Jan O Jorgensen

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by TedTheFarmer, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

I see, not a new rule.
    Meanwhile, I dug up some sources (in Danish):

http://sport.tv2.dk/badminton/2017-...de-resten-af-aaret-overvejer-uventet-mulighed

http://badmintonbladet.dk/et-plaster-paa-saaret-for-danske-spillere-faar-protected-ranking/

Key points:

JOJ got a protected ranking on the 12th of September, 2017, at rank 11. While normally the rule was only for top 10 players (as mentioned in the post above), JOJ was given a protected ranking anyway because he had been in the top 10 consistently for years. (My guess) Perhaps the fact that the rule was about to be extended to top 15 also played a role.

Joachim Fischer also has a protected ranking from the 12th of September 2017 when he was ranked 6.

Petersen and Master like this.
  2. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    What kind of bogus is this protected ranking? I was expecting Jorgensen to slog his way through IC, GP and GPGs (or whatever those tournaments are called nowadays) and make a comeback the hard way like LCW did in 2015 and Momota is doing since last year.

3. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

LCW never has a difficult comeback. His ranking was only about 75 low when he is back.Playing a GP once was enough to allow him participate in a SS again through qualification

Why would you expect him to have a difficult comeback anyway? I personally wants all the best for him to get back to his best and playing at the highest level as soon as possible, as it is where he belongs

4. Hassefar60

As Master pointed out on the previous page, it is not new.

LCW and Momota were not injured. I doubt their reasons for not being able to play would qualify for protected ranking.

The protected ranking is not "bogus". It serves a purpose. It removes the pressure on injured players to push the limit and begin playing again too early. And it serves the sport in general in bringing the top players back where they belong in the curcuit after an injury.

Cheung likes this.
  5. esppy

esppy Regular Member

So wrong. It slid until 180 until the ban got lifted.

Anyway on topic: I hope JOJ comes back soon; Denmark is gonna be strong MS wise for TUC this year 2018.

swsh likes this.
  6. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Yes, but you have to understand that it only happens for 1 week. A week before that, his ranking was 79 and a week before that was 46.
    He was obviously eligible to play in a GP/GPG when he registered for the tournament which run at the same week as when his rank was 180
    The next week, his ranking was already 99, and the next week it is already 65 again. That is often enough to qualify for a SS qualification

7. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    ...which is in direct contradiction to the mandatory # of tournaments top players are required to play. in essence the rule can be (and should be) abused by players to avoid playing too many tournaments.

what was bwf thinking...? i don't see the logic.

to the athlete: if you get hurt, too bad. it's a risk you assumed when you entered this profession.

to bwf: if an athlete does not want to play why care? it's their choice to lose out on ranking points & money. bwf's job is to promote the sport, not control the top players or those you perceive as 'stars' of the game. stars will emerge via natural selection.

sports is a meritocracy meant to be void of control, bias & favoritism.

#327 samkool, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  8. Master

Master Regular Member

No one could abuse that protected ranking system.

9. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    good to know. i haven't had the time to read through the new rules, so lets look at it from another angle... and hopefully someone can answer these ?'s

let's take the protected ranking out of the equation, as if it does not exist.
    • will top committed players be fined even though they have a legitimate injury and medically advised not to play?
      • if so that's f*cked up. if not there's no need for a protected ranking. just get a medical waiver for any tournament you don't want to play. for top players missing a tournament or 2 or 3 won't affect your ranking much, or at all, if they still only count your 10 best results from the past 52 weeks. things would turn out just like previous years.
    • does the injury need to be a minimum degree of a classified diagnosis to waive the fine? (example: must play with a minor ankle sprain but not with a major ankle sprain) if so, that's f*cked up, too.
    how does the mandatory appearances help anybody in any way?
    how does it foster goodwill between the sports governing body and the teams/athletes?

can anyone out there justify the mandatory appearance rule?

10. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

The mandatory appearance is what researchers call as the Virtuous Cycle. It leads to the appearance of high level play at lower tournament, increasing badminton popularity, increasing number of spectators, increasing number of interesting sponsor, increasing number of prize money, and increasing the well-being of the athlete as well as BWF and badminton status in front of other sports

Mr Arc2 likes this.
  11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/mandatory-of-tournament-appearances.174438/

This is the discussion thread

stanleyfm likes this.
  12. Hassefar60

I see your point. Yes, there is indeed a contradiction here when you look at the protected ranking as a means to skip tournaments and circumvent the rules about mandatory appearence. But that is not its purpose. Its purpose is to protect your ranking. There are other and simpler means to skip tournaments (faked injury).

Petersen and Master like this.
  13. Master

Master Regular Member

@Hassefar60 I need you to confirm this tweet

Did Jorgensen said that he will be back soon and he would like to coordinate with Viktor Axelsen about Viktor's tournament schedule?

14. Hassefar60

Correct.

"Hey @ViktorAxelsen - I am going to be back soon and would like to coordinate my calendar with yours. What do you NOT play the next six months? #respect"

As far as I know, JOJ will play European Team Championships as his first "tournament".

stanleyfm and Master like this.
  15. Master

Master Regular Member

Protected Ranking appear for the first time at M&Q Report.

JOJ confirmed to use his Protected Ranking in Swiss Open.

At Swiss Open 2018 - M&Q Report v2 (Updated Monday, 22nd January 2018), it originally mentioned that JOJ was registered with his 155th ranking and he would play Qualification Round as the last person in the list.

Some revisions being made after that, M&Q Report v3 (Updated Friday, 26th January 2018) placed him at the top with his Protected Ranking (11th).

The last updated version : M&Q Report v4 (Updated Tuesday, 30th January 2018) no major changes.

16. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Wow, what a decline for JoJ. Losing today toK anta Tsuneyama in the Thomas Cup. I'm assuming his injury is fine and it's not causing him pain. But his form is so poor, even after a few tournaments. He is on the older side, but 30 is okay since LD and LCW were 32 and 33 at the last Olympics and they were the top players in the world at the Olympics (next to Chen Long).

He still has time to get back. Hope he can get back and gives us a few years of top level badminton before he gets really old and needs to retire.

17. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Hope that he doesnt take it too hard on himself

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    He was really devastated.

19. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Oh dear... Hope JOJ is ok.

All is not lost... TC is a biennale event. He is not that old too. If he works hard to bring back his form, there should be opportunity for him to contribute at the next TC. He still has it in him; saw glimpses of his former best self yesterday, despite the horrendous unforced errors.

Moreover, Surdiman Cup shd be held next year ( iirc it's held the following year after TC/UC). That's a goal to work towards too.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

#339 nizze, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
  20. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    So the protected ranking will expire on september 12 right? It will be hard to challenge Axelsen & Antonsen for an olympic games ticket 2020.