How did YOU get started????!!!

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kakinami, Oct 1, 2020.

1. N0ol3

N0ol3 New Member

I started because stringing in Singapore is getting more expensive and the turnaround time is too long, like a week for popular shops or 3 to 4 days at non-popular ones. The initial investment is a pain, but no pain no gain I guess. I only know of the Yonex 4 knots stringing pattern and that is good enough for me since it works for all racket brands that I have strung so far. Nowadays I help my friends and a badminton club I'm with to string their rackets as well since they can get it back in an hour, a day or two.

Edmund96, speCulatius and kakinami like this.
  2. PoopNoob123

PoopNoob123 New Member

Queen’s University

3. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I think there are new stringers in this forum! Bringing my thread back up, how did you get started?!! It is fun to hear how people got started stringing rackets, what machine you use and any other interesting things about you!
    I am sure people don't really care but I was also a professional bowler (2002-2011), I do have a PBA profile with nothing on it, I was the equipment manager for the San Jose Earthquakes for about 5 months in 2008, I played bass guitar, played a show at the Roxy and Whisky-a-gogo (12am slots on a Wednesday and Thursday), I used to ride a skateboard in high school, do a little vert pumping for cardio, no tricks a 50 year old doesn't recover as well from hard falls, played clarinet, was lucky enough to string for Naomi Osaka at her first WTA event at Stanford, Andy Murray was undefeated in San Jose (2006-2007 I think) did his sticks. Talked smack to Marcos Bagdatis with a smile ( he was a Man U fan and I liked Chelsea), strung a few for Venus and Serena, my last tennis tournament was in 2014 Bank of the West Classic in Stanford, CA, and last international badminton tournament was in London 2012. I currently use da Yonex Precision 8.0 and have owned an Ektelon Neos, ES5 Pro, ES5 Protech, Gamma ELSII, Gamma Progression II, Babolat Star 5, Alpha Ghost, Toyozouki String System 8 (Protech 8), Yonex Protech 8, and sitting in my parents garage is a Klippermate drop weigh machine and a Yonex ST3000. I had quite the collection of Yonex machines at one point.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SC-01L using Tapatalk

ah_lim, Cheung and DarthHowie like this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I would like to get a machine but CEO flatly refused. We don't have a garage sadly.

thyrif and kakinami like this.
  5. viver

viver Regular Member

I don't think you can change the CEO, but you can change to an apartment/house that could accommodate the machine! :p:cool:

kakinami likes this.
  6. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Build a man cave shed in the backyard?

Sent from my SC-01L using Tapatalk

7. viver

viver Regular Member

I would assume, Cheung would have done that if there was a backyard in his property...

As for myself, I have a backyard in my property, but my Boss flatly rejected the proposal for a new machine. The reason is that our 30-year old crank machine is still working well for our needs and based on my skills, this machine is more than enough!! :oops::oops::oops:

speCulatius, Cheung and kakinami like this.
  8. Canadaguyy

Canadaguyy Regular Member

Today marks one year since ive received my stringing machine so I thought I would revive this thread and tell you how I started stringing. I started playing competitive badminton last year in september 2023. My local sports store didnt have a stringing machine so they had to send it to another store to get my rackets strung which meant that it took about 2 weeks to get my rackets back. Most stringjobs broke within the first practice and most of the time within the warmup. One time, I counted 7 hits before it broke. That’s when I got interested in stringing my own rackets, so I started looking on the internet and that is when I found badminton central. I had alot of questions about stringing and I am very thankful to Smair, DarthHowie and others for having patience with me . I ended up buying a superstringer t12 from tennisman. Fast forward to today, I currently have 113 rackets strung (mostly mine and my brothers but around 16 for other people). My brother and I currently train twice per day on most days so lately ive been stringing around 7-8 rackets per week for ourselves.
    I find stringing relaxing and enjoy having music/podcasts or live badminton matches on while I string. Monday, I decided to bite the bullet and get myself a wise 2086 to upgrade my machine. Its a used wise but has only been used to string 10 rackets and I got a pretty sweet deal for it so I am very happy. Im looking forward to trying it out as soon as it gets here and will post a photo update of my machine in the stringing pictures thread!

Attached Files:

Jan P, Edmund96, I3ugs and 9 others like this.
  9. ninja801

ninja801 Regular Member

hi, i have been playing badminton for about 10 years, got competitive at local tournaments but then we had a kid so my wife and i had our badminton hours reduced. i got interested stringing a while back but never could afford a machine.

my friend and coach at the time, showed me how to string and I have also been learning a lot on this forum.

i eventually found a used Spinfire flame on marketplace on one of our road trips to Sydney. changed a few things on it to make it a little easier and faster. Now i found a unused wise v14 on the gold coast from marketplace. i am yet to try it, waiting for a string to break.

kwun, thyrif and Cheung like this.