Iso 250 Long vs. 500 Swing Power

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by deadkenny, Aug 11, 2001.

1. deadkenny

deadkenny Guest

Hi All,

I'll apologize in advance for the redundancy of this post, but my other one (asking about the 250) was getting kinda complicated (with the various threads within it - if you know what I mean). I'd to thank everyone who responded and offered their advice. I really appreciate it and considered it all. Thanks again. :)

To recap, I've been using an Iso 80lt. I'm now looking to move up to an intermediate racquet. I've narrowed it to the Iso 250 Long ($100 + $15 string, no labour for stringing) vs. the Iso 500 Swing Power SS ($120 incl string and labour). I'm thinking Yonex BG-65 string. I thought about the Muscle Power, but that was a bit above my price range (at least the prices that I'm aware of in the GTA). So any final comments / suggestions on the racquets regarding price, quality, value etc.? How about string. Is BG-65 a good choice for either or both racquets? What tension would be good? Once again, I appreciate your comments / suggestions / advice. Thanks. :)

2. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    deadkenny, sorry about the misleading information regarding the material of the iso250. it is in fact high mod graphite... i just thought that it wouldnt be :smile:
    anyways the iso500 is much better than iso250.
    iso500 has variations of balance and stiffness...so u can choose one that is best for you. also, the iso500 has an aerodynamic frame and shaft, u will be able to swing that very fast and generate power easily.
    as for strings, stick with bg65 for now till u get better.
    its best to get a racquet and set of strings, get used to it and work on shot technique. once your technique is high up there, u can move on to different strings, along with different tensions and possibly a different racquet.
    for a beginner/intermediate, its best to stick with lower string tensions.
    lower string tensions provide more repulsion for people who dont hit has hard(believe me, without the proper technique, no matter how hard one hits, it wont be powerful). string tensions like 19x21 or 18x20 should be very good to start off with. the lower the tension, the larger the sweet spot is on the racquet. so with a lower tension, you will be able to hit the bird with accuracy more consistantly.
    hope all this helps! :p

3. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Iso 500

4. deadkenny

deadkenny Guest

Thanks Shaun and Yogesh for your reponses. I guess it's the 500 after all. I'm going to check it out as soon as I get a chance.

I have one other question. I believe it was Zero who posted the following chart in my other thread.

Iso500:
    SX = 87
    SS = 87
    SR= 81
    SA = 81

Now, I've eliminated the extremes (SX and SA) from consideration. However, there appears to be quite a difference in weight between the SS and SR. Does anyone have an opinion on whether the SS or SR would be better. I was thinking the SS for the stiffness, but would the SR feel more comfortable because of the lighter weight? I'd like this racquet to last for a while, so I'm thinking of what's good in the future as well as for now. I can always get it restrung, but I don't want to have to replace the racquet for a while.

5. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    the SS is stiffer and can sustain higher string tensions, the SR, although is lighter, is more head heavy. i guess you could say the SR is easier on your arm...it cant sustain as high of a string tension as the SS can, but instead, it offers good maneuverability and is used by Gong zhichao or however u spell it :smile:

6. deadkenny

deadkenny Guest

Thanks again Shaun. Sounds like maybe the SS is better then. I probably don't need the higher string tension capacity now. But, as I said, it's nice to have it for the future when I might want to go with a higher tension.

7. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    nods then go for the SS, either way you cant lose...the 500 swing power is a much better racquet than the iso250 long

8. deadkenny

deadkenny Guest

Well, looks like I can't get an Iso 500 from YoSport. Only a SA left, and I don't want something that flexible. It's apparently not being made by Yonex anymore either, so I can't order it either. I might be able to get a 500 SX elsewhere, but it's going to cost $120 not including stringing. The MP55 is also $120 at Yo (including string). How does that compare? Or is my best bet the 250 Long now? Anyone have any other suggestions. I really don't want to go over $120. Thanks.

9. deadkenny

deadkenny Guest

Unfortunately, no Iso 500 SP SX, SS or SR at Yo's. Only a SA, and that's not what I want. :(

The MP55 is $120. How does that compare?