HSBC BWF WORLD TOUR FINALS 2019 | 11-15 December (Group Stage-Final)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Interesting that they always beat each other 5x, but EndoW only had 1 title, compared to AhsanHendra 4titles or Minions 8 title.

2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yeah but thats sports, it will have hurt had EndoH won the GoldMedal but they didnt win anything as well. Its just a good old battle after losing 8 times in a row so they have some motivation.

With his qualities, he should have many more titles.

3. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Don’t think their tactic of targeting Watanabe (if Gill guessed correctly) was good, Endo’s definitely the weaker one

4. S Chandrasekhar

S Chandrasekhar Regular Member

People might consider luck to be skill, it's their opinion. Even if Endo/Wat Loose 500-0 to Ahs/Set 24-22 or 21-19 for me skill wise it is always even. A margin of 2 doesn't really talk about the qualities of skill, though people might disagree and they have every right to do so.

For me Endo is as good as a player as anyone is. Street smart abilities determine the cruel nature of who is best nowadays. ;)

trizzforce likes this.
  5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Don't listen to Gill for tactics, it's Steen's job. :p

6. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

You could make a case for skill level (though I wouldn’t agree), but mentally they are head and shoulders apart, and that’s why Ahs/Set can win these tight matches and finals with relative consistency, while Endo typically does not. It’s all in the head, as Gill says

7. S Chandrasekhar

NOOOOOO!!! If it was a mental block they wouldn't have come so closeeeee!! It's rather the finals as yoji says which is somehow preventing them. I am quite sure of this. Although they beat Li/Liu convincingly in the group stage, I am sure they would have lost if they had met them in the finals. I just don't see Japanese MD winning big titles not sure why. They just don't seem to have the street smart abilities of the Indonesians or the Chinese. That's why i like the Japanese.

8. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Curious though was Herry really telling Ahsan/Setiawan to target Watanabe? That’s what Gill guessed from his hand gestures

9. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

BTW did anyone feel that daddies are even better now than they're 3-4 years ago ? their defense are getting better, they also more relaxed nowadays (probably because they're not on the national team anymore). i think they're the main favorite to take the gold in tokyo.

10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I didn't watch the official stream so I have no idea. Maybe someone else could help?

11. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Being the favorites has its own pressure. But I don't mind Ahsan/Hendra replacing minions.

12. S Chandrasekhar

You are free to disagree. If you judge via on just street smart winning skills yes, AHS/SET are way apart. But i don't agree with the fact that Endo can't win close matches. It's just that he can't win BIG Matches, as with other Japanese MD players. Somehow Japan doesn't find a way to get through.

13. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

I'm not really sure but I think he's talking about how yuta usually gonna attack, i don't think he's telling them to target yuta on the defense but i could be wrong.

14. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

They are. If they take TokyoGold , i dont think they will retire. They will at least do their best to defend the WC title. Going to 11 Finals this year isnt someone who needs to retire.

Plus you want to enjoy being Olympic Champ for few years. Otherwise whats the point of winning it?

15. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

i hope Endo win the AE next year (and if possible Hayakawa on the coaching seat), as i doubt he'd continue after the Olympics.

16. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

no... the daddies will not give anyone a chance to break their unbeaten WC record as a pair :D

17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Then they can skip the WC :)

18. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Yeah hopefully someone could translate that. Targeting yuta on the defense is absurd to me, he’s so good

19. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

I hope that would be the case. if they won gold at tokyo and they can retain their title at WC the next year they'll be up there with cai/fu.

20. S Chandrasekhar

Yeah me too. For such a great player he deserves some title. Back of my mind i always knew somehow luck will favor the Indonesians and somehow they will find a way to win and thats what exactly happened. These Japanese are not street smart. And as you rightly said Yuta is beter than Endo in big game situations.