...how do u prepare for an incoming smash?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Phil, May 26, 2001.

1. Phil

Phil Guest

When I see that the opponent is winding up for a smash, I start "hopping" up and down slightly, with my feet probably leaving the ground up to an inch or so. Someone once told me that when you are standing relatively still, it takes an extra split-second for you to get in motion to receive a smash. Therefore, when you are already in motion, you don't require that extra "startup" time, so to speak. I find that when I do hop up and down, I always seem to return smashes more often. Anyone else do this? Or anything else?

2. Wins

Wins Regular Member

student
    I put myself in back hand state and shake my racquet.

3. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

Really I just look for visual cues on where he/she will be placing the smash, it might not even be a smash. Then I just bend my knees, stay on my toes, rock sideways, racket in front, then react.

There are two possible explanation for the reaction delay between standing still and moving. The first is facilitation, this potentiates nerves getting them ready to reach the action potential faster. The other is getting rid of the slack in your muscles, so that when you react there is less delay.

4. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    I swear dude, I have a hard time returning smashes. Last week alone, I got stuck in the groin area..(don't worry..it didn't hurt)..I got stuck in the mouth..(bird flew straight towards my lips and thus..hitting it..and I pulled a Louie. When I say Louie, it's from my friend David Louie..we were at a Cupertino open and when he tried to return a smash..the bird hit his racket..and then hitted him in the face..which was hella funny...I even got it on tape..but it hit my face this time..so my friends said I pulled a Louie. Only three known people I know pulled a Louie..me..Louie himself and another friend. But when I play with a feather shuttle, I have the upper hand of returning shuttles..cause feather are more slower..thus..easier to hit.

5. badmiton fan

badmiton fan Guest

i stay on my toes and keep my body in motion. racquet out to take the shuttle early.a bit of anticipation on were the bird will be sent, adjust my body and play the shot.i will not be left flet footed eigther, if they decide to drop shot or punch clear

6. harry

harry Guest

i dun think itz true that feathers are slower but i know that it hurts more when hit by a feather instead of nylon since the feathers are both heavier and bigger in size. i dun think hopping up and down is a good thing cos wat if you hopped up with the wrong timing and then you'll have to wait for yourself to land before you can go for the bird. I just usually stay on my toes and be ready to move

7. Don

Don Regular Member

Last year, I went to see the Canadian Open. I watched the Hong Kong MD vs USA MD final and found it quite interesting to say the least that it was really one sided. Anyhow, HK was smashing at USA like every other shot; however, the method of return by USA was quite interesting. They'd crouch sort of below the net with attacking foot forward and racquet in front in a ready position. In this position, USA was able to either drop the bird back, clear it or even better yet, stand strainght up to hit a drive. Crouching down also eliminates a target via a body smash and could posibly force your opponent to hit the net. I hope this helps.

8. Brett

Brett Regular Member

I wave my arms and scream "Time out! Time out!!!" That really distracts them and I don't usually have to return anything. ;)

Just kidding. Actually, I seem to do best on smash returns when I am in a zone where I am not focusing directly on the opposing player or the shuttle, but am just slightly out of focus on everything. It's kind of like being on autopilot. However, when this occurs, I often don't put quite enough energy into the return and my clears get smashed back several times.

9. Don

Don Regular Member

I've stepped up a bit in defending smashes. I guess playing squash in closed quarters has actually increased my ability to return quick rythmetic shots that I actually come in and cut off smashes 2 metres from the net with ease now.

10. AF

AF Guest

Re: ...how do u prepare for an incoming smash? (DO

hey Don,

I saw the Canadian open but the americans were having a good day defensively, too bad they had no luck in net rollers and serving badly into the net at crucial times...anyways, where do you play badminton? Assuming you are from the toronto area that is....

Returning a smash, hmmmm...luck.....hahaha...

AF

11. May

May Guest

To tell the truth, i dun, which means dat i'm nearly hopeless @ saving them. :D:D:D

12. Don

Don Regular Member

I'm do not live in TO, but in Ottawa.

13. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Personally, i would stand about a metre behind the T and make sure i am ready to move to either side......

14. AF

AF Guest

Oh well,

I must of been thinking of someone else here on BC that I thought played in toronto, oh well.....RA?

AF

15. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    split step

how about a split step timed so that you land as your opponent contacts the shuttle? the split step is a very important timing & preparation move in both tennis and badminton.

i'm not sure how effective it is against an imminent smash but i've noticed it used considerably after high deep serves and clears and in other situations by accomplished players.