How Do Independent Players Register A Tournament?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Ricks, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Ricks

Ricks New Member

Hi, all. I'm a newbie in this forum and this is actually my first post.

I'm a big fan of the sport, but it's only recently that I', thinking about the 'behind the scene' of a badminton athlete. One of my curiosity is in independent player, or player who has left the national squad. I'm wondering how they're registering into a BWF tournament? The only rules I found, is that a player could only register through a Member Association.

Does this mean that a player could only enter a tournament if they're permitted by the Member Association? And how do they reach this MA? Do they register through a website, or send e-mails to the said MA? I'm confused by the system. Can anyone enlighten me? Thank you very much.

2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Currently, only member associations(MAs) can enter players to international BWF tournaments. For more details, see the procedure document and, if you're into the nitty-gritty details, the instruction manual for MAs. Independent players must contact their national association (=MA). You can reach the MA (or one of its employees, for example a specific administrator, or the national head coach) like you would anyone else - talk to them in person, write a message, or call them.

The MA has full powers and can deny entry to the players. This has happened already. It's currently a point of discussion and one major point on the agenda of the Athlete's Comission. For more information, you may want to read this great badzine summary of the situation.