Is it useful or appropriate to use ankle weights?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bad-min-ton, Oct 13, 2004.

1. DanhNguyen5.3

DanhNguyen5.3 Regular Member

yeah i know right, but people buy them mainly to take the chance of the risk, or they just dont know of the negative effect

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

For the same reason they "get away" with selling any weights: used correctly, they can be safe and effective; used incorrectly, they can cause injury. You can buy weights so heavy they will destroy your back if you lift them incorrectly!

Ankle weights are perfectly safe in certain applications. Their main use is for controlled off-court strength training, not as a "hardcore" modification to on-court badminton. Walking around the house with them should be fine, if rather pointless. ;)

As a general rule, ankle weights should not be used in situations that place high demands on ankle stability (such as badminton). Doing so increases the risk of a traumatic ankle injury. If you must do weighted badminton training, a weight vest would be less risky, but I would still recommend against it. Adding weight should be avoided during any high-impact activity, as it increases the risk of joint damage.

Instead, the same kinds of training can be performed in more controlled circumstances. Taking the training off-court, you can make the exercise low-impact and avoid destabilising movements.

A good application of ankle weights is in the treatment of patello-femoral pain syndrome ("runner's knee"). Knee extensions in the last few degrees of movement (~ 5--10 degrees) strengthen the VMOs and develop stability. The exercise is progressed by adding heavier and heavier ankle weights; for professional footballers, the weight on the ankle can go up to 17 kg!

3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I know that the whole volleyball team train in ankle weights. Running, jumping plus all their drills. Is this unsafe?

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Well, it depends on how the training is performed. It has the potential to be unsafe, depending on several factors:

• The extent of destabilising movements involved in the drill
    • The amount of weight added to the ankle
    • The individual athlete (how good is his stability?)

I caution against using ankle weights not because they are always bad, but because they are easily misused by players seeking a "hardcore" training exercise. It's easy to put yourself at risk, and the benefits are questionable. You could just as easily improve your performance by choosing a safer exercise.

So I'm not saying, "never use ankle weights". I'm saying, "only use ankle weights if you're sure you know what you're doing." As an absolute minimum, the player should have completed a basic strength and stability programme before attempting dynamically destabilising strength/speed exercises (such as footwork with ankle weights). Very few amateur players have actually done this.

It's all about risk versus reward. As a general principle, players should prefer low-risk exercises to higher-risk alternatives.

#144 Gollum, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  5. DanhNguyen5.3

I see, well im asking like, i havent have any kind of injuiries before on my ankles, and i was using 2.5bls on each legs just walking alil and alil jumping for like 20 mins for a test try for the first time, and i hear how it can slow me down, like im getting paraniod that my movements got slower and my high got less higher after that 'tryout' for awhile, like will it affect my game ??

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I wouldn't worry about that. Your jump height probably decreased because the muscles were becoming tired.

Controlled actions with ankle weights are generally safe. It's only when the exercise is destabilising that you need to be careful.

7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Yup. In moderation. ;) Felt like flying after using it. ;)

8. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

this is off topic, but all the heroes in Dragon Balls train with ankle weights and they get super pumped! :p

9. Kodechi

Kodechi New Member

Nothing.
    I walk around with 5lb ankle weights on each leg. I usually wear them for 5 hours. I walk close to 10km daily. I have been using them for about 6 months.

10. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    So, did you managed to fly?? ;) I bet you must be doing lots of jump smashes.. ;)

11. Kodechi

Kodechi New Member

Nothing.
    lool! I do practice my jump smashes a lot. haha But I rollerblade through crowds aswell.. So my footwork gets practice without actually being on court.. You have to realize that "Every little bit counts." ;D

12. DanhNguyen5.3

Ohh thanks, and i started playing again after days of rest and gain my speed and jump height back, and thanks for your advice, got me less paranoid :D LOL

13. DanhNguyen5.3

wow really off topic there lmfao

14. zicklers

zicklers Regular Member

executive
    did anyone know where can i get this jacket. interested to buy.

15. TimothyHsu

TimothyHsu Regular Member

high schooler
    Ankle weights?

Thoughts on ankle weights? Im thinking about getting 5lbs or less ankle weights to wear during my training sessions for when Im doing footwork drills.
    Cons and pros?
    Thanks

16. Granum

Granum Regular Member

I don't think there are any cons besides being tired..which isn't really one.

17. phili

phili Regular Member

If you put on too much weight it can harm your joints.

18. TimothyHsu

TimothyHsu Regular Member

high schooler
    So I shouldn't go beyond 5 lbs? Will it do any permanenet damage? I don't want to risk getting permanently hurt while using them

19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Instead of ankle weights, I would suggest a weighted jacket. This positions the weight around your core, not at your extremeties.

Even better, if you have the assistance of a partner, use a bungee harness. Your partner provides some tension as the initial push-off, and then follows you in slightly.

20. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Ankle weights can do harm to your knees. Weighted jackets are the way to go imo. Bintang badminton used to train kids with ankle weights, all their students have now switched to using weighted vests.