Impressive physique

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Ben Beckman, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Dictionary df. of Physique:

\Phy*sique"\, n. [F. See Physic.] The natural constitution, or physical structure, of a person.

Physique is not limited musclemass, propotions and size, but rather the sum of all body-attributes. Just beacuse we may share the same proportions, size and musclemass, doesn't mean whe have identical physique (doens't even mean we will look the same ;-) )

Just having different endurance for example MUST constitute a difference in physique.. (differences in lung-capacity, heart-muslce power, lactace tolerance in muscles etc)..

/Twobeer

2. paulchow

paulchow Regular Member

First of all, wth? Did u read ur own definition? Muscle "power" or lactace "tolerance" are not words used to describe body structure at all.

Next, I find it hard to believe Lin Dan impresses u more with his physique than Kevin L. I mean...u've never seen Dan's inherts b4...and Kevin is larger, more appealingly sculpted and more "powerful" looking in every way to me (since u like that word). His physique truly leaves an impression in the mind.

To cooler this discussion is obviously pointless because he's strictly adhering to the denotative nuance of "impressive".
    But hey, don't take the word out of context. It has a blatently positive connotation, especially in this realm of discussion. No one was mocking Dan Lin before when they said his physique was impressive. ;)
    im·pres·sive ([​IMG]m-pr[​IMG]s[​IMG][​IMG]v)
    Making a strong or vivid impression; striking or remarkable: an impressive ceremony.
    im·pres·sion ([​IMG]m-pr[​IMG]sh[​IMG][​IMG]n)
    An effect, feeling, or image retained as a consequence of experience.

In the end its just opinion, so whatever floats ur boat.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    If bodybuilder pec's and thighs turn (impress) you on, that's your cup of tea. I always thought that anatomic endowment meant to attract the opposite genders :rolleyes:

Lin Dan's impressive physique is related to athletic performance and function, not as to appeal to my visual senses.

#103 cooler, Aug 4, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2004
  4. paulchow

paulchow Regular Member

lol; to the homosexual reference...this whole thread was started about a bunch of ppl admiring dan lin's physique. Although, in hindsight, perhaps I shouldn't have said "appealing" ;) :(

From the definition two beer gave, physique has nought to do with performance/ability, but structure. How does one judge this but by appearance, or the effect on the visual senses? All of Dan Lin's more "practical abilities" and/or awe inspiring skills aside, are you more impressed by the way his body looks, or the way a body builder like Kevin Lev's body looks? I think if ur being honest with urself, the body builder probably leaves more of an impression. Still, its ur opinion.

#104 paulchow, Aug 4, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2004
  5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

It's obvious comfusion remain after all the explanation and debate on what is 'impressive' and 'phyisque', I like to attach a scernario of how 'impressive' and 'phyisque' can be performance and ability related. Note how 2 bodybuilder types are not so impressive. :p :D LOL

Attached Files:

6. paulchow

paulchow Regular Member

u know what, screw u and ur video game photos. We already defined physique and impressive but there's no more arguments I have to give. I'll just go on the internet and look at pictures of kevin levrone in a speedo to be turned on..er..I mean...to be impressed...:eek:

7. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

That's presuming people's sole consideration in buying a car is picking the most practical in. And in any case this is getting much off topic

Right, and it's just as likely for the big muscle guy to know those "secrets" and the small guy doesn't. You are confusing stronger with invincible. If you look at boxing/kick boxing/MMA/etc etc, size and weight is a huge advantage. Unless there is a large skill difference, an 160 pounder is not going to beat a 180 pounder. And certainly not a 200 pounder. Or a 220 pounder.... etc etc.

8. bigredlemon

Indeed. Look around. Old classic cars draw stares like no other. In downtown TO, lambos aren't that rare... open speedsters from the 30s are, and get more attention than any lambo or ferrari

impulsive = short term. BBing takes a half a dozen years to start.

and what does one's motivation have to do with the impressiveness of the result anyway? And your line of reasoning is getting increasingly tangential to the original topic.

Top BBers are freaks.... didn't you read my post about mutations :)
    OK :)

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    two things i noticed from this thread:

- who needs nuclear power? you just need to put bigredlemon and cooler in the same room, probably get just the same amount of heat.

- only i knew that the best way to forum members excited and posts a lot is to put up a few half naked pictures of *men* in the forum, i wouldn't have to spend so much time talking about badminton.

;)

10. bigredlemon

hy·sique (f-zk)
    n. The body considered with reference to its proportions, muscular development, and appearance.

The dictionary disagrees with you :)

Look back at the first few posts. Are they talking about lung capacity and lactose tolerance, or are they talking about muscle size and definition? :)

11. bigredlemon

attacking a person's sexuality is the sign of someone grabbing at straws :)

but you are entitled to your interesting albeit unorthodox definition of that word

12. bigredlemon

agree.

the title is "impressive physique" not "impressive performance"

there's a difference :)

13. bigredlemon

nosense! we are just having a delightful conversation :D

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

BRL, I dont think u have assessed my statement fairly. I only inferred that male physique meant to attract opposite genders, IT IS THE LAW OF NATURE IN MAJORITY CASES. It is Paul Chow's free will to disclose or not to disclose to us of his natural tendency, voluntary. I did not say he is or he isn't.
    It is Paul Chow that is doing the attacking and grabbing straws here. ;)

u know what, screw u and ur video game photos.

15. paulchow

paulchow Regular Member

lol. It seems outrageous to me that u would use a photo from a video game to make a point about human physique???:confused: I mean..one doesn't need a decent argument when you're resorting to such tactics. About the earlier comment on the appealing pecs and thighs, it's bizarre how it's impossible for one guy to admire another's body on an objective basis without being questioned for homosexuality, yet we can rave about another's skill or shot finess as much as we want. ( <-- We're all just kidding so dont take this too seriously. :eek: ) Yet, again, in retrospect i guess I shouldn't have said "screw u" while my sexuality is in question. :D

16. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Since last looking, this topic has changed off course dramatically!! :confused:

17. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Hadn't looked at this thread for awhile, just went through all three pages of it, and heres my opinion(s).

I'm going with BRL on this, the thread is on impressive physique, not most-suited-to-every-possible-situation physique. Sure, Lin Dan and his efficient, well-coordinated, low-fat body is well-suited for most "everyday," "practical," activities. But so is nearly everyone else in the developed world.

To prove this point, I have invented the Beach Test. Lin Dan and BB are walking beside each other along the beach. Who do you notice first, and spend the most time looking at (whether you admit it or not)? Do you even notice LD? The Beach Test is available for non-commercial use.

Starting with an average physique, one could obtain Lin Dan's muscular composition in a year working on it 30 minutes, every other day. Make that every day, plus diet/nutrition plan if you wanted to lower your body fat to that level.

My mouse is frozen at the moment, so I'm not bothering to see who wrote it, but anyways regarding the statement that goes along the lines of "Most sports are very one-sided in terms of muscular requirements.(1) One aspect of badminton I like is that it strikes a balance of requiring endurance and muscle strength equally.(2)"

1. Well, not everyone wants to play a sport similar to badminton. Some people like football (American), some like volleyball, etc. Turns out that, surprisingly enough, some of them enjoy playing competitively! And guess what, to improve their play, they will work on shaping their bodies to suit those sports. "Ooh, look at those dumb football jocks, with their big, bulky muscles. I am much more suited to manuevering a thin racket in order to strike the shuttlecock, which, in case you didn't know, can reach speeds of 200 mph at the elite levels!" Well, your average competitive football player is going to run straight through an average competitive badminton player. Arguing how different sports demand too much/little from a player's body is the same as the whole apples/oranges thing. Some sports involve body contact, some don't. (My vote is with apples, BTW)

2. The muscle strength required for badminton is nothing compared to the endurance required. To be a good player, you don't have to lift weights for one second. A coach who spent 3 months with the Chinese national training team in the 80's said that the only weighted exercises they did was using a leg press machine set at a very light weight, with many fast repetitions (think along the lines of the same motion as skipping rope, but with more resistance); and using a 2 pound weight in the hand, doing a motion that is hard to describe here, but basically is extending the forearm, working the tricep. Obviously, times have changed, training methods involve weights now. The best exercise for badminton is skipping. The coach said that Yang Yang's record for consecutive quadruple-skips was 78. (somewhere around there)

Bodybuilding isn't as easy as people think. I've read a minute-by-minute journal of a bodybuilder on a competition day, and the attention to what is eaten/drank is much more detailed than what a badminton player thinks about what to eat at a tournament. They have to time everything right in order to look their best for the judges. Things such as which foods to eat at certain times, to ensure they don't look to bloated, to ensure their veins are pumped, etc.

So, with respect to the original post, sure Lin Dan's physique is nice. But regarding the comments on his physique being more impressive than say, body builders, NFL players, etc., I'd have to disagree. How can you argue against guys' whose pure objective is to have massive, ripped, less-suited-to-"practical"-activity bodies?

Phil

A side note. I've heard somewhere that basketball involves the most motor systems from the body. Having played it, I find it hard to dispute. You have to be able to use both hands effectively, compared to badminton only have to use one hand.

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I guess sometime picture doesn't worth thousands words.
    By your quotes of the definition of:

im·pres·sive (m-prsv)
    Making a strong or vivid impression; striking or remarkable: an impressive ceremony.

The snapshot photo of the game quake was to emphasize that the meaning 'impressive' doesn't need to be use in the context of making visual impact. It does not have to relates to inspires visual awe as BRL had alluded. Impressive can be use in the context of performance based admiration - like nailing 7 frags in a row with a rail gun :p

I think this thread got drag on for so long was due to each individual definition of 'impressiveness'. You, BRL, phil find physique images relating to abnormality, exotic, rarity, disportional as impressive where as I find visual physique relating to performance and achievement excellence - high to highest form athletism. By your definition, a 1000 lb obesed person, an anoraxic, and people with certain disportional appendages have impressive physique as well. In that case, there is no shortage of impressive human physique that can also make visual impact

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I don't think so ;) I find Kevin L. is 'very disportional' :D

20. paulchow

paulchow Regular Member

Like I've said before don't take the word out of context: no one was insulting dan lin before when they said he has an impressive physique. the connotation is blatently positive. For example, when walking down the street no one who sees a rabidly obese person thinks to themself, "impressive".

About the proportions saying dan lin looks more proportional than Kevin L. is pointless and is still just ur opinion; you and I have no idea what the ideal human proportions are. To me kevin's physique still looks better, more awe inspiring, impressive, whatever you prefer to say, than dan's.

About the video game thing, thats still insane!!:mad: This thread is about impressive PHYSIQUE, not quake scores. If it was just called impressive or something like impressive skill, then yes, that argument would mean something.

:)

#120 paulchow, Aug 5, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.