a perpetual smile and bundles of energy, Tsuneyama seems the most comical and least menacing of Japan's MS players, but he is certainly on a roll.

In a post-match interview today, Tsuneyama explained that as the two players before him (Nishimoto and Momota, respectively) had already won their matches, he did not like the prospect of being the only one to lose. Therefore, he went all out to win. (https://the-as.jp/news/31895/)

Accordingly, had either Nishimoto or Momota lost today, Ginting may still have been in the running. :)

BeeKi likes this.
  11. Master

Master Regular Member

LOL. Is it the second one after that "not possible" turned table last time?

Don't worry! It's gonna be interesting if we give more rooms for players to improve their game into another higher level.

I would add another perspective here.

In other side, Ginting had already said that Nanjing gives him a good memory for him since he won his bronze medal there at the podium of World Junior Championships back in 2014. So, he was in a good confidence.

When I check the 2014 WJC, Tsuneyama is stopped by Ginting in the quarter final round. Tsuneyama creates his vengeance in a good timing.

It wasn't as easy like he said in his post-match interview. Even if he was in a state of all-out-to-win, he won't get that match in straight games against Ginting. So, I think that his statement is a pre-made script. The fact that he should have learned about Ginting's playing style and he brings the capability to tackle it into his match. I said that Tsuneyama in general just outplayed Ginting by playing slow pace and good defensive stance.

Sundis and BeeKi like this.
  12. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Yep, he has certainly improved (... although his movements still look slightly wooden). But somehow Tsuneyama just does not come across as the vengeful type. :D

13. Cunning Linguist

His last two (first round) results vs Vittinghus:

10-21, 11-21
    13-21, 9-21

I think I'm back in the naysaying game. :D:p

14. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

^-^ Tsuneyama is right behind Nishimoto on ranking table.

This will be good for Tsunayama and Nishimoto. I hope this will be a warning to Nishimoto.